Is Strava putting other MTB Riders and the general public at risk?

markyh990

Likes Dirt
A kangaroo ruined my Strava run last night, I yelled out and everything but it didn't want anything to do with moving

SuiKiwi

Likes Bikes
Giving way

I give way, regardless of whether I'm going up, coming down or on a Strava run. I create the world in which I want to live. Stuff what anyone else thinks.
Nice to see someone with a head on their shoulders that works.

Emmett

Likes Dirt
I have been riding riding off road for over twenty years, gotta say, I have never heard of ascending having right of way over descending. In fact I and everyone I know always adhere to the opposite, makes way more sense.
Disagree.

It's much easier to start rolling down a 10% (+) gradient than to start up it again.

IMBA Rules

*edit* Safety and sense first though of course...

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Disagree.

It's much easier to start rolling down a 10% (+) gradient than to start up it again.

IMBA Rules

How come there isnt a thread on ipod users? i yell out to let anyone coming to know i'm there on a couple of blind places on my local trails - one day there will be some numpty oblivious to the world outside, in the wrong place at the wrong time -

for me it doesnt matter uphill or downhill, if i hear or see another rider walker I brake hard.

Emmett

Likes Dirt
How come there isnt a thread on ipod users? i yell out to let anyone coming to know i'm there on a couple of blind places on my local trails - one day there will be some numpty oblivious to the world outside, in the wrong place at the wrong time -

for me it doesnt matter uphill or downhill, if i hear or see another rider walker I brake hard.
Couldn't agree more about the iPod Pharmaboy. Truth be told I spend far more time out on the road these days and am really surprised at how many people value entertainment over the safety of an extra sense. Looks like it would be really fun to ride with some tunes on though :)

For me it's safety and sense first, then giveway to those ascending. As an example if I'm climbing solo and hear a large bunch descending I'll get out of the way and let them pass.

I will not dismount up a single track pinch climb for a descending rider if they have room to stop. In saying that I'll always try and make space for both parties to pass safely without either having to dismount.

Yippee_Ki_YayMF

Likes Dirt
Disagree.

IMBA Rules

Common sense should away prevail. However the thing about common sense, is that it isn't that common.

Anyway, who cares about starting again after a stop, if you crash before you even get to that point??

Downhill = Faster.
Uphill = Slower.

It is so much easier to micromanage movements when going slower and get out of the way of the faster rider. Plus you have more time to react. It is far safer to give way to the descenders in my experience, which is what I always do when I am riding. Some rules out there are just plain stupid, and I usually ignore stupid rules........ unless common sense suggest otherwise at the time.

I know about the IMBA rule, but I don't agree with it. Just my opinion.

fergo

Likes Dirt
Common sense should away prevail. However the thing about common sense, is that it isn't that common.

Anyway, who cares about starting again after a stop, if you crash before you even get to that point??

Downhill = Faster.
Uphill = Slower.

It is so much easier to micromanage movements when going slower and get out of the way of the faster rider. Plus you have more time to react. It is far safer to give way to the descenders in my experience, which is what I always do when I am riding. Some rules out there are just plain stupid, and I usually ignore stupid rules........ unless common sense suggest otherwise at the time.

Since the Die Hard fan ^^^ is not the only one at fault here, this is directed at all the uphill - downhill arguers.
Thought this was a thread re Strava creating unsafe/non friendly mtb community, not some repeated BS about giving way. If you feel strongly to comment on it, go and find the right thread because ICBF.

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
2 sayings come to mid...... All in all - 'pride comes before a fall', and 'get over it'.... it's only a mtb after all. So what does this mean? If you happened to be riding U19 MTBA super D at Mt Buller XC All Mt Cup, you actually have the decency to stop for the fallen rider (well done Harry, Jack, Pete etc), a rider - who actually happened to needed to be air lifted to a Melbourne hospital and some re-constructive surgery. (Get well soon Mick). Stuff a 'strava run'. And if your ego is that big that you need to find some fulfilment in your perceived times - get over it. "Today's news becomes tomorrows fish and chip wrapper" as they used to say...... (Actually I sometimes wonder why any of us who have competed why we pay so much to do so. Perhaps we need to discuss the ethics of racing as such - at the end of the day - what does it all mean? Wow think how much MTBA could save for real improvements to tracks all over Australia is we didn't have national series etc - off topic). Maybe I'll just ride for the fun of it and save myself a pile of dosh and forget about my own inflated ego....

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Downhill = Faster.
Uphill = Slower.

You don't have more time to react. Assuming that both riders see each other at the same time, time to potential impact is identical irrespective of speed.

Hugor

Likes Dirt
Perhaps we need to discuss the ethics of racing as such - at the end of the day - what does it all mean? Maybe I'll just ride for the fun of it and save myself a pile of dosh and forget about my own inflated ego....
Agree with that completely. I used to race but now I find the racing part actually destroys a good ride. I treat them like organised group rides now.
Let the competitors take off and I'll cruise along following the signs having a laugh with my mates.

Back to topic.

I've just discovered Strava - I know what kind of rock have I been hiding under!!
I quite like the idea of being ranked and having my best times constantly updated mainly on some long climbs that I do.
I don't need the ego massage but its a good motivational tool to make you give it just a bit more.
I used to use the garmin virtual training partner to save a best time but this is much easier to use.
I've just got to work out how to mark strava start and end points on my garmin to know when to increase the output.

Tearing up busy trails chasing KOM's is potentially dangerous and like racing removes most of the fun for me..

Bermshot

Banned
I did one in the car today maxed out 71k's hr and elevated 10 mtrs. Smaaashed the PB.

Whats even better! A couple were doing leg warmers for the Husky Tri, so whilst I have the strava on in cheat mode cruising, I couldn't help but say STRAVA! out the window. I got a wry.

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
I've never been into racing due namely to being super unfit for many years but having Strava has been effective way of racing myself and trying to better myself. I do agree though that Strava has changed the way in which I ride as does any of the other programs Mapmyride - Garmin Connect.

I was a big fan of not having a computer on my bike so I could just enjoy MTB for what it is and forget about what time I'm doing on a certain segment but since my lovely wife got me a garmin edge for xmas I cant stop looking at the thing while I'm riding!

I noted the effect that Strava has had on me just after xmas when instead of stopping and talking with people who were obviously new to the sport I rushed past becuase I knew I was on a faster than average lap of Stromlo. The unfortunate part was that after pushing myself to the max I ended up not beating my best time and regretted not spending a few moments with those I passed on the trail.

I'm yet to see it endanger riders or the general public but as we know most of the trails in Canberra are one way.

Like anything if you choose to be lead by Strava or any of the other GPS softwares then its our choice, however I plan on racing the car up Mount Ainslie with Strava going just so I can have the number 1 spot in the rankings. I still think a few riders maybe faster than my car anyway.

fergo

Likes Dirt
Strava lawsuit

Was sent this today.

http://inrng.com/2012/06/strava-law..._campaign=Feed:+inrng/inrng0+(The+Inner+Ring)

41 yo male Rider dies whilst trying to get a Downhill road KOM that he'd lost the day before. Strava notified him he'd lost the KOM via email.

According to the details, the rider was going faster than the speed limit (35 mi/hr in 25 mi zone), crossed over centre line on a corner, had to avoid an oncoming car and then crashed into a tree.

Apparently its Strava's fault under California law according to his parents.

Tacky Monster

Likes Dirt
I had a strava crash a couple of weeks ago and banged myself up a bit - whose fault was it - MINE! It could have just as easily happened on another ride chasing some mates down a track.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
And it could just as easily happen in any one of a number of road and MTB races going on all around the world. Do we go whinging to the race organisers when we crash?

I just wish that Strava was smart enough to figure out if people were in cars or on bikes (not motorbikes) - there's probably people busting their asses out there to beat times that people have set while using Strava in motorised vehicles. Whilst this can happen by mistake (like shuttle days at the Youis), it's pretty retarded to get KOMs (on bike segments) in a car on purpose...

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
I see Strava as a bit like the guy who drives up beside you at the lights in his hotted up WRX and gives you a lil "come on, let's go" nod of the head. Noone's forcing you to go wrap yourself around a pole.