Is there a tool to cut cable ties neatly?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Scissors, side cutters, pliers, pocket knife, teeth. They all do the same job, neatness depends on the operator.

Rabble bukes

Likes Dirt
Sidecutters are good, you just need to be shown the right way to do it. Hard to explain, but you face the flat side of the cutters down (most sidecutters have a flat side and an angled side) and hold one side of the cutting edge against the block bit of the cable tie, and the other against the bit to be cut, so they are on a 45 degree angle. Then just force the cutters closed, dont 'snip' it, should leave a clean cut. That probably made no sense, but thats the way i do it, works very nice.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Thanks for raising this issue richie! I too hate the sharp pointy bits left behind after cutting cable ties. For years have been doing this the hard way! Which has been to cut it off with a moyle's knife then use a fine grit sand paper to smooth up the finish. Before that I went through a stage of using the angle grinder and also a naked flame to melt it off and leave a soft edge. Fuck me! Think of all the time I have wasted...

Thanks for the suggestions guys, does anyone know if there is instructional videos on you tube?

cooki_monsta

Likes Dirt
Yes.

im a sparky by trade and the only cutters that will cut them flat perfectly are

marvel ma-600

L&h electrical wholesalers carry them and they are about $40 but they are the only cutters I use on cable ties

stinky dee

Likes Dirt
Pretty much any pair of pliers or side cutters will work. You just need the knack. Get a sparky to show you. Place one blade on the piece that is to be cut off and the other blade on the end of the knuckle. As you cut (be careful not to close the blade completely) flick your wrist so the blade touching the excess runs across the face of the knuckle, leaving a smooth face.
I know it's a bit in depth explanation but it's a pet hate of mine at work. Nothing worse than razor sharp ties that cut your arms to buggery!

stinky dee

Likes Dirt
Sidecutters are good, you just need to be shown the right way to do it. Hard to explain, but you face the flat side of the cutters down (most sidecutters have a flat side and an angled side) and hold one side of the cutting edge against the block bit of the cable tie, and the other against the bit to be cut, so they are on a 45 degree angle. Then just force the cutters closed, dont 'snip' it, should leave a clean cut. That probably made no sense, but thats the way i do it, works very nice.
Beat me to it rabble!
Depending on the side cutters, if you get it just right, as you cut, you can actually pull the tie half a click out when cutting and once cut, it retracts back into the knuckle leaving a perfectly smooth finnish

Last edited:

Rider_of_Bikes

Likes Dirt
Use blunt nosed pliers pressed flush into the clip and twist the ends off. Comes off clean 99% of the time.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
as a sparky also, I think it should be a crime punishable only by death....
its a piece of piss once known how do it correctly..
once you have zipped up the tie nice and tight, grab the tail (shitty bit to be cut off) right up at the nut, as close as you can get, but be sure to have your pliers(and only pliers will work correctly, leave the sidies in the tool box) inline with the tail, running parallel with it..with a nice firm grip on the pliers, its just a short sharp twist, either way should work (if you are a south paw!)
works almost all of the time if done correctly...no need to cut with a hobby knife or anything stupid like that, asking for trouble!
have a go, you will be surprised how friggin easy it is!~