Is this 29 worth it?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I've been riding 29ers 100% since 2009, been noticing lately that manufacturers are speccing 29's with 100mm forks and 69° head angles, the same bike with 27.5's has 120mm fork, dropper post, knarlier tyres and 67° head angle. A mate asked me to help him decide over a 920 and 720 Scott Scale, thinking they were just different tyres sizes... they are completely different orientated bikes, the 29er being XC race and the 27.5 being more trail.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
By that logic I have a mistress somewhere I’m not aware of. I’m so sly I didn’t even realise!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Apologies to Rangawal for diverting attention away from the purpose of this thread.

Bikes will make you happy. They solve a lot of life's problems.

Buy something nice, make sacrifices elsewhere if you have to.

Reactions: Zaf
Z

Zaf

Bikes will make you happy. They solve a lot of life's problems.

Buy something nice, make sacrifices elsewhere if you have to.
+1
Treat a bike purchase like a L'Oreal ad, but this time actually know that you're worth it, rather than having it undermine your self esteem.

I know it's a hard ask, but if you can stretch the budget to about $1500 you get so much more than that extra $500 would seem over a $1000 bike. The $1000 is just enough that product managers have to make really big sacrifices to the build, $1500 starts getting solid entry level forks and drivetrains that do genuinely outperform the $1000 mark.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/nukeproof-scout-290-race-bike-2018/rp-prod159431
Link for case in point.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
In my experience, everything before Switch Infinity is brutal for maintenance.
I typically keep my bikes for a long time (average ~7 years). I think a Switch Infinity would flame out well before that benchmark.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Nick 77

Squid
As a Yeti rider I agree, bearings in the original Switch have never lasted a long time. It rides great but requires regular maintenance. In terms of a 29er
Cyclelink in Bayswater has some specialized frames behind the counter for under $200.00. Older models but brand new. I have been planning a single speed build using a Rockhopper but need to make room for another bike first. They also had a 2013 Camber with shock for a little over $400.00 Size M.
Seems like a good start.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yeah, some of the yeti frames are on a bit of serious crack too.

Poodles you some 29er Zelveys to whip a bit higher.