Is this the right attitude towards mtb advocacy and trail maintenance?

ido09s

Likes Dirt
No probs, you needed an example and i basically asked to be that example

It will be good to get maintenance days at the dam happening though. I see stuff gets done, some trees cut back here and there, but from what i was aware there was meant to be no public works being carried out

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Encourage more people to participate ...

To encourage those with knowledge to educate.

To highlight to those that Do not currently participate that they can influence events. With a little effort.

more hands means light work ... (potentially) which means more riding. Martin can you run this by your PR mate. Feel free to sexy it up.
That pretty well sums up my thoughts. It's up to others to respond and when I've seen a lack of response I've pushed a little harder on each issue until it obviuosly became too much for some to handle and "the blog" was posted. Everyone can see how it's gone from there for whatever reason. :)

martinpb

Likes Dirt
Encourage more people to participate ...

To encourage those with knowledge to educate.

To highlight to those that Do not currently participate that they can influence events. With a little effort.

more hands means light work ... (potentially) which means more riding. Martin can you run this by your PR mate. Feel free to sexy it up.
I'll get chance to catch up with them in a couple of weeks time and start to bash out ideas. It's pretty ammusing that they forgot the build day the other week (been doing 12 hour days/ 7 day weeks for a month) - but that this fits well with their skill sets and would a contribution that I couldn't make before the rapture (i.e. never!)

That said, once we have a strategy set up we'll probably need on the decks communications people bashing out info to the riders - if anyone fits that bill, I'd love to hear from you!

I'll let you know what comes out of it.

'Ross

Eats Squid
Seeing that thread just reminds me of my poor form lately, no decent internet arguments for several months:(

I feel I could make some pretty valid points about the discussion, but they have probably already been made... So I'll leave you with this:

In many 'community's' or 'scenes' or whatever you want to call them, these exact issues arise all the time, I can think of dozens of examples off the top of my head.

I think a lot of people are trying to reach a middle ground between an exclusive and controlled circumstance (where those on the outside despise those on the inside) or a public free for all (where rifts occur due to the different behaviour and attitude of those involved)

I say forget about the middle ground, its not going to happen, and when it does the same issues will just come around anyway.
Make the most of the public free for all, it serves its purpose...and if you can try to set up your own exclusive circumstance or get involved in one, then you can forget about all the bullshit and just get on with it.

If that made no sense then that is just unlucky, but its the truth.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Middle Ground

Seeing that thread just reminds me of my poor form lately, no decent internet arguments for several months:(

I feel I could make some pretty valid points about the discussion, but they have probably already been made... So I'll leave you with this:

In many 'community's' or 'scenes' or whatever you want to call them, these exact issues arise all the time, I can think of dozens of examples off the top of my head.

I think a lot of people are trying to reach a middle ground between an exclusive and controlled circumstance (where those on the outside despise those on the inside) or a public free for all (where rifts occur due to the different behaviour and attitude of those involved)

I say forget about the middle ground, its not going to happen, and when it does the same issues will just come around anyway.
Make the most of the public free for all, it serves its purpose...and if you can try to set up your own exclusive circumstance or get involved in one, then you can forget about all the bullshit and just get on with it.

If that made no sense then that is just unlucky, but its the truth.
Ross you are right that you cant make everyone happy all of the time. I believe as more trails are being built on private land that level of exclusivity will increase. As far as building goes then each club can have its own culture/ expectations on its members - dont like it dont join - but l think it would be dangerous to enforce those expectations on publicly open trails and free trails. The people who build those trails can get pissed off because they dont have the assistance but at the end of the day if they dont dig someone else will step up and do it (or not). If a builder wants to give someone a hardtime and is overly aggressive about it then tell em to shove it. They have no idea of your commitments and that is the wrong way to go about it. If you feel like you can do more then offer your assistance - if your help is not required and the trail builders would prefer to limit the input - cool. Likewise if you are a builder and need a hand then please ask and if the response from the general public is tragic then you have tried.
From posting here l have been approached to assist with some trail mantainance. I was given two different sites and the option to choose which days over the next two months suit me best. The organisation will then select the day with the greatest response and notify all. Great to have the options and clear expectations - and l am looking forward to it. Do l feel pressured to do more - maybe alittle - but thats me and sometimes l ned a little direction and motivation and to be reminded that l can help.
Riding the Yarra last week l stopped to build a log roll over an obsticle. Two guys rode past and didnt even stop - cool. Then a guy pulled up, helped me build, test rode our handy work, quick chat and off again - perfect. Each to there own. Think about how often you say hello to a rider on the trail and you get no response - you could get pissed off because it is rude- but that will not make them more approachable/friendly or more like yourself. F*ck it l say and have a good day - cause l certainly will.
If you want to help out on your local trails then just ask. If you dont know what to do - just ask. Communication is key. The 5% rule is cool with me as a guide - and it doesnt have to be digging as mentioned.
Holy crap the weather in Melbourne is insane. Have a good weekend gang
JD