Jet Black 12 hours

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Can't help it...

Its 1/3 of how hard it is to ride 24hrs and about twice as hard as riding 8hrs...

:)

bridge over the river...Kwai?

Yip this was my first 12 hour event ever last year. The race was well organised and Jetblack where there in impressive style and support, amongst others. I was part of a team of 4 which was a pretty cool way of doing this event because it gave me time to rest up or watch other riders. The night section was pretty challenging for me( I hate riding at night!), and I stacked off the little bridge just over a 1/4 of the way. Fortunately nothing bust and my mate was the next rider around the bend. He picked me out anddusted me off and away we went. I'll be back for more this year!!!

davzab

Likes Dirt
Can't help it...

Its 1/3 of how hard it is to ride 24hrs and about twice as hard as riding 8hrs...

:)
I'd agree with the 1/3 as hard as a 24 solo, but I recon if you can do an 8 hour with kiling yourself, you will get through this fine.. I don't see too much difference only that you have to concerntrate on the night section a bit more after riding all day.
like spoon said, it's as hard as you want to make it.. ride to enjoy..

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Taking tongue out of cheek... the Sydney 12 was my first race in 06, was supposed to be a pair but my partner crashed out in the first lap. Did about 7 laps and was stuffed (of course that was about 35kg ago...).

Done 3 24hr races now and never completed a 12 so on that basis... 12hrs are harder than a 24!

Best thing about enduros is that you ride at your own pace... just take it easy and remember to pace. Much more rewarding to be passing guys who took off at the beginning rather than being a cramping mess 1/2 way through!

Well this would be my first 12hr and my 3rd race overall. I'm only new to the sport and I really loved Capital Punishment and the Husky and then my brain snapped and I thought why not a long race and see if I can do that......Or am I kidding myself and trying to pedal before I can coast?

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Well this would be my first 12hr and my 3rd race overall. I'm only new to the sport and I really loved Capital Punishment and the Husky and then my brain snapped and I thought why not a long race and see if I can do that......Or am I kidding myself and trying to pedal before I can coast?
My third race ever was a solo 8hr at penrose. I stopped a couple of times for a break, racked up 100km's (I thought that was a long way then) finished about mid field, been racing solos pretty much ever since.

it's only a bit over a month away, and I have no idea what sort of fitness you're at, but I'd say you've got nothing to lose! just keep it realistic and fun, expect to (or even plan to!) stop and have a break or three, don't expect to ride the whole course every lap, or even plan to walk sections from the get go. Set a realistic goal too! whether that's to be still riding at the finish, or to ride blocks of 4hours, or a distance goal or whatever.

There are plenty of threads on this forum for advice on how you should go about it, from nutrition to training to pacing, whatever... so have a search and a flick through.

I reckon it will probably be one of the hardest things you will ever have done, but if you set a realistic goal that's a stretch but achievable, even if you don't make it, I guarantee you'll have a grin from ear to ear!

HTH

Cheers
Spoonie

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
If you've done Husky and Capital Punishment (the race that keeps on giving - or rather taking!) then you'll be fine :) Probably the hardest thing is that lap format enduros are mentally tough... its hard when you're buggered to go out for yet another lap (I've had some 8hr races where I've been telling myself 'I'll just do one more then quit' for the better part of 6 hours :) )

DaGonz

Eats Squid
I should clarify that the two races were only the 50k versions......
I'm not going to tell you "oh you shouldn't blah blah" and I don't think anyone should. You just need to be realistic about what you can achieve. maybe you just want to break a distance PB? But there is no harm in riding for a while, resting for a couple hours, riding a bit more, resting... whatever.

To quote badly "you choose your level of involvement"

you can ride for 12hrs, or you could ride for less than 1. I guess it depends on what you want to get out of entering the 12hr. Perhaps joining a team might be a better option...

Most people enter a 12hr solo because they have a goal they want to achieve, or desperate for an entry, or don't have any friends ;)

*shrug*

Cheers
Spoonie

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
One thing I would suggest is go & do a club race. It can be pretty frustrating getting past tired wobbly solo riders with headphones on and turned up loud who have no idea of how to or how to be passed.

Oh I have no problem passing slow riders.............oh, hang on, you meant me:eek:....ah... in the last two races I gained valuable experience in giving way or pulling over as some cycle nazi, I mean overly fit cyclist in their youth or even an uber fit senior citizen wanted to fly by me..

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You'll be right mate,

Just ride around at a sensible speed,( enough to not blow up halfway through the day)
when you finish you'll realize how much faster you "should" have gone.

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
Carlosdjakal most people will give a heap of reasons why they wouldn't do a 12hr solo other than, I just don't want to, which is cool because no one really cares. You on the other hand are looking for a reason TO do it, so I say " just do it " because then you can say " hmmm next time I'll......" or " what a stupid idea that was", but you won't die wondering, lifes too short my friend.
As Dagonz said have a trawl through here, there is some good threads too get some good tips from but just have a go and keep it at your pace, you'll be fine.
Hope that makes sense.

adz

Likes Dirt
Can peeps give some insight into what the track is like please?

the more info the better...

cheers

Adz

Also is there camping? accomm close by? what are the best options for sleepage on the Fri night? I am coming up from Melbs and my manager is keen to get some of this stuff sorted :)

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
no camping

no camping is allowed there anymore, best main place to check out is springwood.

Track is typical sydney sandstone singletrack