JetBlack twenty four hours Sydney 2010

tex72

Likes Dirt
Great work Martin & Juliane!

Even though the rain put a bit of a dampener on the weekend, the event was run A+. Everything from the location, roaming trail fairies, communication about the pause/restart, timing tent cheering you on by name all made for a very enjoyable event.
Had a great vibe both out on track & around transition with a real feeling of 'we are all in this together' with everyone cheering each other on.

A big thanks to the Nonstop Chatter Team(Congrats on your podium)for pimping out their pit bitch (Myra, you are a legend:cool:) and patching me up after my run in with the drain grate:eek:. Also to Todd & the Turgid 6 for their support(Congrats on your podium).

Last edited:

SSDave

Likes Dirt
The race had an "ITS ON!" kind of feel to it when it re-started. I think many of us solos thought to stick at it because surely no one else would back up for this. I tried to catch Alistair Cooke, SSDave and Fezi but they were still too strong - I stopped at 11AM Sunday with all my sets of brake pads used up (and my legs were pretty much gone too).

Thanks to the Rocky Trail Entertainment crew and fellow MTB nutbags I'll be back next year - if Del Rio thinks having 450 riders churning and many supporters up their campground is worth it.
Must admit it was hard to wait at the restart and watch Alistair ride off for with a 1:58 head start!! I was like come on, let me go already!! He's getting away!!

I loved that climb, it was fun pasing alot of the peoples heading up that, but they would pass me every bloody time we got back to the bottom of the hill and rode the flat section again.

fezi

Likes Dirt
Must admit it was hard to wait at the restart and watch Alistair ride off for with a 1:58 head start!! I was like come on, let me go already!! He's getting away!!

I loved that climb, it was fun pasing alot of the peoples heading up that, but they would pass me every bloody time we got back to the bottom of the hill and rode the flat section again.
Try watching you two guys putting a lap on me while I waited 48mins... Either way it was a fun weekend. Think I would have preferred to go down through vietnam and the gully rather than that fire trail on the Sunday though.
Nice job RTE, shame the weather put a stop to it overnight.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Great work Martin & Juliane!

Even though the rain put a bit of a dampener on the weekend, the event was run A+. Everything from the location, roaming trail fairies, communication about the pause/restart, timing tent cheering you on by name all made for a very enjoyable event.
Had a great vibe both out on track & around transition with a real feeling of 'we are all in this together' with everyone cheering each other on.

A big thanks to the Nonstop Chatter Team(Congrats on your podium)for pimping out their pit bitch (Myra, you are a legend:cool:) and patching me up after my run in with the drain grate:eek:. Also to Todd & the Turgid 6 for their support(Congrats on your podium).
I cant beleive what you put yourself through mate!:eek:, it was a stunning effort, great to see the influence of a fellow "turgid fella" doing his thing!..See ya soon Trent, legend!

austy

Likes Bikes
i was wondering if anyone had any tips on cleaning my bike chain post race, my cogs and chain are all a rusty colour and the chain has lots lttle holes/abrasions (as if termites has go into it) is it salvageable or do i need a replacment? i hosed my running gera every few laps but maybe didnt lube as much as i should have, any preventive measures for next time?

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i was wondering if anyone had any tips on cleaning my bike chain post race, my cogs and chain are all a rusty colour and the chain has lots lttle holes/abrasions (as if termites has go into it) is it salvageable or do i need a replacment? i hosed my running gera every few laps but maybe didnt lube as much as i should have, any preventive measures for next time?
Quite simple really

Be Jason English

Have two brand spanking never before ridden bikes with full Sram XX Groupos

Have a dedicated staff washing each bike after its done just two laps

I was waiting in line for the hose after the race and saw the guy washing the bike (its post race hosing was 10 times as comprehensive as the cleaning I give my bike in a year - it took a while - but I cant complain, I had my pit crew turn the hose on me as well as my bike)

it was pristinely clean

On the other hand, If like the rest of us mere mortals you only have one bike, I have no idea!

DHdreamer

Likes Bikes
I was waiting in line for the hose after the race and saw the guy washing the bike (its post race hosing was 10 times as comprehensive as the cleaning I give my bike in a year - it took a while - but I cant complain, I had my pit crew turn the hose on me as well as my bike)
That hose was a godsend. As my LBS had told me pre-race that my chain was already "off the wear indicator" I know I'm defo up for a new chain...plus cassette, and jockey wheels...:rolleyes:

GOD12A

Likes Dirt
Heya AUSTY!!

If you do enough riding, that MUC OFF pink stuff is great. I have never bought bike cleaning products coz I thought they were a wank, but this stuff is good!! It will chew through any dirt and leave your bike looking as clean as it can be, PLUS you can get it on your brake rotors and they won't squeal and carry on at all. Not cheap though. I have a few bikes to clean so it's worth the money.

Also sounds like your chain is dead, I'd be replacing it and getting your cassette looked at, you may have chewed that up too.

Mark :)

ADZO

Likes Bikes
Firstly sweet event, it's ashame it rained but for my team of three it was probably the help we needed as I am sure we all headed into the race well under prepared thinking we were on the money. A flat just before they called it meant that first place managed to go a lap up us before the break, but we were all a little excited sitting in second place. Sunday turned into a smash fest with all teams fighting for spots, two more flats in my first two laps saw us fall from 2nd to 5th which was dissapointing so we will be back next year rain hail or shine.

Prop's go to all the solo riders that competed this event you guy's are truely amazing.... mayby slightly disturbed as well !

ADZO

Likes Bikes
Firstly sweet event, it's ashame it rained but for my team of three it was probably the help we needed as I am sure we all headed into the race well under prepared thinking we were on the money. A flat just before they called it meant that first place managed to go a lap up us before the break, but we were all a little excited sitting in second place. Sunday turned into a smash fest with all teams fighting for spots, two more flats in my first two laps saw us fall from 2nd to 5th which was dissapointing so we will be back next year rain hail or shine.

Prop's go to all the solo riders that competed this event you guy's are truely amazing.... mayby slightly disturbed as well !

ja_har

Likes Dirt
Brakepads

When one set of pads wore out just from the grit on the climb up the hill before I even used them I just gave up running any rear pads at all. Did the last three laps last sans rear pads. It stopped them wearing out so i could focus on the front.. The gully and 661 switchbacks were awesomely fun with no rear brakes. 'point it and pray' was the motto and managed to stick a line every time... much prefered the gully over the sunday fireroad painfest, even in the torrential rain. Martin made the right call though for safety reasons.

One of the guys with us but riding solo, his calipers gave out at 5.30 Saturday so he did the next 7 laps with no brakes at all. That's commitment in that rain to get 7 of 17 laps with no brakes.
(Edit - This guy whose posted below..)

Last edited:
What an experience!

I just finished my first 24 hour solo, well I guess it was only a 12 hour actually. Anyway, it was very rewarding, despite the rain. I did 17 laps, 11 on Sat and 6 on Sunday. My brakes completely seized up on the last lap on Sat (strange, both lever pistons stuck. The pads/pistons wouldn't move) The guys from Blackmans couldn't do anything about it. I slept Sat night thinking, do I just pack up and go home in the morning? No. I decided I could run down all the downhill bits instead. So I did. Quite hard on the body and tiring. I am glad I stuck it out.

Anyway, I'm now in the market for a new set of brakes.

crummy?

Likes Dirt
Sydney 24

There was everything to race for, some people this was their chance to qualify for Worlds. For others their first 24hr event, in a team or solo. At the pointy end of the 24hr solo race, this was pay day. This was the first of many events in Australia this year to hand out a large plastic cheque. Could this see the World Champion travel to all qualifying events for this guaranteed financial reward?

One track, one day, two races and a week of rain. This was the setup.

seanb888

Likes Bikes
Loved it

Like others it was my first 24h.
I was terribly disappointed when the race stopped. I was having a ball. Yes it was getting a bit freaky out there but damm good fun. However, I could hardly see the track (river) on my final lap during the night due to the rain and can understand the responsibility of the RTE. They did a great job and I will be back next year.

I was lucky to have three mates who endured that weather and supported me. I brought them a white board and marker so they could have some fun. It was great to come in each lap to see what ridiculous messages they had for me. This, the great vibe out on track and the amazing conditions are just some of the reasons I rate that as the most memorable event I have ever been in. Had many a good chat on course and the determination of all riders is to be commended.

When I woke up Sunday morning I had not sleep and the last thing I was up for was a 4 hour dash. I just had to remind myself everybody was in the same boat. However with a lot of "harden up" from the boys out we went. That was the hardest ride I ever done but the most rewarding. All in all, had a blast, learnt what riding in mud is like and finished 12th.:cool:

Big thanks to RTE, my mates, last lap borat, all the support teams cheering us on, the guys at the golf club for great heckling and every other competitor out there.

Cheers Sean

bingobong

Likes Bikes
I had a blast and this race had everything. Fast fireroad, leg sapping climbs, wet technical singletrack, steep descents and rain and slippery mud everywhere to boot - this was a real test of mind, body and equipment!

Huge props to the organisers to make this a great event despite the challenging conditions. After the rains from last year they were well prepared with an alternate track which let the race continue on Sunday. And although I was having a blast in the mud and rain they made the right call to pause the race at just the right time - I was just thinking to myself on my last lap before the pause that this was getting really dangerous and that someone might get hurt if it went much longer. I also really appreciate the guys working tirelessly on track maintenance throughout the race and throughout the night in the pouring rain to try and keep things safe and rideable for us all.

The cabins proved to be gold yes you can call me soft but it is still one the the reasons why I love this event and the conditions made it worth every cent! Also huge props to my Shimano XT brakes - one set of metallic brake pads got me through the whole race they kept going right to the end of my 19 laps!

GOD12A

Likes Dirt
Any more pics??
Would love to see some from the muddy sections of the last lap!!

Thanks to ALCHEMIST for his pics too ;)

Mark!!

Conster

Squid
yeah awesome event, my 1st solo race, would have been great to do the whole 24 hours, but the right decision by race organisers...I preferred the Sunday course - the upside to having little or no brakes is it improves your downhilling skills, I took those runs WAY faster than usual and it only made me a better rider :D

I see photos should be coming in the next few days at www.marathon-photos.com

Gotta share this one....I was riding in the gully - that tall reed section, very narrow, rider behind me yells:

Other rider: "can I come past ya mate"

Me: "well it's pretty narrow, nah wait for a bit...unless you're Jason English":rolleyes:

Other rider zips past me on the right

Me: "ha! it's you!"

Jason English: "ÿeah I thought you recognised my voice"

Me: pissing myself laughing as he disappears into the distance...

Also gotta say how good to finish an enduro race and within seconds of crossing the line you get a cold open beer thrust into your hand! - didn't touch the sides!:D