Join the gym or spend the time riding more?

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok, so my work is offering a program where I can join pretty much all the gyms and pools on the Sunshine Coast for 10 bucks a week. One of the gyms is right across the road from my office.

I've never stood foot in a gym, or used a weight bench etc. Sell me on the benefits of doing some gym, as opposed to spending that time riding.

P.S, I have until 5pm today to join.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is there a contract? If not and for $10 a week just give it a try.

I like the gym, I do cycle classes and boxing sometimes.

If you have time to ride more and that's what you want to do then ride more. If you are time poor and want to get a higher level of general fitness then gyms are great

driftking

Wheel size expert
Riding doesn't stimulate every muscle likewise riding is developing different muscle fibers.
A gym can allow you to work the body to more stress with weight, you can also isolate your body to work on weaknesses. You can focus easily on power, strength, size or endurence with excess or more stress for force higher levels of adaption. Riding doesn't offer the same control level of stressors so it is hard to develop some goals.

Improving muscle mass or density will
Increase BMR likewise you can develop a better power to weight ratio.
Riding is brilliant training but there is a reason many riders and other sports man spend a lot of time in the gym off season.

Also of it rains you can still do your cardio at the gym.
Weight up if you will use it enough. If your not going to use the gym at least twice a week probably not worth it. If a session cost you 8bucks and you go once a week no point spending 10 your just loosing money.

Last edited:

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i'd join for 2 reasons, lunchtime workouts, I would do treadmill (walk/run) and stepper and swim, all good calorie burners, ! It's a good deal as it gets you training at lunchtime. wouldn't do spin etc, as you want to save your legs for real riding.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I personally can't stand gyms but I can see the main benefit is that you can go there pretty much any time and you can do a 30minute thing and be done with it. With your choice, I reckon $10 for pool membership is prolly better value, presuming you can sneak the kids in and your brain doesn't melt after a couple laps.

As an argument for just ride more ... I do a bit of circle work at a reserve near me ... basically it is linking together a bunch of garden beds and skirting around a soccer field. I do it like a series of sprints sometimes on my DH, sometimes on my XC etc etc. Think of it as a series of corners which I try and hammer as hard and as drifting as I possibly can ... which then leads to the straights around the soccer pitch which again I try and hammer as hard as I can. All up I last maybe 15 to 30mins and I'm absolutely shagged.

At my peak I was doing a couple laps flat out, prolly 400m at most per lap, a few times an arvo to escape the kids

You do tend to look a bit odd riding around in circles, sometimes giggling madly whilst picking yourself up off the ground after blowing a corner and crashing your brains out, but frack it. I've had some awesome sunsets over my track, definite fitness and skills improvement and more saddle time, all for nix and minutes from the house and family. Doesn't take much ... just need to be creative about where you do your circle work

scblack

Leucocholic
For $10 a week, just do it.

Even if you just swim at lunchtimes, or hop on a stationary bike, for that price you can't go too wrong.

lettuce

Squid
it takes some time to get a little training schedule going in a gym but after you start to see some gains it is quite addictive - and especially good for your posture/aches and pain prevention/physique/eye candy.

dunndog

Eats Squid
it takes some time to get a little training schedule going in a gym but after you start to see some gains it is quite addictive - and especially good for your posture/aches and pain prevention/physique/eye candy.
Bom bom... too little too late mate.
Did you join Wellsy?

Zam

Likes Dirt
For $10 a week get in the gym and build some LBM, your body becomes much more efficient at burning body fat with a greater lean body mass, not to mention it will assist with your riding.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep joined, have to wait for my membership card before I can go. Doesn't come till nearly the end of the month, so might not get in until new year.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I couldn't stand going to the gym because of the people who go to gym. Bunch of meat heads. I'd rather go riding.
But for $10 week, across the road from work. That's great. Good luck.
Don't forget the iPod and do your own thing. Ease into it.

I once said "put on more weights"
The instructor said "there isn't any more"