Jongewaard wins Aus XC champs despite protest - what happened?

slowK

Likes Dirt
From the race report on cyclingnews.com

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/australian-mountain-bike-national-championships-cn-1/cross-country-elite-and-under-23-men/results

Jongewaard faced a rider protest at the conclusion of the event after a clash with eighth placed Ben Henderson from Canberra on the first lap.

UCI commissaries upheld the protest, hitting Jongewaard with a fine and 30-second penalty to take the South Australian to an official time of 1:43:50, but it was not enough to relegate him from the gold medal position.
Curious to know what happened.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cycling Central said:
At the close of the race Jongewaard's victory was thrown into doubt with the rider facing a protest arising from an opening lap altercation with Canberra's Ben Henderson.

UCI commissaries upheld the protest, hitting Jongewaard with a fine and 30 second penalty to take the South Australian to an official time of 1:43:50, but it was not enough to relegate him from the gold medal position.
http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/news/21457/Jongewaard-wins-controversial-XC-final

Still don't know what happened though.

akashra

Eats Squid
I have now heard the details of the incident from two spectators, separate from each other, who witnessed the event first hand. None of what I heard was of any surprise at all considering the way I've witnessed him behave at other events.

I will be requesting more info and as much of a 'please explain' as a non-competitor can. However, I expect that won't get very much info. The penalty seems to be nothing more than a "lets apply a penalty that shows we've acted, but not enough that it can change the result".

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
+1 was watching late news on ABC last night and the actual footage of the incident was shown.
I did not see it but +1 said Something about an elbow from CJ whilst going around a corner and the other guy falling and eating sh*t. Other guy got up and had the reaction of "WTF".

The news article also made mention of CJ's past conviction.

sidetrack

Likes Dirt
I will be requesting more info and as much of a 'please explain' as a non-competitor can. However, I expect that won't get very much info. The penalty seems to be nothing more than a "lets apply a penalty that shows we've acted, but not enough that it can change the result".
Why bother you weren't elbowed, let the people involved sort it out and we will find out in due coarse.

akashra

Eats Squid
Why bother you weren't elbowed, let the people involved sort it out and we will find out in due coarse.
What a shit attitude. So just because one person isn't involved, it's their responsibility to make sure noone questions whether or not rules are being followed?

This is the second time just off the top of my head that a rider has committed an offence in a National Championship event where this particular commissaire has issued an insignificant time penalty that's not stripped a rider of position.

The incident in question also isn't the only occurrence of him physically pushing or blocking other riders.

And in this case, because we have a 'National champion' who hardly has a clean reputation being involved in an incident that involved flooring another rider. I would be curious to know how people actually feel on this - whether they consider this kind of behavior acceptable, and whether or not they see the penalty as sufficient.

72Fury

Likes Dirt
I will be requesting more info and as much of a 'please explain' as a non-competitor can. However, I expect that won't get very much info.
Why do you need an explanantion ?????. Ben Henderson certainly didn't make it easy for Jongewaard to pass. It also looked like Henderson threw a Mark Renshaw prior to the elbow coming out. 2 Torq riders including the defending champ vs Jongewaard. Possibly some deeper politics involved given past happenings.

go to bed jessica

Likes Dirt
Just looked at the footage, and while Ben *could* have moved over a little he's got right of way and can hold his line if he likes (I would have done the same). What I find out of order is the obvious flick of the elbow that brings Ben down, overwise it's just a normal battle for position - tough but fair.

Jongewaard is obviously the fastest ride by a mile, so to see him stripped of the victory might have been a bit harsh but if he wants to ride like a 4yr old than maybe he should be treated like one.

Brian P.

sidetrack

Likes Dirt
What a shit attitude. So just because one person isn't involved, it's their responsibility to make sure noone questions whether or not rules are being followed?
My attitude? you have got to be joking. More people need to stop sticking there noses in business thats not theres. Anyone in that race that was affected has that right and its up to the coms to deal with it.

Now as to the incident that is racing at the top it happens all the time and Ben lost his balance.

I will assume that you have raced many elite races and been involved in incidents like this. I base this assumption on the fact that you post on here all the time about every conceivable topic so there for you must have the experience in all those areas to back your opinions and posts up.

akashra

Eats Squid
It's everyones business who is involved in the sport. What we as members of MTBA, CA, or any other sporting body consider to be acceptable behavior is what is supposed to be reflected in how governing bodies enforce rules.

If we can't even ask questions or seek info on why a rule is enforced one way or another, then it would seem things are going the way of being accountable to noone.

Misplaced

Formerly Unfit
I cant see the elbow being used to put Ben down, maybe just to create space. Either way I wasnt there and dont know the background so will accept the officials decision.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
As an MTB fan who follows the results, surely the bloke has a right to be curious as to how any result came to pass... :confused:

Misplaced

Formerly Unfit
What a shit attitude.
How has Sidetrack displayed a shit attitude? He seems to be taking an objective approach, one any reasonable person should take when not directly involved.

Your issue seems to be with the Commissaire, not the incident. Why dont you take your personal agenda elsewhere?

This is the second time just off the top of my head that a rider has committed an offence in a National Championship event where this particular commissaire has issued an insignificant time penalty that's not stripped a rider of position.

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
How has Sidetrack displayed a shit attitude? He seems to be taking an objective approach, one any reasonable person should take when not directly involved.

Your issue seems to be with the Commissaire, not the incident. Why dont you take your personal agenda elsewhere?
It's a shit attitude because it reads of "who cares" - hell, it starts with "why bother[?]".
Where do we draw the line - when penalties just stop getting handed out altogether and rules completely ignored? Clearly there's people who want to know what happened and why things were decided one way or another - why is it acceptable for there to be no transparency whatsoever?

I certainly have an issue with the incident - it should never happen, and as said, there were other incidents in the race similar to this which aren't seen in the clip. I'd certainly like to know if they were even considered when penalties were applied, and whether or not we actually can expect to see any details, or whether we're just going to be left with "that's all the info you're getting".

markyh990

Likes Dirt
I mean he did kinda push him, but if anyone really thinks that should strip someone of the national title had to be kidding them selfs