just bought a Glory, feels small, opinions?

Leeroy

Squid
hey guys,
Coming from a Large size Norco Hartail my medium (17") sized glory feels
a bit small and cramped. are most DH bikes like this?
im 6.1" so really it should suit my size right?
not sure if i made the wrong choice or wether its normal and just need to get used to riding it.
my knees are awfully close to hitting the stanchions when standing and pedaling. anyone experince this?
how tall are you glory riders and what size frames are you on?

anyhelp would be appreciated, thanks.

petertronica

Likes Dirt
I'm 5'11" and I ride a medium. Feels fine, but I definately wouldn't have wanted it any smaller
Would have thought a medium would be a bit small for you mate. Then again, a large might have been a tiny bit too big. If your knees are hitting the bars then it's too small.

chu

Likes Bikes and Dirt
wow thank god i didnt order a medium...im 6'3" and i hate a cramped cockpit...generally when i am ordering a new bike the main thing that i look for is the seat clamp to headset length or top tube if they have it listed as that it is similar to a size on a mates bike or a previous bike that i like...maybe should have given geo a bit more thought...but you will get used to it

Sutek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd be asking what sort of fitment service did you get at the store, and how much advice did they give you? Did you get to try a few sizes etc?? Did you ride the bike and tell them it felt fine? If so we can't point fingers....but they can be bent;)

It's not uncommon to come from a roomy hardtail in the Norco range and feel a little cramped on DH bikes, but opinions differ. Some guys like small cockpits, whilst others like something longer (squid...) and more forgiving at speed and in the air....especially if your new to it.

I'm 5' 10" and the most fave DH bike I actually had was a small Norco Aline back in 05 and they were notoriously short. I bought mediums after that and nothing felt as nimble - so maybe persevere??

If in doubt, contact your dealer. If they're fair dinkum they'll point you in the right direction. Good luck mate...you're not the first guy to question this after spending a big whack of coin. She'll be right in the end!:D Glory's a great bikes!!

Leeroy

Squid
i went the medium as i thought it would be the nimbler machine and can throw it around a bit easier. like u said, norco hardtails are real roomy bikes so maybe im too used to them.
the bike shop guy said med is good up to 6'3" so thought id be fine.
i do have longer legs so that could be why im nearing the stanchions.
well too late to look back now anyways.
ill just get used to a smaller bike.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You could get a thomson layback seat post for it, give you a bit more room.

I'm 5'7" and ride a medium glory, it fits me perfect but I have mates who are taller and ride them too without issue. The problem with the glory is the huge jump in size from the medium to large frame, your not the first to have this problem.

scblack

Leucocholic
You could get a thomson layback seat post for it, give you a bit more room.

I'm 5'7" and ride a medium glory, it fits me perfect but I have mates who are taller and ride them too without issue. The problem with the glory is the huge jump in size from the medium to large frame, your not the first to have this problem.
The jump between sizes seems to be a Giant thing. I bought an STPZero with the 14.5" frame, but it turned out a MASSIVE jump in size from the 13.5" frame, so I had to swap it for a STP2 frame smaller size. Frames basically the same so no real difference but still sucks having a STP2 sticker on there.

I am 5'7" too.

jumpers

Likes Dirt
i am about 5 10 tall and have a medium glory dh1. It feels right for my height but i think anyone taller would find cockpit a bit cramped. Think you needed large frame

SteveP

Likes Bikes
i went the medium as i thought it would be the nimbler machine and can throw it around a bit easier. like u said, norco hardtails are real roomy bikes so maybe im too used to them.
the bike shop guy said med is good up to 6'3" so thought id be fine.
i do have longer legs so that could be why im nearing the stanchions.
well too late to look back now anyways.
ill just get used to a smaller bike.
There are a few basic things you can do to make it feel a little more roomy: Get a slightly longer stem (60mm, or even try a 70 if you can borrow one), slide the seat back a bit on the rails, and get a 29" bar. Just have a play around till you find what works a bit better.

Leeroy

Squid
did you test ride it before you bought it
well i ordered the medium in and went for a quick ride out the front of the shop and thought yeah cool. havnt ridden DH bikes before so didnt know what to expect. from small to med theres not much diff but from med to large is a big jump in the glorys. didnt have a large around to test either so took their word on a med suiting me fine. whats making it feel small is the stanchions right there. im used to the single crowns and having all the room in the world. think it might just take some getting used too. ill try some diff setup approaches as mentioned above. bars seem narrow straight out the box anyways.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get some of those massive wide bars all the cool kids are running, should also help give a bit more room.

Howie66

Likes Dirt
Yeah good idea jd.

Hopefully its becasue your not used to it, no-one likes to be led up the garden path, but the dude at my bike shop said he rides a medium and he is 6'4"

Good luck mate

Howie

Ozza

Eats Squid
Leeroy, im taller than you and race my glory issue free. Aslong as its not uncomfortable cramped whilst standing, you will be rompin!

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The down tube length is the one that really matters in the cockpit room department (if your sitting down get the F*%K up you lazy bitch:D). Unfortunetly no one actually lists it.

Jammo

Likes Dirt
oh ok yeh it will feel diffrent from the single crowns but wont take long to get used to mate.

im actually get one of these beasts soon and ill probably get a medium but im not sure im preety tall for my age 6 foot so ill have a good test run on it and see how she goes :p

mtb_champ

Likes Bikes and Dirt
medium 17"? my glory is 18" medium (i think)..... maybe use higher rise bars to help?
i basicly stand the whole ride when riding dh..... i may sit for a rest but thats it.

Ride.Dirt.Wake.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you read the original post he said his knees are close to the stanchions, how are high rise bars going to help that? longer stem, change your position on the bike?

BLAKE-2234

Likes Bikes and Dirt
dependson the bike and setup i used to ride more over the middle of the bike (if that makes sense) now i ride more over the back of the bike as i found i was getting bucked forward and hitting my knees on the staunchions so maybe change ride style

my 2c