Keeping fit during rehab after shoulder recon?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
So, story goes that back in July last year I managed to stack, bruise some ribs and tear my rotator cuff.
Spent a few months off the bike getting fat and lazy while attempting non surgical recovery, physio, multiple cortisone injections and rest.
Since Xmas I've been back training, in the gym and back on the bike.
The base fitness is back where it should be and the weight is coming off. Problem is, the shoulder is still farked and now a reconstruction is imminent.

I've been told I'll be in a sling for 6weeks, no riding for several months.
Being that shoulder recons are quite common, my question is, what have you guys done to keep the base fitness while rehabbing?

Gym work? Stationary bike? Spin classes? Running?

I really don't want to start again, and would love to keep some base fitness this time around.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had one in August, it's not the 6.weeks that gets you it's the 3months after. I did sfa outside of walking the dog and my fitness went to shit. You have to keep that joint so still and deliberately tight, trust me you won't be thinking of doing anything jiggly that jeopardises the recovery.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
So, story goes that back in July last year I managed to stack, bruise some ribs and tear my rotator cuff.
Spent a few months off the bike getting fat and lazy while attempting non surgical recovery, physio, multiple cortisone injections and rest.
Since Xmas I've been back training, in the gym and back on the bike.
The base fitness is back where it should be and the weight is coming off. Problem is, the shoulder is still farked and now a reconstruction is imminent.

I've been told I'll be in a sling for 6weeks, no riding for several months.
Being that shoulder recons are quite common, my question is, what have you guys done to keep the base fitness while rehabbing?

Gym work? Stationary bike? Spin classes? Running?

I really don't want to start again, and would love to keep some base fitness this time around.
Not a rotator cuff injury but a broken collarbone / clavical.

Same thing, no riding for 3 months. took a different approach.

Took a hardtail, single speeded it with a gearing of 90rpm@20kph.
Added a Short stem to make it more upright.
The low gearing makes it easy to keep your heart rate up and also means less torque and no requirement to use your upperbody. Also low speed makes it a lot safer.
I then proceeded to ride with my injured arm tucked into my pocket.

First 4 weeks just commuted a few times a week. 26km return.
At the 4 week mark did a walking trail on the MTB. Very wide and smooth. 40km and found my performance was good. Lot better than expected.
5th week knocked out a 80km and got 86 trophies with 10 top tens on strava.

This worked for me but listen to your body, It it hurts then rest. if it feels good then ride.

two things you need to mitigate somehow. Over use will cause it to heal badly, Also those "oh sh1t" moments when your reflex's cause you to act will cause an involuntary movement, this is what will do the most damage. Mitigate those and use your head.

Safest option is turbo trainer.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Just home from hospital/surgery now. Turns out there was more to do than scans predicted. Doc says 4 weeks in a sling, 6 months before being back riding full time.
I need to think through every move and will be following all the docs rehab recommendations.
Looks like I'll be getting fat and lazy till October.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I can't recommend a trainer enough. Got me through pre and post knee surgery rehab, then was able to build the 'real' strength back up without risking hurting myself badly on the trails.

I had to start REALLY easy, like spinning in easy gear for 5min using mostly the other leg, just to get movement happening again. But once I had enough strength back after a few weeks of mundane spinning, i got some sufferfest videos and brought myself right back up to where I left off. They're now my fallback ride when I don't have enough time to get out or its too cold/wet for my pansy ass.

Get a decent fluid trainer (avoid magnetic like the plague), pick a couple of sufferfest videos (i recommend 'blender' as a starter, it's great value), and set a bike up in front of the telly. You'll come out swinging in October if you give it a proper go

redbruce

Eats Squid
I can't recommend a trainer enough. Got me through pre and post knee surgery rehab, then was able to build the 'real' strength back up without risking hurting myself badly on the trails.

I had to start REALLY easy, like spinning in easy gear for 5min using mostly the other leg, just to get movement happening again. But once I had enough strength back after a few weeks of mundane spinning, i got some sufferfest videos and brought myself right back up to where I left off. They're now my fallback ride when I don't have enough time to get out or its too cold/wet for my pansy ass.

Get a decent fluid trainer (avoid magnetic like the plague), pick a couple of sufferfest videos (i recommend 'blender' as a starter, it's great value), and set a bike up in front of the telly. You'll come out swinging in October if you give it a proper go
+1 for this.

I did an AC last year about this time and once I could spend time out of the sling (about 3-4 weeks) relied on an indoor trainer (which I had bought earlier but hadn't enjoyed using, so I didn't) to keep some fitness. Initially I rode with one arm (held the bar near the stem) until I could carry weight across two arms. It also meant physio could also be targeted at areas riding identified as deficient for purpose.

As I got my strength back was able to progress to bike path (I live in a hilly area so still a workout). I even snuck in some soft off road (against physio advice).

That and the shoulder specific physio exercises meant I recovered quickly from the surgery to remove the plate 3 months later and back on the mtb sooner at the end of it all.

Although the fluid units are inherently better for real training purposes, there is nothing wrong with mag units for your purpose and they are cheap second hand.

Last edited:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
The mag units might give an equivalent workout, but they generate 10x the noise. Best for your sanity and the sanity of those around you to just get a fluid Trainer. I think anaconda has one 50% off at the moment, $200

Dilstub

Likes Dirt
very similar question, so I might ask it here if that's ok. I'm three weeks post-knee reco (ACL+slight meniscus tear), already back to walking and rehab. I'm finding though, my food intake has pretty much become a third of what it was while oly lifting, lost 4-5kg already, and I'm pretty much constantly exhausted. any way around this, other than force myself to eat? (and anything in particular I should be eating?)

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
very similar question, so I might ask it here if that's ok. I'm three weeks post-knee reco (ACL+slight meniscus tear), already back to walking and rehab. I'm finding though, my food intake has pretty much become a third of what it was while oly lifting, lost 4-5kg already, and I'm pretty much constantly exhausted. any way around this, other than force myself to eat? (and anything in particular I should be eating?)
Found the same after my shoulder surgery, for a month and a bit afterwards i could barely keep my eyes open by mid days and just felt like shit in general with zero appetite. I just assumed it was my body putting so much energy into recovering and after a few more weeks of rest everything came good.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Far out, same thing! Thought at first it was the drugs they sent me home with so chucked them, still slightly nauseous and zero energy a few weeks later. Eventually the nausea stopped but it took 6 months or so to really get my hooks into a day and near a year to feel proper energetic again.

Didn't matter what I ate or how I slept, it was just constant lethargy. I could spin out a 3hr ride but I'd never really put 100% in and even found myself yawning sometimes on the trail.

All good now, but was surprised by how much a little keyhole surgery messed with me. Not on my list of things to do again :p

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
The Doc will always give you a conservative time to recover. Go and see your Physio (Myo, Osteo, what ever your flavour is) and get them to set you up with realistic recovery exercises.