Kettlebells

halfstroke

Likes Bikes
What are you thoughts on kettlebells? Seems like they would be better then freeweights as they incorporate cardio/strength/endurance all in one.

Who uses them?, What exercises do you do?, Do you use them for general fitness or specifically to try improve your riding?

indica

Serial flasher
I use them and really like them.
Squats, swings - no push press at the moment as my right arm is sore - bicep curls, bent rows.
General strength and if you go hard does some good cardio too.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm sure you could go on a crazy KB regime for everything but for me they've always been complimentary, swings & TGUs, but def good stuff. If you're unsure of the investment, or you want some special ones ie. really fckn heavy, you can easily make some decent DIY ones, one version uses existing weights, look up diy tbar kettlebell for the idea.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
but for me they've always been complimentary.
This is an excellent statement.

I don't train technical train with kettlebells, but I do a few very similar movements with a single loaded dumbbell or big arse plate, to add some fairly dynamic and ballistic movements into my training.

But this is also the issue with kettlebells, ballistic movements like swings, put a fairly rapid loading onto joints (especially backs and shoulders), if not done correctly are somewhat dangerous. Fatigue also an issue with this type of training due to its dynamic nature.

Things commonly seen in kettlebell programs like squats, deadlift, rows, much prefer a barbell; lunges, swings, goblet squats go really well with kettlebells.

Just depends on what your after really? mass or strength traditional lifting vastly superior, for dynamic style training its pretty good, relatively cheap, takes no space... and its been adopted by crossfit, so you cool!

shore_2

Likes Dirt
I prefer a heavy dumbbell for most things. Once you start flipping the kb it tries to snap your arm in half, even with good technique it's still painful.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

halfstroke

Likes Bikes
Just depends on what your after really? mass or strength traditional lifting vastly superior, for dynamic style training its pretty good, relatively cheap, takes no space... and its been adopted by crossfit, so you cool!
I'm after a workout that provides a lot for bang for your buck. Kettlebells seem to fit that criteria, also want more shoulder stability and to fix some muscle imbalances (left side of body weaker). Currently the only exercise i do is cycling 3-4 times a week and my job which can sometimes include prolonged heavy manual labour but i'm looking to add some more consistent resistance training and don't really have space for a traditional setup, Bench, Barbells etc.

findbuddha

Likes Bikes
I'll echo Mywifesirrational here. I've seen a few people who had terrible traditional squat (both technique and strength) attempting dynamic kettlebell swings. Not surprisingly, they had low back pain. If you don't already have good strength and motor control / technique / core stability during traditional lifting you will gain very little from doing dynamic exercises.

As far as a compact setup goes, I use:
- a set of adjustable dumbells for upper body and lunges
- a 4' curl bar with plates for deadlifts
- a small balance board for balance work
- some theratube for the occasional rotator cuff exercises
All fits easily on a 1m x 2m mat in my unit.

If even that is too big, just go adjustable dumbells and buy extra plates for them to get the weight you need. Kettlebells are compact, but there is no adjustability so unless you have a full set (large and expensive) you won't be able to progress effectively or use different resistance for different exercises.

spikenet

Likes Dirt
I'm after a workout that provides a lot for bang for your buck. Kettlebells seem to fit that criteria, also want more shoulder stability and to fix some muscle imbalances (left side of body weaker). Currently the only exercise i do is cycling 3-4 times a week and my job which can sometimes include prolonged heavy manual labour but i'm looking to add some more consistent resistance training and don't really have space for a traditional setup, Bench, Barbells etc.
I have used kettlebells for over 6 years and really like them, 12kg, 2x16kg and 24kg coupled with pullup bar I can hit what I need. James Wilson has some good programs that could help you http://www.bikejames.com/ he has fine tuned some of the tradition kettlebell stances to suit our stagger stance on the bike.

JBR

Likes Dirt
If I could only have 1 piece of workout equipment for the rest of my life it would be kettlebells. The variations to what you can do with them is limited by your imaginations

Take the time, watch 400 youtube videos and learn proper techniques.

Some basics (and not so basics) to cover most areas:

swings - russian and normal
turkish getups
goblet squats
snatch
squat snatch
clean
squat clean
clean and jerk
long cycle clean and jerk (one of my favorites)
Sots press
press
oh squat
man makers
ballistic row
renegade row
farmers carry
waiters carry
bottom up waiters carry

If I could only have 2 pieces of equipment it would be kettle bells and a quality skipping rope. What that combo plus bodyweight training you can get as fit as you would ever need to be.

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
If I could only have 1 piece of workout equipment for the rest of my life it would be kettlebells. The variations to what you can do with them is limited by your imaginations

...SNIP...

If I could only have 2 pieces of equipment it would be kettle bells and a quality skipping rope. What that combo plus bodyweight training you can get as fit as you would ever need to be.
Agreed. I seem to be able to do everything I need with these two items. I like more gear but if I could only have two it'd be the above...