Kids Balance Bikes

Another great option in the balance bike market are Melbourne company ByK Bikes. They do 2 different wheel sizes & each comes with a second longer seatpost for as the child grows/for the taller child. Check out their E-200L (12") & E-250L (16").
http://www.bykbikes.com/kids-bike-range/e-200-learning-bike.html#specifications

One of the things I like most about them is that everything is essentially serviceable which means you can keep them running mint as they're handed down etc. Have done a strip-down/rebuild & respray on the niece's as well as a couple of friends'. The addition of a little handbrake is quite good if only to encourage the child to familiarise themselves with a bar mounted brake lever (which also has reach adjustment) for when they progress into a conventional bike. Super helpful group of people behind the brand & it's cool that they're local product/company. Can definitely vouch for the ByK range of balance bikes.

angrybadger

Likes Dirt
What's the requirement with the coaster brake? It has a front and rear brake, I would have thought that would be sufficient.
Here's the info:
https://www.productsafety.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/973482

I'd agree a coaster brake is easier to use, but they also make it harder to get going. The Belter brakes are pretty good, they can be adjusted to a very short reach and have good power. That said, he hasn't got the hang of pedals so brakes aren't an issue. He'll be on the Cruzee for a while yet I reckon.

takai

Eats Squid
Hm, the Commencal supports a disc, but really when my little man gets to that point ill probably go down the route of the ungeared crankless BMX or something.

Sorely tempted to grab a Cruzee with the Pushys $25 off. especially as all the LBS here dont want to deal with JetBlack.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a firstbike, no issues with it. Plastic / solid wheels haven't been an issue except on a large steel pit cover down the footpath in the wet (has claimed a few as it is about 5m up from a corner, but has since been replaced with a concrete composite cover, but only after someone walking fell over on it). Little man (3) loves it, but the saddle isn't comfortable for him so on long rides he gets a bit sore, as it is a very broad flat design
Qn for those out there, one of the reasons I got the firstbike was the brake, but I can't dial it in (cable too short) so he can reach it
He can ride a pedal bike, but is a bit of a maniac (he's watched me ride ;-) ) and can't stop without putting his feet down, which has ended badly with pedals. I really want him to get used to a brake before he moves up (plus in a few months he can go to a 16" as he is tall).
How have other people gone with brakes, or more importantly the transition to a pedal bike?
Al..

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My 3 1/2yo boy is in the process of transitioning to pedals. He still rides his Hotwalk occasionally but we got him a ByK E250 for Xmas and we've been pushing him to ride it more.

The E250 is good as it has a removable handle for the parent to aid the child in learning how to pedal. After 5 rides my little man is doing short stints by himself, until he realizes I'm not holding the handle and then he puts his feet down and stops.

I like the geometry of the E250 and it runs 14" wheels so it's not a massive jump up from the 12" balance bike and I shouldn't have to upgrade as soon.

So far the transition hasn't been too bad. Just a lot of pushing him on flat paths so he gets the hang of balancing and pedaling.

I've adjusted the handbrake in but he doesn't use that. He occasionally uses the coaster but I'm working on that.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How have other people gone with brakes, or more importantly the transition to a pedal bike?
Al..
My son has had a front caliper brake on both his balance bikes. He didn't use it much at first, but I kept reminding him about it and encouraging him to use it. He now uses it all the time.

He's ready to start the transition to pedal bike. I have a Byk E-350 set up on an indoor trainer that he's been practicing the pedalling action on for a couple of months now. He's also practicing the brakes on both front and back, plus the stupid coaster brake which I'll probably disconnect/remove.

I'd say get a longer cable, dial that lever in, and start encouraging your son to use a brake now.

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
I think it depends on how big your kids are, more to the point how big their hands are. There was no way our kids could use hand brakes when they transitioned to pedal bikes both in reach and strength. Our kids also went to pedal bike quite early (round 2.5 for our daughter and our son was pedalling before 2). We went to coaster brakes first and transitioned to hand brakes at around 3yrs. Our kids use to always use their feet to stop also, esp in a panic. I use to take them somewhere where there was a slight hill and get them to roll down practicing their brakes going faster and faster. Getting them to do skids also helped a lot. They'll pick it up in no time.

When transitioning to hand brakes, I use to get them to roll round back pedalling and braking down slight hills. Now a days I'm just waiting for when they'll be faster than dad..... which will be any day now... haha :(

FlyingRV

Likes Bikes
+1 on Cruzee... it come with an extra extended seat post to grow with the kids. Also the bolts on the wheels are compact and not protruding which is good for safety. My little boy was hesitant to use it at first but he loves it now, being less than 2kg makes it easier for him to "man handle" it around.

Shadow Puppet

Likes Dirt
I too was concerned about most of these balance bikes not having brakes but my daughter stopped just fine with the two great big brake pads that come on he bottom of shoes. Transition to pedal bike with coaster brake was a few hours before completely confident down hills.

I also find that most 2-3 year olds can't use calliper brakes effectively anyway as most of them are poor quality.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
One of my little fellas has one of these, had it for around 10 months.

Pros:
seriously light (under 2kg), he can tote it round where ever he likes
smooth sealed wheel bearings, spin beautifully
very low stand over as well, had him on it at age 2
no steering limiter, when he hits deck the handlebars are flat on the ground
easily adjustable seat and bar height

Cons:
has plastic bushings where the headset should be so will wait and see how long that lasts,
plastic wheels have been ok so far but could be a durability issue,
solid tyres are wearing but they can be replaced with regular tubed versions.
There seems to be a few brands using these. I worked in a bike shop so got one, also had a Byke with a brake I thought would be cool, and it would, but all brakes are too stiff for toddlers anyway I think(maybe not). The Byke weighed twice the weight of the Cruzee/Jet Black/strider? and had no chainstays to put feet on, so I sold it off. Also got a Giant throw out that I'll keep, but it too is twice as heavy. I'd like a Specialized or Comencal when she's more into for the better foot placement but doubt I'll bother.
As Rad as the BMX ones look,I think the bars are unnaturally too high.
Anyone with a 2 + year old in Canberra that is riding theirs well? I'd love to catch up to encourage my 2 and one month year old girl to get into it more, she goes a meter or two before getting off, and I don't want to push her into it.

stirk

Burner
I thought the BMX looking ones have higher bars but if you compare to say the cruzee the seat to bar height looks the same.

The BMX style bar looks better than the cruzee straight up stem bar combination but the cruzee at half the weight could be the better choice for a small child.

I'm in the market and am short listing the DK and cruzee. Can't make up my mind, sigh

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I'm in the market and am short listing the DK and cruzee. Can't make up my mind, sigh
Look for a cruzee second hand. I'm thinking Cruzee for first year then upgrade to something else, maybe with brake and better foot rests. Or straight to pedals like some of the lucky parents above.

takai

Eats Squid
I'm at the same stage and torn. Just found today one lbs has a red Cruzee on the floor at a very attractive price. So it's the sort of thing that I could justify buying it and then getting the DK when he turns 2ish. He is currently 14mo and I think he could use the Cruzee at 16-17mo as he already has a decent go of the Kmart ones but they are a bit high and heavy.

angrybadger

Likes Dirt
I'm at the same stage and torn. Just found today one lbs has a red Cruzee on the floor at a very attractive price. So it's the sort of thing that I could justify buying it and then getting the DK when he turns 2ish. He is currently 14mo and I think he could use the Cruzee at 16-17mo as he already has a decent go of the Kmart ones but they are a bit high and heavy.
If it helps at all, here's the little fella at Lysty on a cruzee. Running air tyres, but it doesn't make a real difference (only weight). He's 3.5, been on it since about Christmas 2013, and he still whinges on the uphill part of the same trail even though the bike weighs about the same as a cotton bud. He'll be going straight from the cruzee onto a 16" early rider belter, but I reckon he'll keep riding the cruzee on rough terrain while the pedal bike gets used on smooth places.

[video=vimeo;126586462]https://vimeo.com/126586462[/video]

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I too was concerned about most of these balance bikes not having brakes but my daughter stopped just fine with the two great big brake pads that come on he bottom of shoes. Transition to pedal bike with coaster brake was a few hours before completely confident down hills.

I also find that most 2-3 year olds can't use calliper brakes effectively anyway as most of them are poor quality.
Odyssey 1999. Nice small lever with adjustable reach and a caliper that works (a kid + balance bike doesn't weigh much so a brake doesn't need to be ultra strong). Relying on shoes alone was costing us more than the balance bike in worn out shoes. Our guy was braking at 2 with no issues (after some initial reminding).