Kids Seats

treble

Likes Dirt
Im looking for some reccomendations for an up-front kids seat. Something suitable for younger kids (9 months - 1 year).
I was looking at the WeeRide seats but I cant find much detail on them fitting to modern dual suspension bikes. Saw some nice looking Thule ones too, but they mount to the fork steerer and I cant imagine steering would be all that good with the added weight.
Im hoping to get the boy out for a few light pedals over the xmas holidays.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Macride is what I have and its been great.

My youngest boy has just turned 3 and its been great for him from around 12 months until now.

I'm thinking of selling it now that he's on his own bmx, I've got a kids Lazer helmet to go with it. Pm me of you're interested.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

treble

Likes Dirt
Yeah those look great, I'm hoping to get him onto something like that when he is a bit older. For now ill probably need something with a harness that doesnt require they hold on though

rstim

Likes Dirt
I've used a Yepp mini for both my boys and it was great as I had them in it from 8-9 months on. They both loved it and were securely strapped, really only good for smooth green trails at the most but still great to get them out and about with you. It did limit steering angle a bit but was never noticed riding around only when stationary or going very slowly.
So much better when they got big enough to put on the Macride they are amazing! I've ridden most of the blue trails at Derby with my boys, sometimes with one on the seat and one on my back in an ergo carrier.

slowmick

38-39"
I have a wee ride - it works well to restrain a litle one who gets distracted and would fall off a mac ride. it is a large seat so you have to ride around it which pretty much limits you to light pedals.

Check out what the Drizzle managed with his:

iconic

Likes Dirt
I had a weeride for my first two and it weighed a ton due to the brace where the seat was bolted to, also limited steering too

I currently have a yepp mini for my youngest who is around 21 months and it's starting to get too small. It limits steering a bit too, from memory not as bad as the weeride (could be wrong though). Is a good choice for a young one, had it from around 1 year old

@Oddjob would be keen to get the macride off you if available! Will PM

Sent from my T780H using Tapatalk

Jpez

Down on the left!
I had a Wee ride. Didn’t mind it. Had to adjust your legs around the seat but was fine. Also had a Yepp Mini. Hated it. As it hangs off the steerer or bars from memory and really messes with the steering and balance of the bike. So Wee ride would be my choice for the real littluns.
I’ve now got a Macride which is awesome. The 5 year old is getting too big for it but going to try and squeeze a few more months out of it as it’s so damn fun having the kid so close and you can talk shit and have a laugh etc.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I had (still have) a wee ride which was great for the kids until they wanted to ride for themselves. The big steel bar thing is heavy and would be a chore to take on and off so you really have to dedicate a bike to having the steel bar on permanently. Slight knees out stance required but awesome spot for conversations, interactions etc. with the passenger. I had it on one of mine for several years then moved it to the wife's bike (he he he he he.....)

I originally bought a Yepp Mini. Installed it. Rode with kid around the block. Removed it. Returned it. To me it felt like such a dangerous place for the kid and the weight up there wasn't ideal.

Whereabouts are you located @treble?

Isildur

The Real Pedant
I've got a WeeRide, my daughter who is now 17 months has loved it since she was less than a year.

At first we had her on my Dartmoor Primarl 29'er HT, due to mounting (see below) and was only so-so about riding. Mainly I think this was because any time we went off road, it was really rough even on "smooth" firetrails. THe lack of suspension was definitely limiting her enjoyment.

Now but now shes on a Fuel EX and absolutely loves MTB with me and my wife. Easy singletrack is no problem, just have to watch out for G-Outs and Jump Lips (not actually jumping, but the rollover can give a bit of a head whip). Doesn't like the slow, boring climbing part, but any where the trail picks up flow and speed, she is constantly "more!!" "yeeesss!!".

Mounting can be difficult on some modern bikes as the Top Tubes are flush with the Head Tube. Wee Ride used to made a Steerer adapter (essentially a big washer to go over your steerer spacers) but they no longer do. If you've got a mate with a 3D printer (as I do), get them to print you up one - works perfectly.

Steering isn't really any problem to be honest. Sure the bike is a bit heavier, but with the suspension set up accordingly it's fine. The adapter over the spacers means the bars turn freely and the bike works as per normal.

Biggest problem I have now - well, two problems - she really wants to grab the bars all the time so it's constant attention to make sure she's holding the Wee-Ride pad, and the fact that she just isn't interested in her balance bike at all now!

Jpez

Down on the left!
I've got a WeeRide, my daughter who is now 17 months has loved it since she was less than a year.

At first we had her on my Dartmoor Primarl 29'er HT, due to mounting (see below) and was only so-so about riding. Mainly I think this was because any time we went off road, it was really rough even on "smooth" firetrails. THe lack of suspension was definitely limiting her enjoyment.

Now but now shes on a Fuel EX and absolutely loves MTB with me and my wife. Easy singletrack is no problem, just have to watch out for G-Outs and Jump Lips (not actually jumping, but the rollover can give a bit of a head whip). Doesn't like the slow, boring climbing part, but any where the trail picks up flow and speed, she is constantly "more!!" "yeeesss!!".

Mounting can be difficult on some modern bikes as the Top Tubes are flush with the Head Tube. Wee Ride used to made a Steerer adapter (essentially a big washer to go over your steerer spacers) but they no longer do. If you've got a mate with a 3D printer (as I do), get them to print you up one - works perfectly.

Steering isn't really any problem to be honest. Sure the bike is a bit heavier, but with the suspension set up accordingly it's fine. The adapter over the spacers means the bars turn freely and the bike works as per normal.

Biggest problem I have now - well, two problems - she really wants to grab the bars all the time so it's constant attention to make sure she's holding the Wee-Ride pad, and the fact that she just isn't interested in her balance bike at all now!
TLDR
Macride time.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
TLDR
Macride time.
Definitely agree on that! The WeeRide has been brilliant for her so far and although she's probably still just a touch too small and not quite strong enough for the MacRide, I'm constantly on the lookout for someone offloading theirs :)

Jpez

Down on the left!
Definitely agree on that! The WeeRide has been brilliant for her so far and although she's probably still just a touch too small and not quite strong enough for the MacRide, I'm constantly on the lookout for someone offloading theirs :)
My 5 year old is probably too big for hers but I’m hanging onto it for as long as we can. I’m guessing 6 months max. Send me a pm if you like so I remember who it is and I’ll contact when the time comes to see if you’re still looking.

treble

Likes Dirt
@creaky - Im in Melbourne so not much riding lately, just dreaming of being free to do so by Xmas (hopefully).

Im hoping to get him on a Shotgun/Macride seat as soon as he is old enough to hang on. They seem like such a great idea.

Would anyone with a WeeRide mind measuring the distance between the legs for me? I'll probably use my Commencal Meta AM which has a very wide top tube due to the suspension design, i cant seem to find that measurement online.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
I'll measure tonight, but for reference it fits fine on a Ripmo, 2019 Fuel EX and a 2018 Devinci Spartan.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
So the WeeRide seat between the feet at it's narrowest is about 65mm, but that's directly beneath the mounting bar. It widens out to about 85mm where your little one's feet sit. The foot rests do flex a bit, so if your TT & DT are wide the the seat will accommodate a bit of width.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
So the WeeRide seat between the feet at it's narrowest is about 65mm, but that's directly beneath the mounting bar. It widens out to about 85mm where your little one's feet sit. The foot rests do flex a bit, so if your TT & DT are wide the the seat will accommodate a bit of width.
I measured 50mm at the narrowest point, same as the bar it sits on, and 70mm at the widest point. It's a Weeride Deluxe that I bought about 4 years ago.
As @Isildur said, the foot rests do flex so it's pretty accommodating.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
So who has had a big crash with one and did the kid survive? It’s a bloody long down for a little kid...

There is a photo in the Canberra MTB plan of a guy going over the big drop on Duffy Descent with a Macride - if he messes that up the kid is toast...

Jpez

Down on the left!
So who has had a big crash with one and did the kid survive? It’s a bloody long down for a little kid...

There is a photo in the Canberra MTB plan of a guy going over the big drop on Duffy Descent with a Macride - if he messes that up the kid is toast...
You seem very concerned about this considering you have no children.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
You seem very concerned about this considering you have no children.
I was waiting for that... :rolleyes:

Nevertheless, seems a sketchy idea. I don't need to have kids to understand physics and the physiology and developmental strength of toddler skulls and necks...

Question remains - anyone had a proper crash with one?