Kids these days..

Coopz

Likes Dirt
My local supermarket is close to a popular mtb park (Sturt Gorge for local reference) anyway I stopped there sat afternoon to grab a few things and was having a coffee afterwards outside when 3 teenagers pulled up on their bikes, probably 14-15year olds and judging by their gear and dirt they had been riding the trails. Anyway all 3 of them are on some nice bikes, a Santa Cruz Nomad, a carbon fibre Cannondale duelie and a Polygon enduro thing. All 3 just dump their bikes (literally) out the front and wander into the shops, no locks or any security system. 10m later they remerge with drinks, one picks up his bike and then drops it back on the ground as he wants to fix his shoelace. They then ride off.
Showing my age but back in my day my bike was my baby, it was always locked up for the quickest eerrand and was never left on the ground. Even if it was a $200 BigW bike.

Either these kids parents are completely loaded and they have a shed full of bikes or they have zero concept of money what their bikes cost.

/end rant

safreek

Goddamn kids, no respect. Back in my day, well, no respect I guess. They are a throwaway item these days, not kids, bikes.
Couple of years and they break, yetis even less time. The only one of those bikes still working in a couple of years will be the Cannondale, they are made to cop the most rowdy of shit :rolleyes:

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Either these kids parents are completely loaded and they have a shed full of bikes or they have zero concept of money what their bikes cost.

/end rant
Both. That general area isn't exactly short of cash for the most part.

I grew up on the plains and it didn't matter what it was, if it wasn't locked it was gone. I remember walking thru the car park back to my bike at Marion Shopping Centre one night, following a guy heading in the same direction who was quite clearly having a good look around. He suddenly had to go somewhere else when he spotted me.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Last year I entered a local Enduro race, organised by one of our LBS.
It was a low key race on private land.

I was absolutely gobsmacked at the bikes being ridden by some of the teenagers.
Super bling Santa Cruz, Rocky Mountain, Yeti etc.

I could only draw the conclusion that their parents are buying teenagers $9000 bikes!
Unless the kids are working part time outside of school hours and saving every penny?
(still happy to give the benefit of the doubt...)

Rightly or wrongly, I've always held the view that your first bike and your first car should be cheap and well loved.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

carpetrunner

Likes Dirt
you guys just don't get it
the joy you feel when your kids take an interest in dirt riding and as they grow to be the same frame size...
...then, out of the goodness of your heart, you donate your slightly thrashed Cannondale/Yeti/SC to your kids' new found passion,
of course you will then have to buy a new bike

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Yeah me too.
My Kona was $2k more than my ute. But I love both.

My first carbon Trek was $4k more than my 1983 Nissan Bluebird, and I too loved them both. 2 litre, 5 speed, rear wheel drive. Tough little car, did my best but failed to kill it. Bloody boot was too shallow to fit the bike tho so it went on the back seat. Saved my bacon when the Constabulary stopped me late at night in the Hills on a spirited trip back to Adelaide. Officer 1 chatting to me at the boot, Officer 2 with the torch in the window, checking rego etc.

"That's a nice bike mate."
"Thanks, it's worth more than the car"
"No worries mate, off you go, be careful."

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
My first carbon Trek was $4k more than my 1983 Nissan Bluebird, and I too loved them both. 2 litre, 5 speed, rear wheel drive. Tough little car, did my best but failed to kill it. Bloody boot was too shallow to fit the bike tho so it went on the back seat. Saved my bacon when the Constabulary stopped me late at night in the Hills on a spirited trip back to Adelaide. Officer 1 chatting to me at the boot, Officer 2 with the torch in the window, checking rego etc.

"That's a nice bike mate."
"Thanks, it's worth more than the car"
"No worries mate, off you go, be careful."
Haha, that's awesome. Most coppas are alright.
My first car was a Datsun.

Kids these days... they get ABS, EBD, TC, auto double over head fox tails, chromed grease nipples, apple car play, air conditioning (!), 4 wheel disc brakes, beach sand in the tyres... comfy seats...

.... bloody sooks.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
My local supermarket is close to a popular mtb park (Sturt Gorge for local reference) anyway ....
You'll be very aware of the Mitcham Hungry Jacks bike thefts then... near many expensive schools, all the kids on 2k-6k duallies, reckon the local meth head hides in a hedge beside it, they dump their bikes by the dozen on the weekends and head in for a frozen coke before catching the train back up.

There's bikes lifted every other week. Must be a gift to meth heaven.