Knee Pads

Mr Kurt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi Everyone.

After a recent stack, which landed my in hospital with a massive gouge in my knee, ive decided to invest in some knee pads. There are a lot of brands and models, im not sure which ones are reliable, and which ones aren't.

Also there comes the problem of size, im pretty much imobile so i wont be getting to any shops soon, but i am about 6 foot 1.

So my question to you. What knee pads do you run? and would you recomemend them for me?

Cheers

beardi

Likes Dirt
I had some raceface knee/shin combo pads but they sucked at staying in place and I banged my knee pretty badly one day. Since then I've been using the 661 Kyle Straits for around two years. Comfy, stay in place and offer plenty of protection. Highly recommended - I'm 5'8" and use the mediums.

Geek

Squid
I'm using a set of Fox Launch shorty knee/shins that I bought from TBSM, and they seem pretty good (haven't been crash tested yet).
No unwanted movement, decent ventilation, good coverage. I always forget I have them on. I'm 6' and they fit well (one size fits all)

Simsoi

Likes Bikes
661 Tomcats are a lot cheaper. But the meshing isn't very durable. Still work all right but look sloppy (after 4 mths). Stay in place perfect tho.

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Hi Everyone.

After a recent stack, which landed my in hospital with a massive gouge in my knee, ive decided to invest in some knee pads. There are a lot of brands and models, im not sure which ones are reliable, and which ones aren't.

Also there comes the problem of size, im pretty much imobile so i wont be getting to any shops soon, but i am about 6 foot 1.

So my question to you. What knee pads do you run? and would you recomemend them for me?

Cheers

Knee pads or knee shins? For knee pads, look no further than Evo's. They are super comfortable and you forget you are wearing them. I have a Large set, and looking to sell them as they are a bit too big. A bit expensive but you get what you pay for.

For knee shins, I used some RaceFace FR knee shins a few years back and they seemed to fit the bill.

scblack

Leucocholic
I just got some new Dainese Racing Knee Guard Extreme pads, and they DO NOT MOVE.

Great pads for me. I have short legs, but large calves and finding good fitting pads is an issue - Dainese have it sorted.:)

T-Rex

Template denier
I have a set of Fox Launch, they sit still on my legs, are reasonably comfortable and offer good protection. However, they have an annoying habit of coming unclipped in a stack, so that I now tape the clips in place with duct tape.

dunndog

Eats Squid
I have lizard skins softcell knee/shin guards, had them for 3 years and are still perfect, comfy, don't move and look the shiz.

smen

Likes Bikes
I rode basically every day for 5 weeks in canada with lizardskins knee/shin. They're a great setup and I find they're much better than my older 661 knee/shin.

On hotter days I've been running my 661 vegies. LOVE EM! no shin protection though :(

How much damage did you do to your body and how?

Mr Kurt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ok guys i think i might go with the kyle striats. But how are the sozes measured, is it by a length, or width?

Knee pads or knee shins? For knee pads, look no further than Evo's. They are super comfortable and you forget you are wearing them. I have a Large set, and looking to sell them as they are a bit too big. A bit expensive but you get what you pay for.
I was actually looking at these, but they where a lot more expensive then the kyle striat, and i could really see much different

How much damage did you do to your body and how?
WELLLLLLLLLLL

I came down a rock garden, nothing flash or particularly difficult, but im only a bigginer ( and on a hardtail until next week) And as i came down, at what i thought was a very fast speed, my back wheel kicked out, over my head, and i ended up sliding down the rock garden on my stomach.

I have gravel rash on my right should, gravel rash on my right nipple ( also a small bit missing ) scrathes all over both legs, and a particluarly deep gouge on my right knee, so deep i could see my knee cap. But suprisingly i only had three sitches, which is lucky i guess, i was expecting five or six. haha. But all is good, im finding it incredibly difficult to move, but i cant complain, as ive seen the crash pics thread and lots of people have had it worse then me.

Last edited:

Terror

Squid
Fox launch...are great i forget i even have them on, They vent well & i they have also saved my knee's twice so far.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I run pinstripes, they've been good to me!

I like the look of the POC though, apparently they are really comfy and less bulky than other brands so its easy to fit them under pants.

Mr Kurt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fox launch...are great i forget i even have them on, They vent well & i they have also saved my knee's twice so far.
Do the launch's come in a just a single knee guard? I did a quick CRC search and they only sell them in a knee/shin.

I like the look of the POC though, apparently they are really comfy and less bulky than other brands so its easy to fit them under pants.
I did see them, and i know there is no price on safety. But $100 is a bit to far for Knee Pads.

Mr Kurt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bumb this thread up :)

I need help with the sizeing. I dont like the idea of buying safety gear over the internet BUT ITS SO DAMN CHEAP. Im not sure what ide fit, so far the only brand that has sort of explained there sizing, is POC.

So does anybody know where to find a chart showing how the sizes for sixsixone knee pads work?

Ive also now decided to invest in elbow pads, just becuase i can, ill just get the same as whatever the knee pads are.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
i've got a set of medium IXS Hack elbow and knee guards, mostly because i use them for derby as well. bit bulky on my mtb tho.

for bmx i use Thor neoprene elbows, in medium. light enough to be flexible but protective if i come off. i'd recommend them for light use.

i'm 5'2" and weigh in at 68kg.

crampy

Likes Bikes
I'm in the same boat at the moment. Tossing up between the Kyle Strait and the Fox Launch.

Been told the Fox Launch sizing is:

S/M
Top strap opening: 13-17 inches
Bottom strap opening: 11-13 ½ inches
Length: 13 ½ inches

L/XL
Top strap opening: 15-19 inches
Bottom strap opening: 13-15 ½ inches
Length: 14 ½ inches

Still trying to find out the sizing of 661.

Mr Kurt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think im just gonna go to my LBS, ill pay a lil extra, but atleast ill know they will fit. I think im gonna go for kyle striats, but if there are luanches and they are more comfy, ill buy em. haha

Thanks everyone