Knee Pads

mtbzone

Squid
Hi All,
Looking at getting some good knee pads ( doctor orders ) for trail / XC riding. One that good for three / all day rides. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Z

Zaf

Get a pair of the leg sleeve ones, without straps.
Race Face Charge
Dakine Slayer
Specialized Atlas
Fox Launch

Take your pick, all will do a great job and are super comfy for longer periods. Less protection against bone breaks, but def stop a good deal of abrasion/contusion/laceration type injuries from debris.

Puddleduck

Likes Dirt
Another for +1 IXS. I've got their more DH orientated knee pads and I wear them for everything. Trail rides for up to 3hr/4hr and shuttles. Comfy and never have injured my knees.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Annnnnnnnnd another vote for IXS Flows. Super comfy and can be ridden easily on long day epics. I don't even give them a second thought.

koiom

Likes Bikes
I recently got some TLD KGS5400.
Only had one ride in them so far but forgot I had them on.
Given that they're actually the first knee pads I've ridden in, I couldn't ask for me than that.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Another vote for ixs flow. There is a new model our now with zip sides. Appears only ze german sites have them currently, although i expect CRC will have the new range soon as they have been out of stock for 3 or 4 months!

RichJS

Likes Dirt
Race Face Charge Knee - would love to tell you about them from personal experience but the chunts at UByk still haven't sent them to me 4 months after placing my order. They are a knee-warmer with a protective pad on front that prevents only abrasions / cuts .. which may be all you're after - what's the doc say?

Fox Launch Enduro - someone took an old diver's wetsuit, cut out 20cm from the knees, sewed some extra rubber on the front and a little mesh window on the back. The breather holes, they do nothing! They weren't terrible, per se - I just didn't like riding in wetsuit knees. Better for mid-winter somewhere well into the lower half of Aus maybe? I liked indoor climbing wearing one, after I had some stitches out of my knee..

TLD Speed Knee - light but more serious pad than the RF Charge. Thick knit with maybe 4mm of D3O padding. After several hours on a hot day I think they might have been rubbing away a bit of skin on the back where they crease as I pedalled. Worn numerous other rides, they're nice enough.

TLD Raid - tried these on in an LBS, nothing more. The Speed Knee M/L is the right size of me, but I seemed to be between the XS/S and the M/L in the Raid. Seems like a pad that offers great (AM/Enduro level) protection and comfort.

NukeProof Critical Enduro Knee Sleeve - bought them, tried them on, they seem like might be a nice pad after breaking them in a bit. Too many other options now ..

POC VPD Air - I don't particularly like the whole "We'll charge a million dollars for all our stuff cause we're swedish and safety like volvo" thing but these are a nice sized and shaped blob of D3O-alike "Viscous Polymer Dough" offering decent protection against impact. And I raced 100km XC in them without discomfort. There's the VPD 2.0 and 2.0 DH versions for going harder, too.

~2004 Fox 911 Knee/Shins - They offer hardshell protection to knee and shin front. They flex effortlessly where the pad narrows between the knee cap and the shin guard, and sit in place OK with just 3 relatively narrow straps. They don't weigh much and dont strap over the back of your knees. The shells could have been a bit thicker, but otherwise perhaps a better trail/AM/whatever level pad than so many others on sale today?

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Currently wearing 7iDP Transition knee pads. Very comfortable, no fuss, forget you are wearing them type pads. I've tested them a few times now and the pad on the knee did its job well. I wouldn't mind if the padding was a little wider around the knee but overall I'm pretty happy with them.

The IXS Flow knee pads seem to get universal praise from what I read so they could be a good option too.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Shit hey, these IXS Flows seem to be getting all the love... if this post was made a year ago it'd be Dainese TrailSkins getting all the recommendations.

mtbzone

Squid
Another vote for ixs flow. There is a new model our now with zip sides. Appears only ze german sites have them currently, although i expect CRC will have the new range soon as they have been out of stock for 3 or 4 months!
Hey RichJ, Thanks for the in-depth feedback., As to what the doc said, I had knee surgery ( two weeks until I can ride again, four months all up)and he much said I need some sort knee pads to help protect them.I do like the poc , but not at price they are.

bootsandall

Likes Dirt
I have been a big fan of the Fox Launch Pro, hard shell over the knee and lots of padding around the sides. Big breathing hole at the inside of the knee so not too hot.

Mate has the POC pads but they have no where near as much open cooling and they don't have the hard shell but the construction is better than the Fox's.

I wear them on all rides, all year - trails and Thredbo lift days. As my Father, Sister have had knee reconstructions and one cousin has had 3! I know my family has shit knee's so am taking care to not join the club.

teK--

Eats Squid
If you want a little more protection than the IXS Flows then get their Carve pads . I'm onto second set after wearing one out, and they were great in a 3 day back country trek plus I use them for almost everything else.