Knee Pads

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’ve just started wearing knee pads more often as the descending aspect of my regular rides has gone up a notch.
Was on old Fox ones, have just purchased the ‘Enduro Pro’ model and will test out Friday.

Shall report back.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I gave up on lightweight and comfortable. I run dainese trail skins but have since moved to a hardermore robust knee pad. Took me a long time, but I saw a few kids who would roll them up on a climb and stick them back on at the top, why did it take me so long to figure that one out?!

Hal-9000

Likes Dirt
Have resisted knee pads for the last few years as they just seem like they would be hot and bulky......... But, I'm getting old and sensible now so I think the time has come for me to invest in some.
I ride at Harcourt a lot which means lots of climbing before fast rocky descents. The granite rock slabs at Harcourt have quite abrasive surfaces so wondering if I should get something like the Fox Launch Pro which has a hard cap over the knee so that it slides rather than material that would grip and then pull the knee guard down..?
Or doesn't it really make much difference?
My top four so far are
  • Fox Launch Pro D30
  • 7idp Flex
  • Alpinestars Vector Pro (great price.. Zero online reviews)
  • 7idp Sam Hill.

The Sam Hills don't have any straps and while people say they stay put, I just wonder if pads with straps at the calf are better.
Lots of climbing means something coolish in the summer is also preferable.

Last edited:

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Have resisted knee pads for the last few years as they just seem like they would be hot and bulky......... But, I'm getting old and sensible now so I think the time has come for me to invest in some.
I ride at Harcourt a lot which means lots of climbing before fast rocky descents. The granite rock slabs at Harcourt have quite abrasive surfaces so wondering if I should get something like the Fox Launch Pro which has a hard cap over the knee so that it slides rather than material that would grip and then pull the knee guard down..?
My top four so far are
  • Fox Launch Pro
  • 7idp Flex
  • 7idp Sam Hill.
The Sam Hills don't have any straps and while people say they stay put, I just wonder if pads with straps at the calf are better.
Smashed knees bad
Kneepads good
Well designed Hard-caps on kneepads even better if the pads are good and fit well.

I have hardcaps on my poc elbow pads and they definitely help slide over rock. Haven't had a prob with the POC non hardcap knees but keen to find some for that reason.

Last edited:

Goats

Squid
My top four so far are
  • Fox Launch Pro
  • 7idp Flex
  • 7idp Sam Hill.
Troy Lee 5400s
Hard Cap, no straps but I’ve had a pair for 5 years and they are comfortable, always stayed in place and have paid for themselves many times over in protecting me during some nasty crashes.

Hal-9000

Likes Dirt
Troy Lee 5400s
Hard Cap, no straps but I’ve had a pair for 5 years and they are comfortable, always stayed in place and have paid for themselves many times over in protecting me during some nasty crashes.
Hmm, the Troy Lee's didn't show up on my radar.....again, no straps, just relying on elastics and grippers...... Elastics haven't stretched over the years making them a little loose fitting?
Other than that, I like the look of them.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been using Fox Launch pro on all but XC rides for a few months now.
They seem to be a good compromise for decent protection while not being uncomfortable on longer rides over a couple of hours.
I don't really notice them until its time to get them off a again, when I realize what a sweaty mess they are lol.

Have had two stacks in them, no marks or tears on the fabric covered pad and obviously my knees were fine ha ha. Seem rock solid and have not moved.

Goats

Squid
Hmm, the Troy Lee's didn't show up on my radar.....again, no straps, just relying on elastics and grippers...... Elastics haven't stretched over the years making them a little loose fitting?
Other than that, I like the look of them.
They’ve loosened a little with use but considering ive probably pedalled 6000 plus kms in them and been thrown in the washing machine regularly they still don’t fall down and only have a few tears in the fabric. I’ve been amazed how well they have protected me in some pretty nasty offs while being very comfortable in all situations.
Don’t forget Straps can stretch and not be as effective with use too.
I agree there are other good options out there now but I’m happy to stick with what has worked for me.

nathanm

Eats Squid
As my legs are the size of a Russian short course Ice skater on steroids, most knee pads don't fit.

My research shows that 661/Leatt have the biggest thigh opening at 53-58cm and Enduro may again be bigger still at either 57 or 60+cm.

Does anyone have experience with these brands particularly the Endura Singlestrack and strap vs strapless designs. I'm concerned that with the size of my legs the plain elastic styles will just stretch and distort and just fall down without the velcro strap keeping them in place.

Looking at more enduro style than DH so something flexible and breathable is the go but they simply just need to be able to fit and stay in place.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Have you tried the Ion K-Pact knee pads? Whilst i'm not Russian spec like you, I have found elastic pads always start stretching and slipping. Just ordered some Ions so hoping the velcro straps top and bottom secure them more effectively.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Have you tried the Ion K-Pact knee pads? Whilst i'm not Russian spec like you, I have found elastic pads always start stretching and slipping. Just ordered some Ions so hoping the velcro straps top and bottom secure them more effectively.
according to the size guide they're only 49/37cm so on the small size, which is a pity as they look good.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Nerf, what's the sizing like on the IXS knee and elbow pads? do they tend to run on the small side?
I think I'm around the upper end of L and the lower end of XL measurement wise on the IXS size chart.
Also, when it says "measure 2cm above knee (or elbow)" does that mean 2cm above patella or elbow joint?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Nerf, what's the sizing like on the IXS knee and elbow pads? do they tend to run on the small side?
I think I'm around the upper end of L and the lower end of XL measurement wise on the IXS size chart.
Also, when it says "measure 2cm above knee (or elbow)" does that mean 2cm above patella or elbow joint?
I was certainly an XL on their height basis but was concerned that I may not be ‘thick enough’ around the quad for the XL.

Got XL and wouldn’t want any smaller. For whatever that’s worth to you.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I love the IXS pads, but have stopped wearing my XL knee ones as they aren't comfortable anymore.. I just did the 2cm above knee measurement and realised that I probably need an XXL which doesn't exist.

So, any recommendations for brands that do bigger sizes? Leatt seems to, but $150..

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
As above, Euro sizing seems to be 1 size down from US sizing