Know of/used any cheap automotive tyre sealants?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
What is that you don't understand ? I can't run the same pressures in tyres as I can on tubeless to tubes without pinch flatting with the bikes I have. Tyres also absorb shock from the trail, you run higher pressures, you reduce that effect and the bike's shocks have to then deal with it.
You're suggesting that "you'd love to go back to tubes" but "the problem I find is most MTB suspension and tyres are designed around running low tyre pressures". Seems to be suggesting that modern suspension and and tyres run worse with tubes than you used to love?

Unless, it's just a communication issue and you're simply saying "I'd love to not have to stuff around with sealant but don't want to sacrifice the low pressure ability of tubeless"???

BT180

Max Pfaff
I think the days of 18psi and under are largely gone for the modern bike that's not a fatty, but I don't see a need to be running 30-35+ unless you're the different kind of fatty

moorey

call me Mia
I think the days of 18psi and under are largely gone for the modern bike that's not a fatty, but I don't see a need to be running 30-35+ unless you're the different kind of fatty
Why do you think higher pressures are needed, what with stronger side walks, proper tubeless rims/beads and good sealant...not to mention tyre inserts?

BT180

Max Pfaff
You say the days of 18psi are over for modern bikes.
Why the change?
18psi and Under. If you go too low then you get a tonne of sidewall flex and squirm. Can only be mitigated by running Cushcore or DH casings. I think <18psi is too low unless on fatbikes. I'm also saying really high pressures aren't needed either because, even though modern suspension is so good at erasing chatter, they still make the bike feel and handle like shit. There's no need to go too high OR too low, is all i'm saying.

Of course this is all IMHO and it's based on personal experience.

moorey

call me Mia
We probably ARE saying same thing...it just sounded like you were saying that 18 used to be ok, but not any more.
I know I can run lower now days, with tubeless and good sidewalls, but rear 25 is my average number. A bit more if rocky, a bit less if not. Below 20 I notice the squirm unless a DH casing.
On the rare occasion I’ve resorted to a tube in the last 5 years, I’ve added a lot more and still flatted.

Hey

Likes Bikes
Been running slime for a while now and it works great. Much better than Stans and it washes out with water if you want to change tyres.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Jumping into the way back machine here, back when everyone lost their shit when the tioga psycho arrived, 1.75” tyres with 50psi was the norm.
I distinctly remember my first set of tubeless rims and UST tyres. First race was the Flight Centre Epic, 2008 or 2009. Ran 40 / 45psi tubeless. Thought it was faster. Dude setting up next to me was running higher.

Douchebags.

Hey

Likes Bikes
The bright green shite?
Yes, the bright green shit, tho it does have a black fleck. It’s thick too, but you got to get the right green slime. They do one to put in tubes and another that is for tubeless. It’s great stuff, and lasts for 2 years without top up. Unlike others like Stans that require regular top up. No more Stans balls, no more Stans aftermarth as it just hoses out.

sound like you not a read da label ‍♂