Kona Stinky Owners Unite!

AirDog

Likes Dirt
stinky|dan said:
AirDog said:
may i suggest a mrp copy
tomach boy makes them they work flawlessly and are cheap 120 with genuine mrp rollers.
i havn't droped a chain once with mine
What do they look like? Do you know if there are any pics around?

Dan
ok heres a pic of a system 2 on my ol stinky (before all my upgrades)

they are nice as i've never droped a chain and it was so simple to set up .. he gives u a bag of washers and bolts and stuff to get the spacing right and its a very good job for something made at home. once i deposited the money into his account it was sent same day over night.

dannyboy

Likes Bikes
Stinky 01

I run Boxxer race which suit the bike great , you can get them at a good price and aren't too heavy. My 7" plates are on the way from Dangerboyz to! . I have ridden a 01 Stinky with Monster T's and it was like a tank! Great for D/H but nothing alse. Hard to Mono and manual . Saying that some people go for that and it suits them , different stokes for different folks! Chain device , i use a blackspire and have never had a single problem with it , running just a 38 tooth single ring up front. The chain has never come off or been a problem. I run Sunn Double wide rims , 24" rear and although abit heavy are so strong and look the biz aswell , mega fat in black! Hayes 8" hydros finish it off. Love my bike and wouldn't change it for anything. Goes everywhere , does anything , just! A new paint job and some graphics are on the cards though. There are so many gold stinkys out there !!

Dan

stinky|dan

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the input dannyboy.

The Fox Vanilla on my bike is wheezing like an asthmatic at the moment. Probably about time for a service. I'll be getting that done when i install the plates. I also intend to get the frame either powdercoated or painted. Not sure which yet. I know it'll be a nice gloss black though.

I love my Stinky.

Dan

timme

Banned
stinkys crack

u guys have to be careful cause i cracked my kona stinky 02 frame and i didnt have n e up grades like forks or n e thing, i jus rode dh on it and one day i had a huge crack in it. Kona rnt that great wid warrently either, so all this upgrading will prob void it! jus b careful

stinky|dan

Likes Dirt
Warranty is not an issue for me because the bike is more than a year old. I'm pretty careful with mine as i can't afford to replace the frame just yet. That means no hucking to flat!

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
stinky|dan said:
Airdog,

Raid,
Are you sure? I work at a shop anyway so it'll be nice and cheap!
pretty sure the price was quoted in one of the forums here by someone who either had access to Norco prices or worked for Norco distributor
do a search its somewhere here

stinky|dan

Likes Dirt
I've already checked cost pricing with the NOrco Distributor but i didn't bother checking retail because i won't be paying it. You wouldn't be far wronf though on that $300 price. Cheaper to get it sent from unrealcycles.com if you are going to be paying retail.

AirDog

Likes Dirt
yeah where did this crack occur ?

yeah dan them chain guides are sweet.

i also suggest powder coating.... i just got mine done matt black and flame red i'll post pics one day when its all back together

G

i got an 03 stinky with 01 monster T and yeah they are hard to mono and manual but they are buff as.
i put a MAVIC D321 on the front with a tubless setup. i also threw on a truvative MK1 chain device which ain't that crash hot but it does the job, with a 38T ring. i wanna get me a longer travel shock for the back but $$ is an issue at the momentso its just running a standard vanilla which only has 1 advantage. its simple, needs pretty much no mantainence and nothing to go wrong with em, but still i want an RC. oh and a desposable, deore rear derailure.

AirDog

Likes Dirt
i got a disposable deore derailer :lol:

comes in two parts :) lets see how long me 600 lasts

also can u get an rc with a 58mm stroke ?

bazza

put me on stinky owners list (yeah why not? :D )

It's an oldie but a goodie.
2000 or even '99 (pre-clump gussets)
Hope C2 and XC hubs laced to Mavic D521 (tops)
Michelins both ends (2.8 front is sooooo goooood)
BlackSpire guide & XT rear deraill. (works v well)
Odi (thin) lockjaws
Azonic shorty stem

:arrow: **NEW addition*** 2002 Jr T (Thanks Kirk) with 7 inches working a treat, though only 1 ride so far....

now I see the cranks are getting a bit tired, they're original LX or so from years back... saving pennies to get splined drive

I am thinking of BETD plates but was not aware of any others... will have to check them out

Murray
(it's an edit of my first post)

thanks man its good to be here.

forgot to mention that my non-drive chainstay broke on the weld to the dropout (out of warranty), after some stalling on both sides I got a second hand job from Kona for $60 which is a newer section and much thicker - the old one was welded up pretty good but I wasnt going to ride in fear!

now to get a cute photo and a funny signature.....

RussM9

Cannon Fodder
I'm a 02 stinky owner.

I got a Stinky 9, dunno how many there are around, I was told not many. I'm basically running everything it came with out of the box, just with a black spy chain device. Runs sweet.

bassmonkey

Likes Dirt
stinky|dan said:
Warranty is not an issue for me because the bike is more than a year old. I'm pretty careful with mine as i can't afford to replace the frame just yet. That means no hucking to flat!

Kona frame warranty is like 5 years or more isn't it? Don't let that dissuade you from not hucking to flat though.