KONA24 Hour - Forrest - Nov 28/29

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Not long to go now, entries are open.

The trails are drying out. :)

Who's in and who's out?

Forrest MTB club has a number of solo and team riders entering and it'd be great to know who else is coming down.

Don't forget to come over and say hello, we're hard to miss.

Roland

Last edited:

chops007

Likes Dirt
my first solo..

Not long to go now, entries are open.

The trails are drying out. :)

Who's in and who's out?

Forrest MTB club has a number of solo and team riders entering and it'd be great to know who else is coming down.

Roland
and so bloody scared.... but it gives me a good reason to punish everyone in my spin classes hehe...

i hope you guys supply us with great weather...

chops

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Another solo! somehow I think the solo fields in all 24hr's this year are going to swell :)

What are the trails going to be like? hilly? pinchy? last time I rode forrest it was the mid loop of the very first Otway. I just remember slightly sandy, lots of corners with pinches straight after them...

Cheers
Gonz

dr.evil

Likes Dirt
We're in as a sensible team of 3. It will be a nice change after our solo slug efforts at Stromlo. Watch out for a Kona SS, Titanium Zaka and a Beijing Gold Goose.

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Another solo! somehow I think the solo fields in all 24hr's this year are going to swell :)

What are the trails going to be like? hilly? pinchy? last time I rode forrest it was the mid loop of the very first Otway. I just remember slightly sandy, lots of corners with pinches straight after them...

Cheers
Gonz
This year has been wetter than the last few, so by end November trails should be A1. They are sand based so hold up well in wet weather.

You have a bit of a climb out of the football ground up to the trail head, but then it's pretty much single-track heaven from there. Most trails in the Yaugher area will be included at some stage, (if they continue with the three lap format from last year). The night lap should be a ripper

DaGonz

Eats Squid
You have a bit of a climb out of the football ground up to the trail head, but then it's pretty much single-track heaven from there. Most trails in the Yaugher area will be included at some stage, (if they continue with the three lap format from last year). The night lap should be a ripper
Should we expect about hour +/- laps again? I'm wondering if I can get away with bottle hand ups or if I'll need camelbacks.

Cheers
Gonz

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Should we expect about hour +/- laps again? I'm wondering if I can get away with bottle hand ups or if I'll need camelbacks.

Cheers
Gonz
Ummm.... The hour + laps were mine, not the fit riders. :)

Most laps would be less than an hour

The results below are for Red Racer:
25 laps
22:34:03

Snozza

Full Gas Promotions
You don't need to brake like you did at the Sydney 24hr. That is the big difference. And the Sydney 24hr was ridiculous!
and that ladies and gentlemen is why he won last year's Kona 24hr!! No braking, the secret is out!

Yes, the 3 lap format is back.
And we will be officially announcing in the next day or so a nice fat prize purse to the fastest team overall, irrespective of team size... as well as cash for the solo winners (Overall male/female) as well as a couple of other bonuses for the solo victors...
Weather? who could say... personally I'm over the rain at the moment!!

Cranker

Likes Dirt
We've entered for the first time a team of mixed sixes.
Hardly been doing any training at all......it's going to be interesting!:D

JorgenY22

Likes Dirt
It has been my goal of the past few months to enter this event as a solo rider, however I'm still working on my fitness and was going to leave registering till after the Gravity 12 hour - using that as an assessment of whether I could do this undertaking. (With Around the Bay and at least one other 6 hour before that).

At roughly what time do you reckon the the available spots will start to run thin? Thanks!

DaGonz

Eats Squid
At roughly what time do you reckon the the available spots will start to run thin? Thanks!
I can't answer that, but what I can say is if you think this sounds like a race you want to do, then enter it anyway! The great thing about endurance racing is it doesn't matter how fit you are, you vary your pace and/or time on the bike accordingly.

Worst case you get a big training ride, meet some great people, have some fun & pick up some valuable experience along the way....

...or you could surprise your self and ride longer & further than you ever have before! I watched a guy who'd been riding for less than a year crank out 14 laps with no sleep on the weekend!!! Fitness is not the obstacle!

Enter, and use the 12 & 6 hour to help set your goals for the big one!

Cheers
Gonz

btothec

Likes Dirt
I can't answer that, but what I can say is if you think this sounds like a race you want to do, then enter it anyway! The great thing about endurance racing is it doesn't matter how fit you are, you vary your pace and/or time on the bike accordingly.

Worst case you get a big training ride, meet some great people, have some fun & pick up some valuable experience along the way....

...or you could surprise your self and ride longer & further than you ever have before! I watched a guy who'd been riding for less than a year crank out 14 laps with no sleep on the weekend!!! Fitness is not the obstacle!

Enter, and use the 12 & 6 hour to help set your goals for the big one!

Cheers
Gonz
I'm going to have a guess at that person you saw crank out 14 laps on the weekend would be me. I've only been riding MTB for just over 5 months. For the lead up to this weekends Scott 24hr I had been putting in a fair bit of time into training but still could have been a lot fitter. I say enter it and have a go. That's the only way your going to find out if you can do it or not. You don't have to ride all the time. Sit down and rest when you need, walk and push your bike or even have a nap if you need. Just have a crack and do your best!!!

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
and that ladies and gentlemen is why he won last year's Kona 24hr!! No braking, the secret is out!

Yes, the 3 lap format is back.
And we will be officially announcing in the next day or so a nice fat prize purse to the fastest team overall, irrespective of team size... as well as cash for the solo winners (Overall male/female) as well as a couple of other bonuses for the solo victors...
Weather? who could say... personally I'm over the rain at the moment!!
The rain looks to have slowed for the minute - in fact the trails will be grat this week. Amazing what a couple of days of sunshine can do.

Also, I believe the three loops will be different to last year. Hmmm.... really enjoyed doing Super Loop in reverse for the night lap, will be hard to beat

jab80

Likes Bikes
I'm going solo, looking forward to getting onto the sweet, sweet Forrest single track again. Like the club uniforms by the way uhuforrest.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
It has been my goal of the past few months to enter this event as a solo rider, however I'm still working on my fitness and was going to leave registering till after the Gravity 12 hour - using that as an assessment of whether I could do this undertaking. (With Around the Bay and at least one other 6 hour before that).

Hmmm, entered three 24 solos and was there at the end for all of em... entered 4 12hr solos... yet to complete a single one! Something about the 12 just messes with my head in a way that a 24 doesn't (I've probably pulled out early from more 8hr solos than I've completed as well for that matter...)

The great thing about a 24 solo is that there's plenty of time in the middle to rest, recover and get back on the bike (he says remembering the 8hrs of cramping hell that was Canmore!)

Do it :)

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
For those that did it last year... can we (esp solos) camp beside our cars? Just wondering whether its the car fridge or the esky :) and do I need to bring the trolley!

Getting excited...