KONA24 Hour - Forrest - Nov 28/29

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
For those that did it last year... can we (esp solos) camp beside our cars? Just wondering whether its the car fridge or the esky :) and do I need to bring the trolley!

Getting excited...
And could the group who insisted on running their VERY loud generator in the caravan area all night please have more consideration this year

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
Could quite possibly be attending this year for the first time. Was wondering from previous years competitors whether or not a bike like a Reign X1 would be way too difficult to ride on this track - unfortunately it's the only 'trail' worthy bike I have. It'll be kitted out with faster/lighter tyres and the shocks will be adjusted with 'pedalling' in mind.
Not doing it too win, just want to experience the joys, relationships and fun of a 24 hour race :)
I will most probably be doing it in a team of 4 as well

Snozza

Full Gas Promotions
I'm very very happy to announce that we will be welcoming the current Olympic Road Racing Champion, 2008 World Road Champion, Commonwealth Games Champion, 10x British National Champion, Tour de France winner, World Cup Champion...the list goes on. Yes this is all the one person!!!
Welcome to the Kona 24hr; Nicole Cooke. The winningest female cyclist ever.

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im thinking of trying this in a team of 6... sounds like heaps of fun.

Was wondering if the tickets sell out (at all) or quickly? its taking a bit of time to organise everyone...

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
Shhh... don't tell anyone.

The three loop system will be back in force this year... and I'm led to believe that there has been a lot of testing going on the past few days.

With any luck there will be a new "climb" this year... but NOT the same climb as last year.

This year will include everyones favorite... Marriners run, but probably much earlier...

Night lap will be easier for sure this time (promise)... and the second day lap will save sometime for you to remember it by..

Stay tuned for a video over the next few days.

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
I'm very very happy to announce that we will be welcoming the current Olympic Road Racing Champion, 2008 World Road Champion, Commonwealth Games Champion, 10x British National Champion, Tour de France winner, World Cup Champion...the list goes on. Yes this is all the one person!!!
Welcome to the Kona 24hr; Nicole Cooke. The winningest female cyclist ever.
Bloody hell! Last year Trent Lowe... this year Nicole Cooke... Cadel next year?

Benduro

Likes Dirt
Hi,
Keen to put a team of 4 together for Kona 24 and looking at the entry info on the site it appears to be $120 to enter. Would this be an each person cost or is it only $120 for the team? Solo's are @ $140 each so I would assume it is a per competitor price. Anyone know for sure?
Looking forward to it either way:)
Cheers.

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Hi,
Keen to put a team of 4 together for Kona 24 and looking at the entry info on the site it appears to be $120 to enter. Would this be an each person cost or is it only $120 for the team? Solo's are @ $140 each so I would assume it is a per competitor price. Anyone know for sure?
Looking forward to it either way:)
Cheers.
Can tell you for sure that it is PER PERSON

Roland

stevo78

Likes Dirt
iwas wondering when more info will be released? im interested to know some details such where and when we can set up camp, course detail etc etc!

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
can't wait for this event, yes full gas promos do run a great event, so get on board if you are interested in riding. A few things I would really really like on course:
1. KM markers, there were times (night laps) where I didn't know where I was or how many ks to go.
2. accurate course maps prior to event or on day so we know how far courses are, us non-pros need all the information we can get.
and a radical thought;;;
3. results, recall at mont you could browse live results, could you set up wireless network on site and share out a second results file? It wouldn't be too hard to set up, i'm happy to organise, assuming you are using Russ Baker software, filemaker. So we could bring along laptops, access wifi network and view results file, it could be as simple as putting pdfs onto share so we can access. Just an idea!

adz

Likes Dirt
...some great ideas there.

If kilometer signs were to be included please keep them as minimum as neccessary. As a solo rider its nice to get a bit lost on course...not be reminded every kilometer that u have ridden another one.

Just my 2c

cheers

Adz

Optimus

Likes Bikes
If kilometer signs were to be included please keep them as minimum as neccessary. As a solo rider its nice to get a bit lost on course...not be reminded every kilometer that u have ridden another one.
Agree. One solution is not to always have them in the most easily recognised spot (ie on the ground, 1m to the side of the race line). I often miss those that are attached to trees. Yes this can somewhat defeat the purpose of having them, but if you really wanted to know how far you had to go, you'd surely be looking out for them...

Snozza

Full Gas Promotions
Kona 24hr; 2010 World Solo Championship Qualifier

Finally I can confirm that the 2009 Kona 24hr will be a qualifier event for the 2010 World Solo Championships to be held in Canberra! Very exciting.

Le Matelot will be along shortly on this forum with an official release...but in the meantime, break out the champagne (but not too much as there are only 30 days to go until the gun goes off in Forrest!)

Details of the Prize Money for the 2009 Kona 24hr are also being released tomorrow with the following on offer;
1st Solo Male & Female : $1500 Male & $1500 Female
Fastest Team: (irrespective of category): 1st $3000 2nd: $1000 3rd: $500
Fastest Mixed Team: (irrespective of category): $1000

Yes and before someone asks, you could be the fastest team overall (pick up $3000), be mixed in classification and pick up the bonus $1000.00

RED_RACER

Likes Dirt
Finally I can confirm that the 2009 Kona 24hr will be a qualifier event for the 2010 World Solo Championships to be held in Canberra! Very exciting.

Le Matelot will be along shortly on this forum with an official release...but in the meantime, break out the champagne (but not too much as there are only 30 days to go until the gun goes off in Forrest!)

Details of the Prize Money for the 2009 Kona 24hr are also being released tomorrow with the following on offer;

Yes and before someone asks, you could be the fastest team overall (pick up $3000), be mixed in classification and pick up the bonus $1000.00
whats second and third in solo? I would love to be able to justify the flight down if I can scrape a podium would that would help?

Jesus.

Likes Bikes
whats second and third in solo? I would love to be able to justify the flight down if I can scrape a podium would that would help?

I hope this is appropriate Red_Racer and does not offend.

I love the fact that you can look at a race and determine if it is financially viable by the size of the purse that you know you will most likely take home :p

So if I take out flights, accom, petrol, leaves me X.

Bloody awesome mate :D

normdouglas

Likes Dirt

Great news Snozza... good to see the sensible decision was made

RED_RACER

Likes Dirt
I hope this is appropriate Red_Racer and does not offend.

I love the fact that you can look at a race and determine if it is financially viable by the size of the purse that you know you will most likely take home :p

So if I take out flights, accom, petrol, leaves me X.

Bloody awesome mate :D
I dont know i will take anything home, it is more like is it worth the risk scenario. If I can ride the trails at Forest and come home and it costs me nothing or not much that is awesome :)

There are plenty of other races to do locally that will cost little at the end of the day. I would just prefer to ride Forest, they guys down there are fantastic.

Any chance of a cyclocross race the day before??!!