AM Lapierre XM527 e:i-less

goobags

Likes Dirt
Bought a brand new 2016 XM527 mid last year for 60% or so off retail as I had sold my old dually around 8 months prior and was looking that whole time for a new bike.

Since then I have replaced lots.

Original forks sucked, put an extra token in but they still sucked so they went. New secondhand fork had the rebound adjuster so the damper went in for a full rebuild.

e:i system gave me headaches. I knew this could be the Achilles heel of this bike and it was. Battery and charger were dead when I bought it then it’s just played up heaps after they were replaced. Lapierre wouldn’t warrant it if I removed it off the bike and the shop I bought it from is a 5 hour round trip. So I sold it and put a new shock on.

M8000 brakes were the first batch ones which pumped up so they went back for warranty and since sold as they still did it, or at least my brain thought they did.

KS dropper started to sag so it went for warranty and since sold as I was right on the minimum insertion

Came as 2x so that went and a decent under bar dropper lever went on

Rear shock bolt kept coming loose, torqued and loctited as per Lapierre instructions, then went with stronger loctite after it kept doing it.

That’s basically it. Haven’t ridden the new suspension, brakes or dropper yet so will see how it goes.

Overall for a $7k retail bike it’s a POS

Frame - 2016 Lapierre XM527 e:i
Rear shock - 2018 Fox DPX2
Front fork - 2017 Fox Factory 34 140mm
Handlebars - Lapierre
Stem - Lapierre
Grips - Lapierre
Saddle - SDG I think, colour matched which makes all the difference
Seatpost - 160mm Bikeyoke Revive
Brakes - Magura MT Trail Sport with 180mm icetech rotors front and rear.
Cranks - M8000
Chainring - Absolute Black 32t oval
Chain - 11sp
Pedals - M8000
Rear derailleur - M8000
Front shifter - Raceface Turbine 1x dropper lever
Rear shifter - M8000
Cassette - M8000
Wheels - Raceface Aeffect
Tyres - Maxxis Ardent 2.4f/2.2t
Total weight - sub 14kg need to weigh it after changing everything.
Extras - K-Edge garmin mount, orange anodised bits

Looking forward to getting out on it. And yes the current photo is of it dirty but it’s very rarely clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I've a love hate with my 827. Blisteringly fast. Only issue with its spec were brakes (also XT's) and SRAM wheels.

Already running Guide RS's and Carbonfan and hope pro4 will go on the moment I get my shit together and buy spokes.

You would not at all be happy with an 827 at full RRP either. This is why the distributor dropped them.

Thanks for your e:i system, I'll use it, or bits of it. I have no issues with mine so far, and love the fully open vs half locked when climbing mode.

The frame itself is bloody awesome I reckon, though I've an annoying creak I need to find, and the shock mountain bolt has threads in contact with the carbon, so it's clearly getting damaged every stroke. Is it an issue? Dunno yet.

goobags

Likes Dirt
Wow, looks great now. Thinking it needs some Carbonfans too
Have a fairly new set of Carbonfans on my other bike which I’m giving a beating and so far so good. I’ll put some wider rims on it one day as they’re only 23mmID, at the moment though I just need to ride it

Edit: just worked out who you are, I see what’s going on here, @link1896 stop stirring

Last edited:

goobags

Likes Dirt
Few changes,

Stole the Bikeyoke for my other bike and put a 185mm drop in. Don’t really notice the extra 25mm to be honest

30mm ID Light Bicycle rims on Hope Pro 2 hubs purchased secondhand from here. Wider rims are just so much better. Also went to a 2.4” Ardent on the back which is an improvement over the 2.25”

Wider carbon bars and a shorter stem

Luftkappe airspring upgrade. I noticed on my other bike that the fork with an Evol airspring is a lot better on the smaller bumps ie tree roots and the like. I have been watching the Tuesday Tune videos from Vorsprung and had my eye on this for a while but could never justify it. Coming from the NA2 spring this has made a huge difference. I was always impressed with the DPX2 and felt the fork was not quite at the same level. Still have to play with the damper dials but pretty good as a first attempt

Anyway, after replacing pretty much everything on it this bike, it’s finally awesome