Laptops

Honzo15

Likes Dirt
I need a workhorse, something reliable with long battery power, 13-15 inch screen, nothing to play one. I currently have an old MacBook but would be happy to go down a different path. I mainly need it for working on, writing, surfing and I want it to be quick. Im not really patient when it comes to computers. I also dont want to spend a fortune. Any tips? Never really looked into anything other then Apple but now I will.

stirk

Burner
What do you use a computer for?

If giving you advice about a bike the way you wrote the question I'd tell you to buy a commuter :heh:

Last edited:

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Quick answer, dell with solid state drive. Mines coming up to 3 years, battery still good, still runs new games and has survived a couple of coffees onto the keyboard now.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I have a Lenovo x240 Thinkpad for work.

Nice and light but beware that you can't get more than 8Gb of RAM for it. I think some other models in the Lenovo corral might have the same issues.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I have a Lenovo x240 Thinkpad for work.

Nice and light but beware that you can't get more than 8Gb of RAM for it. I think some other models in the Lenovo corral might have the same issues.
If you need more then 8, probably need a desktop for the task at hand.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Nah... The older x230's can take 16Gb.

It is all probably related to keeping power usage down so you have thinner laptop.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
I cut video so my definition of workhorse is probably a little different. It sounds like you don't need raw power, just speed, ergonomics and battery life. You probably just want something with a mid range i7, SSD and 4-8gb ram. A mid range to high end Dell, HP or Lenovo should be fine. I'm using a custom configured Metabox, it's higher powered than your average family desktop so it's probably overkill but they might have something that will suit you more in their range. Don't worry about discreet (seprate nVidia or ATI) graphics you'll just be trading off size and battery life.

Honzo15

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys, will have a look around. Currently working with 2GB Ram so everything bigger is fine. As I said I do use it a lot but only for really simple things like emails, writing, surfing the net, excel and these kind of things. I dont play games, watch movies or the likes.

Honzo15

Likes Dirt
What do you use a computer for?

If giving you advice about a bike the way you wrote the question I'd tell you to buy a commuter :heh:
Its part of my question actually and yes I do think a commuter is what Im looking for ;-)

stirk

Burner
Its part of my question actually and yes I do think a commuter is what Im looking for ;-)
Sorry, I saw that as basic use not work but if you're lucky enough to only use a document application and browse the web you don't need a powerful machine.

Kogan have some nice Asus 15" laptops for under a grand, running core i5, Windows 8. They would do the job nicely.

Last edited:

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think its going to be a Lenovo Thinkpad, an E450 I believe its called. Any reasons not to buy this?

http://shopap.lenovo.com/au/en/laptops/thinkpad/edge-series/e450/
Nah that's not a good deal.

Call your local MSY, ask for the Acer Aspire E1-570-53334G50MNKK. They have it on sale for $499.

Specs:
15.6"
Core i5 - 3337U - 2.70ghz
4GB ram
500gb hdd
Windows 8.1

Job done.

And if later down the track you want to improve the performance of the laptop. Throw an SSD in it.

Last edited: