Lawn Mower Help

BT180

Max Pfaff
So a year ago, we moved from our unit into a house with an average sized front and back yard. For mowing the lawn I was given an electric Flymo, which did the job OK, but was ultimately pretty rubbish. I've finally been able to upgrade to a proper petrol powered mower. In my 37 years it's the first one I've ever bought and the first one I've ever used (don't laugh!). So this is all a learning curve.

I ended up getting a 2nd hand Honda Buffalo HRU197 (Lower end of the commercial series). It's hardly been used and is in great condition.

One thing I have noticed though is that the 4 cutting blades have play in them and I can move them quite freely with my hand. This is probably an obvious question, but is this how it should be? I'm thinking it's meant to be like this so if the blades hit something hard they swing back and don't get damaged so easily. The bolts seem pretty tight.

I just want to make sure before I get into it and have a blade fly off and cut me down at the ankles!

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's so they pivot back when they hit something solid (rock or tree root etc) rather than splinter into your feet/ankles.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
How cool is this forum.....I have a random question.....get awesome answers! Ya learn something new every day on here.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
The old Victa Charger turned over for the last time this morning.

I think I need to buy a new mower; don't have a great deal of lawn, and it's a hilly awkward block so something manoeuvrable would be ideal.

Anybody have a (useful) opinion or recent positive experience with a new mower?

Fortius

Likes Bikes

I think I need to buy a new mower; don't have a great deal of lawn, and it's a hilly awkward block so something manoeuvrable would be ideal.

Get a Honda

I found one on the side of the road that someone was putting out for rubbish removal... Change the oil and first pull it goes. Been running great for 4 years now. The old man has a Honda that's been going for as long as I can remember, if I ever need a new one that's where I'd go first.

Flow-Rider

Burner
So a year ago, we moved from our unit into a house with an average sized front and back yard. For mowing the lawn I was (snip)

I just want to make sure before I get into it and have a blade fly off and cut me down at the ankles!
Yes the blades should rotate easily but make sure the bolts aren't worn and they have been fitted with some type of lock nut, you're meant to replace the bolts and locknuts every time you replace the blades but some people don't. Good choice on the Honda mower.

Last edited:

BT180

Max Pfaff
Yes the blades should rotate easily but make sure the bolts aren't worn and they have been fitted with some type of lock nut, you're meant to replace the bolts and locknuts every time you replace the blades but some people don't. Good choice on the Honda mower.
Thanks. This thread is a 4 year old grave dig, but in any case, the Honda is still going strong. Haven't even serviced it or changed the oil yet! Probably should get around to that though.....

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I'm a battery convert. No more fuel mixing, no more hot parts like exhaust, half the noise, easy to lift up and over retaining walls etc. Tip it over to check the blades and a service is done. I had an electric corded mower for a while but got sick of the cord.

I bought a 36v Ryobi second hand for $250 and it does my yard fine on a 5ah battery unless I let the lawn get too long. (about 250m2 of lawn)

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
How long until push reel mowers become cool again? (I'm looking at getting one for my new smallish lawn when it finally needs mowing).

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
How long until push reel mowers become cool again? (I'm looking at getting one for my new smallish lawn when it finally needs mowing).
I had one for our townhouse that I had a few years ago. The area wasn't worth bothering for a petrol / electric mower. I'll gladly ride a bike around for a few hours so should not run away from a bit of old school mowing. The scene was set. The Bunnings and chain store ones looked like plastic rubbish that are prone to fall apart.

I have one of these Great States Mowers from Indiana.
It is the schnizz of the push mower world and does a great job, just keep the blades sharp and off you go....Braappppppppp....Brapppppppppp......

31u4cn2hFLL.jpg

stirk

Burner
I had one for our townhouse that I had a few years ago. The area wasn't worth bothering for a petrol / electric mower. I'll gladly ride a bike around for a few hours so should not run away from a bit of old school mowing. The scene was set. The Bunnings and chain store ones looked like plastic rubbish that are prone to fall apart.

It is the schnizz of the push mower world and does a great job, just keep the blades sharp and off you go....Braappppppppp....Brapppppppppp......

View attachment 335677
Added bonus is your exercising your core at the same time!

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Added bonus is your exercising your core at the same time!
It isn't the huge pile of suffering as I thought it would be. If the lawn is fairly smooth it is pretty easy task and almost enjoyable. You can make 2 or 4 stroke noises if you like too.

Much easier than the climb out of Bedford Creek which I would gladly do now instead of being in a souless office today....Noo...... I want my soul back.

stirk

Burner
It isn't the huge pile of suffering as I thought it would be. If the lawn is fairly smooth it is pretty easy task and almost enjoyable. You can make 2 or 4 stroke noises if you like too.

Much easier than the climb out of Bedford Creek which I would gladly do now instead of being in a souless office today....Noo...... I want my soul back.
I recall using a few push mowers in my time, I think my dad bought a cheap one to punish me as it was horrendous to push but I've used another that was sublime, almost easier than a petrol mower as it was quiet light.

It's getting cooler now, felt autumn's chill today, perfect riding weather in autumn!

droenn

Fat Man's XC President

View attachment 335677
Imported or local distributer? Bit of googling tells me that Australia really has limited options. Out of easily available ones, the Flymo H40 is "ok"

But I'd bet you'd find a 101 different leaf-blowers at your fingertips....

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I recall using a few push mowers in my time, I think my dad bought a cheap one to punish me as it was horrendous to push but I've used another that was sublime, almost easier than a petrol mower as it was quiet light.
I don't have anything else to compare with but push reel or cylinder mowers I think fit Bonty's axiom - light, strong, cheap, pick any two. The cheapest Bunnings Ozito ones looked a bit too lightweight.

It's getting cooler now, felt autumn's chill today, perfect riding weather in autumn!
I noticed it too. We will all me moaning about the cold soon enough :)