LBS etiquette

marc.r

Likes Dirt
Yup what JD said. Any LBS worth their salt will provide excellent service to any loyal customer. A few weeks ago I destroyed my rear derailleur. Limped the bike back into the shop for repairs. Sure I could have bought the derailleur for cheaper online but the LBS said they would have it fixed and ready to roll the next day.
24 hours later I am on my bike with new derailleur (at a better then expected price), spokes (I manged to bust a few of them in the crash) and the bike has been serviced and cleaned - that level of customer service brings me back time and time again.

An online shop can't do that. If I took the online option I might have saved a few $$ but it would also mean waiting for the item to be sent to me - that's time off the bike I would rather not have. The LBS might not be able to beat online for price, but it sure can beat them when it comes to great customer service.

this type of customer/service is the only way LBS can survive. about the only thing LBS have left to offer over online is making their customers feel good and connected.

i like to think of myself as a penny pincher but sometimes when you get good service you actually like spending money in the store! it becomes part of your lifestyle and you forget about the fact you could be saving yourself online.

most of my shit I still buy online but if im in a hurry there are only a few LBS that will get my business and thats the ones who make me feel good when I walk in the door.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
That is poor no-one got back to you. In regards to the price, did you physically go into store? You wouldn't believe the amount of time wasters on email and phone. A professional store should still have a follow-up protocol.

My advice is go into the store, show that you are serious and then discuss the price.

Ive still experienced the blow off when ive gone into stores to enquire about bike purchases. .... get responses like "oh im not sure, how do you know you actually want that bike? why do you want that one, its probobly not suitable for you why dont you try one we have on the, It will take a lot of time, there is probobly no stock and I dont know how long it will take to get an answer etc etc etc"

ive felt like the only way I can get a response is to put 3000 in cash on the table and say... "im going to spend this on a bike, it can be in your store or somewhere else. are you interested in spending some time helping me out or not"

John U

MTB Precision
That is poor no-one got back to you. In regards to the price, did you physically go into store? You wouldn't believe the amount of time wasters on email and phone. A professional store should still have a follow-up protocol.

My advice is go into the store, show that you are serious and then discuss the price.
Fair enough, but if a store thinks you're a time waster they shouldn't state they'll get back to you. If I go into a store and order a part I would prefer the store to tell me they can't be fucked dealing with it rather than wait a week or to to find out that is the case and then try and source from somewhere else. The honesty would be refreshing. I may even revisit that store.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
I really don't understand this 'treat them like mates' trend towards the LBS. Unless they are your mates of course, then don't be a dick and be nice.
Sooo, nice = dick?

And this is the problem with the world today.
Do you know the name of your local butcher? I bet not.
It's called having a sense of community, and it's what is missing in the world today.
There is a big difference between being over familiar and fake, to being honestly interested in establishing a good rapport with people that ARE part of a community and culture that you are also a part of.

It's this whole 'Just shutup and do what I want just cause I'm throwing the dollars down' attitude that is causing the divide between service and business.
I don't want a robot behind the counter, I want a human that I can possibly have a laugh with while I get my business done.
Doesn't matter if it's a cab driver or a bank clerk.
Everyone these days just wants the quick fix and they aren't interested in investing in long term relationships with retailers.

I penned a letter to my local council thanking the garbage man for showing my little boy how the big garbage bin grippers worked. Does that make me a dick? No, nice does not equal dick.

Next time you go to your LBS, crack a smile and try and have an actual real conversation. You might actually get something out of it.

As a side note, I noticed there was mention of how there should be no emotional attachment, but I disagree.
How can someone be passionate about a hobby or sport and not be emotionally attached to the process of expanding and nurturing your experience of this hobby, and a big part of that is the physical / material items perusal and acquisition from a location that is full of like-minded souls.
Good service based retail relies upon your trust and loyalty. Trust and loyalty are conditions that are not seperate from emotion.

Last edited:

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Next time you go to your LBS, crack a smile and try and have an actual real conversation. You might actually get something out of it.

As a LBS employee, I cannot agree more with this!

We, the guys at your LBS ride bikes too, we're not robots, we don't like getting talked down on because YOUR fancy bicycle requires everything done on the spot for free and we can't do it because were busy etc.

Treat us like humans, and we will always have a minute for you, treat us like your slaves, providing a 'service' to you, and we'll send you down to goldcross.

EDIT - and when you bring things in you brought online, Don't lie and say you got it from a mate! We've heard it before, honesty goes a long way! who knows, we may be riding buddies one day!

driftking

Wheel size expert
Sooo, nice = dick?

And this is the problem with the world today.
Do you know the name of your local butcher? I bet not.
It's called having a sense of community, and it's what is missing in the world today.
There is a big difference between being over familiar and fake, to being honestly interested in establishing a good rapport with people that ARE part of a community and culture that you are also a part of.

It's this whole 'Do what I want just cause I'm throwing the dollars down' attitude that is causing the divide between service and business.
I don't want a robot behind the counter, I want a human that I can possibly have a laugh with while I get my business done.

This guy nails it.
jimi-hendrix-quote.jpg

Online V LBS

My way of thinking is that I buy most of my expensive gear online, if I can fit it myself. I do most of my own servicing but get out of my depth when it comes to pulling forks and shocks apart so when it comes to servicing them - straight to the bike shop. My LBS is great to deal with and don't have any issues fitting or servicing what I've bought online. I've discussed this issue with them and they are happy to do this with no issues. I know a couple of other businesses that have gone broke blaming the internet for their downfall. These stores refused to assist with anything bought online so I guess that speaks for itself. I make a point of buying smaller stuff from the bike shop, sure it costs a little extra but I like to support my LBS where I can so that they are still open on that Saturday morning when you need to grab that part or whatever it is I need to get me going that day.

Mafra

Likes Bikes
Online vs LBS

I buy most of my stuff online, simple economics.

I generally fit most of my stuff myself, especially on my road and CX bikes - things like messing with suspension make me nervous.
But, if i find myself out of my depth, or I'm short on time, I know that my LBS will help me out and hand me a bill.

I wander over not infrequently at lunch time to chat about business, riding, racing and to see how he's going.

When it comes time for new set of wheels for the commuter or to install a headset or pressfit BB, I hand over a chunk of money and the work is done, usually with an explination of necessary maintance and what I should consider doing differently next time.

People who work in any form of retail respond like anyone does - treat them like people and you will be treated the same way.
There's always jerks in all areas of life, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

Brasco_Designs

Likes Dirt
Sooo, nice = dick?
Actually no, dick = dick and nice is nice. Not sure where you got this from? As I clearly stated don't be a dick to your friends. You make some good points but there is a difference between what you are describing and what it would seem the majority of people here feel they get from a LBS. I never mentioned the entitled attitude of do what ever I want because I am giving you money, you can get down to business while being friendly and open, but at its core it is a business transaction and its a really simple one. Having a rapport with someone is not the same as being a mate.

My issue and it seems a lot of other people have the same one, is I am the one smiling and wanting to have a laugh but that is not reciprocated by sales staff. I am friendly and courteous to everyone I meet, so why do I get attitude from wanting to get a service performed for a price? I have never expected work completed on the same day, I have never expected it to be done for free, I have never expected a shop fitting the item to provide warranty and I am sure that most here haven't either. If I received good service from the start I may be more inclined to frequent the LBS and maybe build a rapport with them, as it is its simply not worth the hassle when I get better service elsewhere from someone who returns calls, is appreciative of my business and provides a decent product.

MARKL

Eats Squid
:focus:

I think we overcomplicated this, the question is about etiquette...and the answer is simple...

Ask in a polite way and you will get a response yes/no...if you get attitude that is an issue with the LBS's etiquette and why they won't be yours or anyone else's LBS in the future.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
my local butchers name is Chris and he's old mans name is Les :)
I have a few lbs that I use as I like to share the business around
but when one of them fucks me around I just simply go to another,
on the hole brought online get lbs to fit debate, I do it , but im upfront about it , yes they may charge me a bit more but im down with that, as they have done other jobs that are way cheaper than what it would normally cost