Lets push for an official track in Wollongong

Wynner

Likes Bikes
Next month we have an election in Wollongong for a new council.
It is about time we started to put mountain biking on the agenda for the candidates.
We have some of the best riders in the state and country in our area both cross country and downhill.
It is unbelievable with that big green hill to the west that we don't have anywhere official to ride.
At the moment we need to go to the Central Coast for any competition.

The link below is all the candidates for the upcoming election. Let’s get on their case and let them know that there are a lot of mountain bikers who would like to see an official managed track in Wollongong.

http://www.elections.nsw.gov.au/elections/wollongong_city_council_3_september_2011/candidates

Ring them, email them and write to them.

With the recent announcements in the area we need do all we can to support and attract people to the area.

If enough of us speak up they will take notice. They will have to.

Maybe I am dreaming, but it is better than sitting around wondering!

AndrewAnthony

Cannon Fodder
Hi,

My name is Andrew Anthony and I am standing for Lord Mayor and for a Councillor in Ward 2 (group D)

I'm a keen cyclists and a founding member of the Illawarra Bicycle User Group (ibug)

I am very supportive of the idea of having a formal mountain bike track in Wollongong. If I get elected to Council I would be happy to meet with mountain bikers to discuss possible sites.

Please feel free to respond to this post if you have any questions or suggestions.

JT252

Likes Dirt
Hi,

My name is Andrew Anthony and I am standing for Lord Mayor and for a Councillor in Ward 2 (group D)

I'm a keen cyclists and a founding member of the Illawarra Bicycle User Group (ibug)

I am very supportive of the idea of having a formal mountain bike track in Wollongong. If I get elected to Council I would be happy to meet with mountain bikers to discuss possible sites.

Please feel free to respond to this post if you have any questions or suggestions.
need more people like this in government.

Red.

Likes Dirt
Old mate AA sent this to me
Jacob,

I was chair of the council’s bicycle committee in the past. I am strong supporter of cycling and mountain bike riding and if elected I am happy to sit down with mountain bikers to see what we can do. You might already have suggestions of suitable places the council can consider.

I am also forwarding your email on to Werner Steyer from the Illawarra Bicycle User Group (ibug). You are welcome to come to the next ibug meeting and discuss your ideas.

Andrew

And vickie seems fair boss..
Hi Jacob,

Many thanks for your email.

I would LOVE to meet with you to run something on this with you.

My eldest son was a Mountain Bike Rider and went to the All schools carnival in Thredbo. My youngest is into Trail bikes and is VERY good BUT was restricted because of lack of facilities and training areas.

Both my kids have had National Parks fines and are well known by Ranger Jody!!

Also well known to the Police in regard to the trail bikes.

I was an environmental educator and fight to protect the Escarpment BUT see the benefit of utilising some sections of the escarpment for Mountain bikes and trail bikes and would love to see National Mountain Bike Championships here in the Illawarra.

I would very much like to meet with you to discuss.

Kindest regards and congratulations on your sporting achievements

Vicki Curran
0415 918 282

Last edited:

Wynner

Likes Bikes
Feedback

Thanks for the feedback.

If you get any feedback positive or negative let us know.

It would be good to know where the other councilors stand.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Might be worth understanding which bits of land Council are actually responsible for, vs. private land owners vs. NPWS managed lands.

All good to have councils and budding Mayor on board, however, my understanding is that the prime DH real estate is either on Mining land, or NPWS Regional Park(s). Confirming land ownership will focus where appropriate engagement should be directed, with Council's help.

It might also be worth noting for Vicki's benefit, that she can continue to fight for the protection of the Escarpment, by allowing MTB access, as regularly organised trail care days using volunteer labour, working on sustainably designed and constructed trails, following International Mountain Bike Association guidelines can lead to a reversal of environmental, biological and man made impacts to the natural bushland environments we pass through.

ie, Bush rehabilitation is one of the major benefits for formalising the Menai Trails; Sustainable reconstruction using IMBA guidelines is one of the major benefits of the proposed new DH alignment in Knapsack Reserve; Formalisation of trail access is one reason for the new pilot program to open up Bantry Bay in the Northern Beaches of Sydney; Trail rationalisation and sustainable trail construction is one of the benefits produced by the works at Glenrock; Volunteer Engagement and reconnection with Bushland environments is one of the primary drivers for BMORC and Glenbrook National Park Rangers working together as part of planned upgrades to the Oaks Trail. Educational benefits are one of the reasons that BMORC and Yellowmundee Regional Park Rangers are working well together.

Allowing Mountain Bike Access and protecting the Natural Bushland Environments that we love are not in conflict and instead could be the passing of the conservation baton to the next generation of Conservationists ... even if we enjoy seeing things a little faster whilst on two wheels.

I'm happy to get involved, PM me details of who is organising things ... I suggest you need local club support and several dedicated local residents/riders in it for the long haul (think years not months)

Al

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
interesting timing on this one...
I'm moving back home to the gong (from 2 years in vancouver) in a week and was told I had to vote for a bunch of people i dont know. I can say I know Andrew from my Figtree high school days and many times riding dh with his brother "back in the day". But as senor Nerf pointed out, the escarpment doesnt count squat to the local council for the most part. Having someone on our side in local council may help (and i no way endorse any candidate) but I think that its time we did something for ourselves. Al, I might be shooting you a pm sometime soon.

2nd thought. Wollongong needs a council funded pumptrack. I propose Keira Oval (behind Edmund Rice) because it has lots of space, good facilities, central location and is across the road from my house (most importantly).

Wynner

Likes Bikes
I know the escarpment isn't owned by the council but if anything is to happen it will need to be endosed by the council.

Even if we get a negative reponse or no response from the members it will at least make them know that there are people out there that see this as something they want.

So if they are voted in and it comes up at council they may think back to the emails and calls that they have had.

Yeh the council is only one step. Then we can start to work on others.

It is going to be a process.

Maybe the Wollongong mountain biking club could actually be the Wollongong mountain biking club!

Don't forget to hassle those up that are running in Shellharbour as well.

Live the dream!!

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I know the escarpment isn't owned by the council but if anything is to happen it will need to be endosed by the council.
Don't get me wrong ... Your on the right track :) ... needs to be a partnership between all stakeholders, including potential land managers (Council, NPWS) and Land owners (Miners, etc ), Local Clubs, Peak MTB bodies such as IMBA, NSWMTB and more importantly Riders and Residents.

As important as the political side of Council is, I'd start with Council Staff and NPWS ... they are the ones that are on the ground, and if you don't have their full support, then things are harder. However, it is also important we as advocates have a structure in place (even loosely built) before we go engaging various stakeholders and people of influence.

Hope this makes sense ... If your putting your hand up Wynner ... then thats a good start.

Welcome back Reubs ... is this a permanent return or a seasonal thing again :) ... Maybe its about time we have another "swap meeting" / park chat with wiffle ... hopefully more then 3 of us (+1 Melbourne Visitor :single_eye:) this year :)

*note: I'll be down there on Wednesday and could meet up around lunch ish for a quick chat.

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
interesting timing on this one...

2nd thought. Wollongong needs a council funded pumptrack. I propose Keira Oval (behind Edmund Rice) because it has lots of space, good facilities, central location and is across the road from my house (most importantly).
Agree with your second thought Reubs, but I think it should be in Bulli at the park adjacent to the speed camera on Princes H'way (across from Bulli bowlo). It's nice and open so little vandalism/mischief potential, has no adjoining residences, close to train station for transport, and most importantly, it's close to my place. :biggrin: Keen to catch up when you get back.

Wynner

Likes Bikes
A couple of responses

Dear Craig,

Thank you for your email, having a mountain bike track on the escarpment would be a great idea.

As you noted there are a variety of aspects that the new Councillors would need to consider, such as the environmental impacts of the track, as well as liability, access (emergency access and parking for users), maintenance costs and land ownership (public land or private property?).

I am interested in attending a public meeting on this to gauge the issues with all the stakeholders. Have you had any meetings with stakeholders and with the broader community, and if so do you have any information or weblinks I can look at to look into this a bit more? I would appreciate any information you could provide me with. Hopefully some good results can be produced by working together.

Sincerely,
Rob Carr

G'day Craig

Just wondering what is your involvement in this issue? Are you a member of a club or organisation?

I can't comment unilaterally for Community Voice, but I will certainly forward this to our Steering Committee for comment.

What I can tell you, is that from my contact with residents in Berkeley and Koonawarra (where I live) - this is a huge issue. We need more facilities like this for all the reasons you mention. Use of the escarpment is controversial - however I personally believe in using our natural resources for recreation provided any associated problems can be solved. I personally would have liked to have seen the Tallawarra lands (earmarked for housing) reserved for purposes like this.

It certainly seems consistent with our platform: http://wollongongcommunityvoice.org/our-platform/

So it has my support. I'm wondering what your opinions about facilities for trail bike riding are. Current Council are very negative, but I am aware that it something that the youth of our area value.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Ken Davis

If you get any others let us know

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
Hey Wynner,

Great that you have started asking these questions; the ball is beginning to roll, but as others have said its a slow process. Like Reubs I'm happy to help out with information/discussions/etc, so feel free to contact me if there's anything you think I might be able to do. Having council on-side would be a huge help in liaising with landholders. Keep us posted on any updates!

PS Still think we should push for a pump track as well; quick to build, relatively cheap, and on council land.

cjm102

Likes Dirt
Hi guys,

Looks like it will be a long process and alot of commitment from a few to make this happen. It's fantastic to see people getting involved with the idea and start ball rolling, if the riders of Wollongong prevail to achieve a useable area, I can forsee the benifits to the community will be widespread.

I have just spent weekend writing a letter of objection, involving a fine I have recieved from a partucular authority, this has given me motorvation to assist with the leaglisation of tracks in The Wollongong area.

I lived in Brisbane for over two years and I enjoyed the benifits of having areas to ride like Gap Creek Reserve and other parts of Mt Coot-tha Forest, which is managed by Brisbane City Council. The Gap Gap Creek Trails Alliance, was formed in June 2001 to work with land managers to provide legitimate access for mountain bike riders. Daisy Hill Conservation Park was also another area I used, where they constantly upgrade and re-rout trails within the forest to make them environmentally sustainable, yet also challenging for the riders.

It's not only the current riders in the area who will reap the benifits of having substantial and sustaninable riding areas, but looking into the future generation and encouraging people to ride within legal areas without having to trespass.

Chris

Wynner

Likes Bikes
Hi Craig,

I would absolutely LOVE to work on this with you.

My son was into Mountain bike riding and went to the All Schools Carnival in Thredbo a couple of years back. He stopped riding because it was TOO difficult and RISKY (was fined by NPWS).

My other son rides trail bikes….and has also been fined. Was interesting though when I challenged his fine and called on the NPWS to send through all the certificates of Titles for the escarpment land that is owned and controlled by them because they couldn’t and Im still waiting.

I have since done my own conveyance checks on a lot of the escarpment lands and find it incredible interesting that much of the Illawarra escarpment was Unknown holder in 1998 and Rod Oxley and Co seem to have allowed this land to go into private ownership after the Commission of Inquiry when it was recommended that Council secure more escarpment land. I will be calling on a review of all Escarpment land ownership if I get elected to Council.

I don’t want residential development on the escarpment especially land that should have been secured by Council and not allowed to be obtained by a process of incompetence (to be kind) and insider knowledge. I see sporting use like what you have suggested and Sport Shooting, hunting, camp sites and a Cable Car up Mt Keira as having many bonuses including the financial capability to protect and rehabilitate the escarpment; develop and maintain wonderful walking treks give community greater access and personal commitment to its protection.

I would very much like to meet with you regarding this….whether Im elected or not.

Kindest regards,

Vicki Curran – 0415 918 282

Hi Craig, I’m a keen cyclist and my younger brother use to ride in downhill events. If I get elected I am happy to meet up with people to discuss any possible sites that might be suitable. The first thing I want to do is get the Council’s Bicycle Taskforce back up and running, as it was disbanded by the administrators, then we can invite people along to one of the meetings. I guess the main concerns are liability if someone has an accident and people need to be responsible for maintaining the tracks.

Andrew Anthony

Hello,

Your issue is very relevant and most likely could be a generator of employment and tourism.
This is one of the ideas that can be brought up when I get elected to Council.
As long as the location of the mountain bike facility does not encrouch or have an effect on the Illawarra escarpment, I am more than happy to take up the issue.
I guess I do not want to overstep the relevance of next weekend, so I can assure you I would gladly look at this issue, along with the many others I have been given, after the Election.
Thank you for bringing it to my attention, I hope I can look forward to working with you on the revitalisation of this City.

Kindest regards,

Len Fares.

Good Morning Craig

For one who walks through the bushland near Mt Keira I am appreciative of the work mountain bike riders have done in keeping tracks open. I have had a letter published in the Mercury praising the effort of the youth in the mountain bike sport for their effort and the commitment.
However I am concerned that some bikers are not showing respect to the tracks by riding on them when wet or are creating tracks which can lead to erosion.
For the future I feel we need to manage the escarpment which includes creating fire trails and managed mountain bike trails.
I have proposed to others part of the planning criteria should include planned recreational use that is managed and authorised to not cause uncontrolled damage to the environment. Mountain biking should fit into this criteria.
I do also see the opportunity to introduce localised mountain bike “development opportunities” in detention basins and the like, for the younger generation to enjoy and learn, both skills, and respect for environment, before releasing them to the escarpment. For this I would like to have input from organisations like your own.
Should I be elected I will be interested in talking with all interested groups in the future planning and development of the escarpment. I have given a similar commitment to the protection of the Illawarra escarpment group and local forum group 5.

Hope to meet.

Ian Young

I definitely believe in defined regulated tracks through those areas, and a commitment from the general group of riders too, to reprimand and stop anyone that deviates to carve up the bushland on each side

cheers
Natasha Watson
Greens Candidate Ward 1

Has anyone else had anyfeedback or has anybody else been bothered to contact councilers?

Wynner

Likes Bikes
Hi guys,

Looks like it will be a long process and alot of commitment from a few to make this happen. It's fantastic to see people getting involved with the idea and start ball rolling, if the riders of Wollongong prevail to achieve a useable area, I can forsee the benifits to the community will be widespread.

Chris
I agree that if this is going to happen it will need a lot of people to get involved. We will need the local club on board, the MTBA, local bike shops, dedicated riders, etc.
It is only going to happen with a huge effort and a long term effort from everyone. What often happens in a situation like this is a few people do all the work and get fed up and walk away.

I am sure there will be plenty of people at the track wanting to use it the first day it opens!

I think if it is going to succeed it will need a dedicated committee from the groups above who will work together to see it happen.