Lights for night riding

I'n looking at getting into riding at night, and have done some reading of various articles reviewing different lights, but its hard to tell how many lumens is entirely necessary? If anyone has any suggestions on setups/different lights/any other tips then that would be much appreciated. I was thinking the Gemini lights look like a great option but something similar for less money would be ideal

moorey

call me Mia
$20 solarstorm off EBay. Get 2 sets for a backup battery.
The cheapest ones only come with bar mount. For a couple of dollars more, some have a mount you can attach to helmet. I attached a GoPro mount to mine these days.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I'd recommend two lights (head and bar) for night single track.

I generally run 400 lumen small light on helm and a 800 lumen on the bar.

$20 solarstorm off EBay. Get 2 sets for a backup battery.
The cheapest ones only come with bar mount. For a couple of dollars more, some have a mount you can attach to helmet. I attached a GoPro mount to mine these days.
What's the run time on the solarstorm like?

Minlak

custom titis
I have a whole box probably 5 lights and associated batteries off Ebay "Cheapie" lights including solar storms you can have for $60 including freight. They all worked last time I used them. Bought expensive lights and don't use these anymore more.

John U

MTB Precision
I went all out with my light purchase and got lupine. Possibly not justified but they have never let me down commuting in all types of shit weather when others have.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
BAtteries have been hit and miss for me. I've purchased decent batteries from Ebay (sorry, don't have the links and it was ages ago) as well as those plastic smart battery packs that are waterprrof. Never had any probs with them paired with the cheap lights and they also double up as chargers for anything with a USB port.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
BAtteries have been hit and miss for me. I've purchased decent batteries from Ebay (sorry, don't have the links and it was ages ago) as well as those plastic smart battery packs that are waterprrof. Never had any probs with them paired with the cheap lights and they also double up as chargers for anything with a USB port.
I'm with Johnny. It seems to be easier just to buy a holder and then buy 4 decent 18650 batteries than buy a complete decent battery
https://www.ebay.com.au/i/331754684835?chn=ps

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Ive run the ebay solarstorm x2 (xml2 version) on the bars and a small quality single cell 18650 single xml2 emitter flashlight cable tied to my helmet for the last 2 years.

I bought 3-4 extra battery packs off ebay for the solarstorm (4x18650 cell packs). They are junk really but do the job and a cheap as chips. 1 battery pack failed, and the others deff dont have the capacity that they used to id say around 1-2hrs run time sticking mostly on Low. More like 1hr now tho with the old battery packs.

My helmet light was always my ‘main’ light and i always carried a couple panasonic 18650 cells in the camelbak so i was good for hours of riding, longer the ride the more cells id bring. (Bout 2hrs per cell run time).

Ive just gone all out, and bought an Exposure MaxxD and Diablo (at prices i simply couldnt say no too).

These lights are simply better then i could have ever imagined, the initial motivation came about as i was getting annoyed with the battery packs on my hadlebar lights and going to a 35mm stem meant id lost the one place i was happy strapping the battery packs (under the stem).

The MaxxD run times are more then adequate and the output is borderline rediculous. But the real game changer is the beam pattern. I really had no idea what i was missing but now there is no going back. The Diablo beam is perfectly matched to the MaxxD right across all the modes and there is no hostpot or artifacts in the beams just a huge wall if light everywhere, its daylight at night now!

The only thing that really does annoy me a bit is that i cannot change the cells, sure Exposure make battery packs you can plug into the lights to increase the run times (not an issue with the MaxxD but the Diablo really is only good for 1-2 hours max mtb riding without a extra battery pack, maybe 3hrs depending on the trails ridden) But if they had just intergrated a tall cap into the light body so you could just carry spare 18650 cells as i did with my other helmet light it would have easily become the best helmet light out there! I wasnt going to buy the Diablo at first until it came up at a great price too, but im so glad i did now given how flawlessly the beams work together.

Travis.

Minlak

custom titis
Ive just gone all out, and bought an Exposure MaxxD and Diablo (at prices i simply couldnt say no too).

These lights are simply better then i could have ever imagined, the initial motivation came about as i was getting annoyed with the battery packs on my hadlebar lights and going to a 35mm stem meant id lost the one place i was happy strapping the battery packs (under the stem).

The MaxxD run times are more then adequate and the output is borderline rediculous. But the real game changer is the beam pattern. I really had no idea what i was missing but now there is no going back. The Diablo beam is perfectly matched to the MaxxD right across all the modes and there is no hostpot or artifacts in the beams just a huge wall if light everywhere, its daylight at night now!

The only thing that really does annoy me a bit is that i cannot change the cells, sure Exposure make battery packs you can plug into the lights to increase the run times (not an issue with the MaxxD but the Diablo really is only good for 1-2 hours max mtb riding without a extra battery pack, maybe 3hrs depending on the trails ridden) But if they had just intergrated a tall cap into the light body so you could just carry spare 18650 cells as i did with my other helmet light it would have easily become the best helmet light out there! I wasnt going to buy the Diablo at first until it came up at a great price too, but im so glad i did now given how flawlessly the beams work together.

Travis.
This is the same combination I run. The MaxxD I am using for road loops on the moment on the 4th power setting in low and get 12hrs battery life. only have to charge once a week. On the trails I use the 4th power setting on high and medium and get 4+ hours of riding. I love them.
The Diablo is light enough (lol get it as in not heavy but also shiny) for the job but really only good for 2hrs on my helmet. The MaxxD would eb way to heavy to have on your head as well.

I got these as I hated having the battery packs seprate to the light. The MaxxD also has a cool bayonet fitting to clip on and off the bars.

The next most popular light up here is the Ayups.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
the cleanskins are great value - i have the azur version [it just $30 more for the same product] i get about 2.5hrs from runnin on high

PS i think aldi sold the solarstorm last year as re-branded -they actually are fairly good -i got a few on discount for $16.99, bargain

Last edited:

teK--

Eats Squid
I'd recommend two lights (head and bar) for night single track.

I generally run 400 lumen small light on helm and a 800 lumen on the bar.
This . You need 2 lights for effective peripheral vision and also to see where you are looking.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I'd also like to add that the general rule is 1 lumen in a branded product is equal to two Chinese lumens. Same rule applies to batteries.

teK--

Eats Squid
I'd also like to add that the general rule is 1 lumen in a branded product is equal to two Chinese lumens. Same rule applies to batteries.
Just a different grading system (I'm not sure if there is an industry standard?). The cheap stuff usually uses the lumen rating of the LED chip, but the quality gear rates actual lumens output after considering all the usual efficiency losses