LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

moorey

call me Mia
i do sugest buying the cheapest option on ebay for now, and start saving for some serious lights once you get into night riding

ie AY-UPS !!!! you cant beat them on quality, yes...very dear, but worth ever single dollar.
My mates AY-UPS went flat less than 2 hours into our ride the other day...mine kept on going...just sayin is all...

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
i do sugest buying the cheapest option on ebay for now, and start saving for some serious lights once you get into night riding

ie AY-UPS !!!! you cant beat them on quality, yes...very dear, but worth ever single dollar.
problem is, if you start with the cheap p7 lights, you will start to judge lights based on the light they give out, especially if you run a helmet and bar light. From that point ay-up s will be like a commuter light - true the form factor is great, but there's no way i could go back to the ayup level of light

bmar560

Likes Dirt
i have 2 sets i use

i originally purchased the nightlight 1400 and this is a fantastic light. the wide beam is very good and i mount on the front bar and i am very happy with them (although exspensive).

after a few rides i found i wanted a helmet mount light so i could be more specific on what i want to see specially over jumps ect as you are limited with straight line of sight on a bar mount so i got a cheap one from ebay (similar to below)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Waterpro...Sport_Cycling_Accessories&hash=item3a689bbe07

now as much as i like the night lights i feel the ebay one is actually a very good light and cost $50. they had the exact same batteries ect and ride time was almost identical. i get approx 3 hours on full beams and more than ill ride in a night on medium which is still very good light.

so my view is get a cheap one from ebay. it will give you crap loads of light and if you want more and get more serious than spend some money in aus and get a night light set. at least with 2 sets if one fails or breaks you dont have a long walk out in th dark :)

hope that helps
Is that a rebranded magicshine ? looks very similar

John U

MTB Precision
I highly doubt that the handlebar mounted torch would stay in place if you hit some rough stuff at speed, especially with the batteries and alloy case hanging off the back of it. It would be good torch but no good for riding application.
Go for the bike specific option with the separate battery. It will be much better for riding off road.

scotty thommo

Likes Dirt
i have been doing some night riding on single track mainly..

and my $10 lights just aren't doing the job.

help me choose something out of these items, or recommend something rechargeable for around $50-70$

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1600-CRE...Sport_Cycling_Accessories&hash=item45fc6ad456

this one has zoom for flooding and rechargeable.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1800-Lum...Sport_Cycling_Accessories&hash=item1e6b45188f

this one is a bit brighter but annoying to have installed all the time
get the bottom 1 i have owned/used that exact one and a coupple of other cheap things that are pretty much the same and they all have worked perfectly fine
the only down side is there mounts i broke a few of the rubber rings in the end i just got a reflector mount took the reflector off and screwed the light in and its rock solid

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
My mates AY-UPS went flat less than 2 hours into our ride the other day...mine kept on going...just sayin is all...

so he hadnt charged the battery....bit obvious....

have used ayups for five years now and never had a problem with them....totally recommend them....

dontfeelcold

Likes Dirt
Another advocate for the AYUPs.

Moorey, we don't know how your friend treated their batteries. Regardless of brands, you have to look after batteries if you want them to last a long time.

If you know in detail how he stored the batteries that would be helpful so other owners of AYUPS don't have the same problem. :)

moorey

call me Mia
Another advocate for the AYUPs.

Moorey, we don't know how your friend treated their batteries. Regardless of brands, you have to look after batteries if you want them to last a long time.

If you know in detail how he stored the batteries that would be helpful so other owners of AYUPS don't have the same problem. :)
Got no problem with AYUPs... Wish I had a set.....just amused by previous posters assertion that that never do or never could fail.
Good products occasionally let people down. Just sayin is all ;-)

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I think it's important to point out that for commuting, there is such thing as 'too bright' and I think the 1800-odd lumen Deal Extreme bargains fall here. As rad as they are, you don't want to get into an altercation with an aggressive motorist.

workmx

Banned
Ay-up and nightlights = good

I currently use:
- Ay-up spot, helmet mounted;
- "900 lumen" Nightlight flood, bar mounted;
- Fibre Flare, frame mounted; and
- 2 (two) 1 watt rear lights.

Never have problems with people seeing me or seeing where I am going, except at dusk (seems to be the time that Canberra drivers at least attentive).

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lights for riding trails at night.

Ok i thought i would start by saying that i did a search for "riding lights" and all of the results were a least 2 years old, so thats why i am starting a new thread.

Looking to buy some lights for riding trails over winter, mainly Lysterfield as it is literally 2 minutes from my house.

I went out with a friend who had some cree lights. 1000lumens on the bars and 1600lumens zip tied to my helmet a bit ghetto i know but i found it to be quite effective and cast an incredible amount of light with adjustable flood control.

These are the ones that he lent me:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/270965670009?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/270946223456?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I was thinking of mounting 2 x 1000lumen lights to my bars on either side of the stem and the 1600lumen one zip tied to my helmet.

I did a bit of research adn found magiclight offer some sweet lights that mount to the handlebars but they are a fair bit more expensive.

I am curious to know what everbody else is using and if anybody has any suggestions?

I guess my budget would be about $150 max

Cheers

redbruce

Eats Squid
Ok i thought i would start by saying that i did a search for "riding lights" and all of the results were a least 2 years old, so thats why i am starting a new thread.

Looking to buy some lights for riding trails over winter, mainly Lysterfield as it is literally 2 minutes from my house.

I went out with a friend who had some cree lights. 1000lumens on the bars and 1600lumens zip tied to my helmet a bit ghetto i know but i found it to be quite effective and cast an incredible amount of light with adjustable flood control.

These are the ones that he lent me:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/270965670009?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/270946223456?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I was thinking of mounting 2 x 1000lumen lights to my bars on either side of the stem and the 1600lumen one zip tied to my helmet.

I did a bit of research adn found magiclight offer some sweet lights that mount to the handlebars but they are a fair bit more expensive.

I am curious to know what everbody else is using and if anybody has any suggestions?

I guess my budget would be about $150 max

Cheers
Forget those torches.

On the value for money side, many have found a Magicshine MJ 808 on the bars and one on the helmet good (son and I have had a couple of years out of ours).

You do get what you pay for and charger, waterproofness and battery quality are obvious compromises but they give good useable light. Start with them (pair will set you back $155 from DealExtreme) and if keen upgrade down the track (I have just upgraded my helmet light to Gloworm X2).

Cheaper than that and even more compromises (and risk).

Oh and none of the cheapies deliver the lumens quoted, roughly 0.5 - 0.7 is the factor to apply. Eg Magicshine's 900 lumens is more like 600 in reality.

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
What about something like these: http://www.nitelights.co.nz/adventure-lights-nz-products/destroyer-1200-lumen-bike-light ?
Comes with all the mounts, charger, extension cables.....
I know at work we're selling them at just under $200 though so it depends on your budget
ummm, nitelights are great, but they are the exact same unit as magicshine (the pic is of the latest version) - when they are on special, they are only a few $'s more than the magicshine, but agree with the poster above, the magicshines are worth the premium over the others - although having said that, in a moment of weakness I jjust ordered the sub $40 ebay one - i figure i'll give it a go on the helmet - 2 magicshines on the front PLUS helmet ebay in the xml version.

If nothing else, it should embarrass those with ayups. ;)

McRae200008

Likes Bikes
Reply!

Mate one of the best lights I have found for the cheapest price Is the Moon or Serfas bike light powered by 500 lumen LED's priced for around $139.95 they are super bright for night time riding and come with a helmet mount and a bar mount. If you riding through the bush at night you will definitely want a helmet mount so that you can see in whatever direction that you look rather than a bar mount that points directly at the ground. Hope this helps. (I work at a bike shop in AUS)