LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

ChopSticks

Banned
Hey Camzh... your comment of the wide angle lense taking forever had me worried !!
but its was only 9 days from ordering (pretty darn quick for something coming from the states)

lights were on high, as you can see its got a much nicer spread and broken up that hotspot.
teaming up with a spot on the helmet is perfect !!! Super happy for a $7.50 part !
Spot Lens:

Flood Lens:

redbruce

Eats Squid
3hrs on high and first green led went out.....10min later and dead.

Mine don't seem to have much consistency....
Sounds like heat impacting the led performance DMan.

It might be worth crAcking the lights open and checking if there is enough thermal paste.
Early Magicshine 808's used to do this also (only on high setting).

Although it also had thermal issues (not enough paste) the problem only improved marginally with addressing that. The real issue was an underspec resistor.

Even with that addressed in a later production run some later units had a similar problem due to a dry solder joint.

The resistor was a pain to replace so I only use that on low for commuting. The other one I redid solder and fixed it.

Last edited:

bastumannen

Cannon Fodder
4.2v Solarstorm X2

Very useful information in this forum, thanks guys!
I bought a SolarstormX2 last week, from an ebay seller in Sydney ($37 & free delivery), it arrived nice and quick a couple of days later, but to my surprise it had a USB charger, and the batteries are only 4.2v (all 4 cells in parallel). Does this mean that the light unit is a different version to the normal 8.4v versions that most people here seem to have? Or is the input in these things able to handle both 4.2 and 8.4 batteries (as the LEDs usually only need 3-4v anyway)? I have not dared to connect my 8.4v Magicshine pack to test, for fear of blowing up the head unit.
I've also been a little unimpressed by the light output of my SolarstormX2. With a full battery it seems to be roughly on par with my two year old Magicshine 808 (claimed 900 lumens) with standard batteries. My new SolarstormX2 also seems to drop significantly in brightness throughout the battery cycle, as opposed to the Magicshine 808. One thing that did impress was that it runs for almost four hours on "high setting" with all three green indicator lights on, then about 10 minutes more on two LEDs, then the last one starts flashing. But after about 3 hours the light output is noticeably dimmer than at the start, so it's not that impressive really. The light also runs gradually cooler as the voltage drops, from full battery when it's fairly warm to touch (although no where near as hot as the Magicshine 808), to lukewarm after about three hours.
Another difference is that the button on the back, seems to have a different programming. It runs the following sequence: Low, Medium - High - Fast flickering (on high, and very annoying) - Off. There is no hidden flash mode by pressing the button for longer, so you always have to go past the annoying and useless flash mode.

Any thoughts on this version of the X2? Has anyone else come across this? Should I test the 8.4v battery and see if it works (potential Blowup of LED's or circuitry)?

Should I just move on and read the item description details a bit more carefully next time and buy a 8.4v version and count my losses on this one, of is it simply a matter of connecting an 8.4v battery to get the brightness that most people seem to get from their X2s?

Last edited:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Don't connect your 8.4V battery. If the light get's noticeably dimmer as the battery runs down, then the leds may be in 'direct drive' off the 4.2V pack. If this is the case then the version you have sounds a bit on the crap side. This is the real problem with these Chinese lights is that you never quite know what you are going to get, and what the light is called or looks like is often not that great a guide.

bastumannen

Cannon Fodder
Yeah, it's always a gamble buying these cheap lights, but @ $37 you can afford a couple of sidesteps :)
I don't want to have to gamble much more though, as some other offerings from other outlets are not too much dearer, and come with guarantees and better batteries etc...
Might be better off getting some "semi name" stuff, like the Xeccon or so... Also, the 1200lm self contained lights from Lezyne or Lights and Motion for around $200 seem pretty good too...

Any thoughts?

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I'm very tempted by the xeccon light or others that Mtbrevolution have. The prices are good and you'll get better battery packs/chargers from what I've seen browsing the site. In saying that I'm happy with the solarstorm but mine runs on 8.4V not 4.2......

redbruce

Eats Squid
Very useful information in this forum, thanks guys!
I bought a SolarstormX2 last week, from an ebay seller in Sydney ($37 & free delivery), it arrived nice and quick a couple of days later, but to my surprise it had a USB charger, and the batteries are only 4.2v (all 4 cells in parallel). Does this mean that the light unit is a different version to the normal 8.4v versions that most people here seem to have? Or is the input in these things able to handle both 4.2 and 8.4 batteries (as the LEDs usually only need 3-4v anyway)? I have not dared to connect my 8.4v Magicshine pack to test, for fear of blowing up the head unit.
I've also been a little unimpressed by the light output of my SolarstormX2. With a full battery it seems to be roughly on par with my two year old Magicshine 808 (claimed 900 lumens).

Any thoughts on this version of the X2? Has anyone else come across this? Should I test the 8.4v battery and see if it works (potential Blowup of LED's or circuitry)?

Should I just move on and read the item description details a bit more carefully next time and buy a 8.4v version and count my losses on this one, of is it simply a matter of connecting an 8.4v battery to get the brightness that most people seem to get from their X2s?
Yes it is different (lower spec). You cant use your 8.4V batteries with it.

It will also be lower output as a consequence (unlikely they will run twice the current to produce same power).

Your "900Lm" 808 actually produces more like 600Lm.

Move on and check specs on prospective purchases Caveat emptor

si618

Likes Dirt
Currently testing my solarstorms after a couple of battery charges.
Same here. Used in mostly flashing mode for 45 minute commute home, after a full charge/discharge cycle I went all week with 3 bars until I got home on Friday night and it was 1 bar at the end of the trip. Drained it on the ride to work this morning in about 20 minutes. Didn't see any flashing to indicate it was about to die, but hard to tell in daylight. Full charge ~5 hours, no heat in the battery and the charger only slightly warm to touch.

Not sure what the impact on battery life using flashing mode rather than constant a drain, but happy with 4 hours of ride time, so ordered another one as backup or helmet light if I ride off road at night.

As a fellow cyclist commented to me last week, you could go rabbit shooting with them, but the 5,000 lumen rating is a joke; I've got a couple of 50W LED flood lights hanging over our pump track which are rated 4,500 (chinese) lumens, and they pump out way more light. Compared to my older 900 lumen Torpedo 7 light I'd guess they produce ~50% more light max, so more like ~1,200-1,500 lumens.

fridgie

Likes Dirt

ChopSticks

Banned
can anyone confirm the Solarstorms DO NOT give any warning when battery is about to die?

mine just abruptly dies, no flashing, nothing apart from the 1 led indicator (which means jack)

Show me your lumens!

What are folks thoughts on these?
http://www.mountainbikesdirect.com.au/thumbi-1000-lumen-bicycle-light

I saw these advertised on Facebook the other day and showed chops.... Thinking of getting some for the wife's bike.

Sent by courier pigeon
I saw this right after I bought the el cheapo off eBay. If I had seen this first I would have bought this one.
For the extra money there is some peace of mind purchasing from an online store I trust, more chance of return if faulty, unlikely to be blatantly lying about lumens, etc...

coming with the helmet strap also makes its more convenient.

Chops, I'll try and test out the warning indicators over the weekend and let you know if there is anything noticeable.

camzh

Likes Dirt
can anyone confirm the Solarstorms DO NOT give any warning when battery is about to die?

mine just abruptly dies, no flashing, nothing apart from the 1 led indicator (which means jack)
I'm guessing there is no warning, it just shuts down.
having said this I've never run mine long enough to have them cut off...

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I saw this right after I bought the el cheapo off eBay. If I had seen this first I would have bought this one.
For the extra money there is some peace of mind purchasing from an online store I trust, more chance of return if faulty, unlikely to be blatantly lying about lumens, etc...

coming with the helmet strap also makes its more convenient.

Chops, I'll try and test out the warning indicators over the weekend and let you know if there is anything noticeable.
For a head lamp I'd look at the Xeccon spiker 1211 as well. Similar money (with shipping) and most likely a better battery and bag. Still local. Though that mtb direct one does looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Had the same issue last week (3rd or 4th usage) no warning light just cut out and no LED's illuminated either