LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Oh, and one for the fuckwits thread, it only comes with about 30% charge. I was 25km from home and battery went flat. Luckily, The missus was able to come and pick me up....
I have a personal policy, do not night ride without a spare and fully charged battery as well as a spare light.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The bottom of mine isn't flat, it's arched to fit a handlebar. Doesn't seem suitable for velcro without significant mods.
My light came with a helmet mount which is a plate that mimicks your bar. You still use the O rings to attach the light to the mount and the mount velcros around the front to back rail on your helmet.
Look around for a headband with mount that is used for bushwalking and saw out the elastic head strap for some Velcro.

http://images.diglloyd.com/articles.../HelmetMount.jpg?user=124.149.181.20,25F8A901

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I have two Solarstorm twin led lights, and one will drop the warnig lights down as the battery discharges - but the other lies to me with all 3 staying lit until it dies without warning (thankfully just on my commute home so I had street lights for the last 2kms...).

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Chops, as you can see the bottom of mine is set for bars. I didn't receive and kind of plate for mounting on flat objects. I tie two elastic bands together looping them over the tabs on the front/back of the light after passing under the helmet. It's not optimal but it works well enough to get the job done.

ChopSticks

Banned
Oooooooooo the lights didn't come with a strap?!?!
that makes sense now!!

how much would you be willing to spend?
as I said, camzh mod with a Gopro helmet mount is pretty sweet!

surely there's someone on here with a spare helmet strap/mount that came on this eBay lights??
(sorry, butchered my last one)

onlock

Likes Bikes
After seeing what others have done for helmet lights I grabbed an old head torch I had lying around. It doesnt have the round section like what you would have on your handle bars but it has a bolt going through it that the light pivots on to adjust its projection. A simple 3.5mm hole drilled through the standard solarstorm mount and wallah, I have a helmet mount. Just need to grab some decent velcro. Also tried to mount the battery pack on the rear of the helmet but its made it too heavy and uncomfortable so into the camelback it goes

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So my $15 mount from Ebay is what you are after?

That is what my light came with and they do work very well. All you are left with is a small plate that you can leave on your helmet if you like, but it is easily removed in a few seconds if you don't like it on there permanently. Just lock it on with your o-ring that you use for the bars.

Last edited:

yase

Squid
Bought $25 lights off ebay (xml-u2), 2p2s Samsung battery packs from mtbrevolution and a wide angle lens from ebay.us, lights last for more than 4 hours and are plenty bright enough on the trails.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Right now I'm actually fine with this. Easy to mount and does the trick.
Do you want one of the mounts? I have a few from the purchases of lights? Sure I can afford to get one to you? They are still attached to the headband that came with the lights. It would be easy to remove it, or you can have the headband/light as a whole piece if you want?

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bought $25 lights off ebay (xml-u2), 2p2s Samsung battery packs from mtbrevolution and a wide angle lens from ebay.us, lights last for more than 4 hours and are plenty bright enough on the trails.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Do you have a link to the lens on eBay? All my search attempts have been futile so far.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
It'll be all that purple stuff giving off its own light...... ;)

Beam shots I think are a little less useful these days compared to years gone by . I rarely run any of my lights at full power because they are just too bright and make the trail white and featureless - I much prefer to run say the solarstorms or lights like the spiker 1210 at middle setting, which gives great light, good runtime, and definition of the surface.

Hell, the other week, I had to run on a single bar light for an hour on unknown trails at group speed on the lowest setting and survived ( only just) - brought back memories of the 10w 6v cat eye days......