LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just picked up a Gemini Duo as a helmet light. Got it for $178 which included a $50 discount. I got the 4 cell version.

1st impression after a lap of Manly this morning. I previously used the $50 ebay cheapy. I wasn't happy with a few things though - namely the charger/battery did not inspire any confidence and it was quite heavy and made my helmet flop about. Also it was really 'spotty'.

The new light looks really well made and is really light (light unit is 63g) so it sits on the helmet really nicely. It perhaps was not as bright as I expected (rated at 1500 lumen) but it has a nice broad, even beam that makes a big difference. Battery life is rated at 3hrs on high with the 4 cell battery so that's pretty good. Overall really happy with the purchase.
Good deal!!! Where can I also get such a deal? :)

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a $50 voucher from 99 bikes (for spending over $500 last year). Otherwise it would have been $223. So yep a good deal!

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Finally got my replacement solarstorm battery, postage took AGES so I gave up and ordered a second(third) full set pretty much for the battery and some spares. Unpacked it last night and noticed the charger was heaps smaller, cool I thought new design, not going to blow up. No, its 4.2V, checked the battery pack - same. Looked at the lights, turned them on and they cycle through hi-med-lo-strobe1-strobe2-off and don't have the logo on top. Ripped off, after reading that some have a different voltage I read the info in the ebay add closely, sure enough should be 8.4V and the pictures show a logo. Annoyed email to supplier - see what happens. Will be asking for money back as falsely advertised, meanwhile the replacement battery shows up too.

I do not recommend this item: Skyray Solarstorm 2X cree ...

Appears I should have checked their feedback, it's pretty ordinary.

Edit: and when I plugged it in to charge... Bang, fizz, no more charging.

Last edited:

Big Chuck

Likes Dirt
Good deal!!! Where can I also get such a deal? :)
I got my Gemini Duo with a 2 cell battery from Wiggle for $170 delivered, the charger has a standard appliance IEC-C7 plug, so easy to swap. Just checked now and Wiggle aren't stocking them at the moment.

The Duo light, battery and charger are all well built items and perform great. I do find that the Duo light seems to "wash out" a little with a white haze when on my helmet, maybe it needs a different optic for helmet use as my Magicshine is okay. Possibly more of a spot would be better.

dare007

Likes Bikes
I ended up getting a Nitelights Shotfire 1100, using it on my helmet only at the moment, but can't complain about the amount of light..

[video=youtube;PbTrvb5fXX8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbTrvb5fXX8[/video]

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I wouldn't be worried about the hot spot - the vid is in tight close single track - when going fast on flowy track you need that spot to see 25m down the track.

What would make that sort of single a bit easier is just a bar light.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Actually a fairly tight spot on your head is useful.
I can't live without a diffuse beam light on my bars as well though.

If you look in the cheap lights thread in parts n stuff there's discussion on which lenses fit on those round head units

dare007

Likes Bikes
That was my first night ride as well and the light keep slipping forward a bit, on the ride I felt it gave great visibility, but yeah with a bar light it would be 100%.

One thing with a helmet only light - it really teaches you to look where you are turning..

kingie

Squid
Couldn't be happier with my Nitelights.

I have the Shadowfire mounted on the lid and the Shotfire on the bars and they provide more than enough light.

Burn times 3hr 20min on high for the 1100 lumen Shotfire and 2hr 20min for the 2000 lumen Shadowfire on high with an extra hour of burn time for each lower setting. I find that I don't need it on high so I normally get 3+ hours out of each with lots of light.

On top of that their customer service is awesome and the price is pretty good in comparison to some of the other non Chinese lights, especially with a coupon code...

Not sure if it still works but if you check out the lights try the coupon code mybikerocks for 30% off

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I have a question about riding at night and definition of the terrain.
I run Ayup lights and think they put out enough light for xc use. But I really struggle to pick the difference in the surface texture of the trail. Wet or dry, mud or hard pack all looks the same. I also find it hard to pick holes in the trail. I also struggle with timing at night. Actually I just struggle.
But is it the same for everyone? Does the trail always look the same shade of grey? Or is it just me?

John U

MTB Precision
I have a question about riding at night and definition of the terrain.
I run Ayup lights and think they put out enough light for xc use. But I really struggle to pick the difference in the surface texture of the trail. Wet or dry, mud or hard pack all looks the same. I also find it hard to pick holes in the trail. I also struggle with timing at night. Actually I just struggle.
But is it the same for everyone? Does the trail always look the same shade of grey? Or is it just me?
You only running a helmet mounted light? If so you'll lose a fair bit of trail definition because the light source is near your eyes which makes the shadows produced by the light harder to see. Thus everything looks flat.
If you have only one light try running it on your bars to trial if it makes any difference. This should make the shadows produced by the light easier to see. If so then there you have your justification to buy a bar mounted light to have the bar and helmet mounted combo which is the best option.

If you're running 2 lights try setting the helmet mounted one to a lower setting and see if this makes a difference.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Piston runs two lights, l think running two similarly power lights has a tendency to blend together and therefore create a great floodlit trail but you loose the ability to pick up the trail undulations and resulting shadows. Maybe try running the bars brighter and helmet lower and see if that helps.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Piston runs two lights, l think running two similarly power lights has a tendency to blend together and therefore create a great floodlit trail but you loose the ability to pick up the trail undulations and resulting shadows. Maybe try running the bars brighter and helmet lower and see if that helps.
My experience with the ay ups is that the narrow beam helmet light well and truly overwhelms the intermediate / all rounder bar light. That could be part of the reason. I'm still happy with the ayup narrow as a helmet light with my exposure reflex which is much more powerful.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
My experience with the ay ups is that the narrow beam helmet light well and truly overwhelms the intermediate / all rounder bar light. That could be part of the reason. I'm still happy with the ayup narrow as a helmet light with my exposure reflex which is much more powerful.
Yep. Narrow lid light does seem brighter. I guess with the helmet light being close to eye level it's really going to limit the shadows you see.
But it's not just the shadows that I have trouble with. Everything seems to be the same colour if it's wet or dry. It just makes it exciting when you arrive at a corner at speed and find it's all muddy, when it looked dry.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Everything seems to be the same colour if it's wet or dry. It just makes it exciting when you arrive at a corner at speed and find it's all muddy, when it looked dry.
I think thats the weakness of LED lights, to help get maximum perceived output from lights they use quite a cool tempreature which makes the light beam really really white, which inturn effects the ability to differentiate trail variances to the user. I have the same issues with mine, which is then magnified to the point of total white out if run at full power

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Bike lights - XC race

I think thats the weakness of LED lights, to help get maximum perceived output from lights they use quite a cool tempreature which makes the light beam really really white, which inturn effects the ability to differentiate trail variances to the user. I have the same issues with mine, which is then magnified to the point of total white out if run at full power
Glad it's not just me. So that tells me that more light isn't the answer.
Any solution?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I have one AyUp light and need something else for off road. If I run the AyUp on the bars - what would you suggest for the helmet light. Looking at exposure diabolical or gloworn lites X2. I want something light (weight) and powerful. I really like the all in one set up of the exposure lights. Happy to spend a few bucks but not go stupid
I like Ayups but they are just not powerful enough