LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
I'm waiting on my solar storm from malllights. Taking sweet arse time to get here!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Zam

Likes Dirt
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/400434279941?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

(copy/paste from eBay.. hope the above link works)

Bought from the same seller both times - One light first time around, which came with the shitty charger and dodgy ausplug adaptor, two lights second time around which came with the much better aussie charger :)
Good to know as I just bought 2 of these today from the same seller, now I just have play the waiting game till they arrive....

JP

Likes Dirt
Has anyone used a better aftermarket charger on the 1800 lumen things? The 3 I have died pretty quickly, so the lights are relegated to the spares box. If I could get a better charger they'd be sweet!

speshboy

Likes Bikes
1000 lumen torch as helmet light

Hello

I'm planning on riding around 6-6.30am and in winter time it's still bit dark. Not pitch black though. I am looking at getting a 1000 lumen torch as a helmet light. If that's not enough I'll add a bar light. The torch I'm looking at is this

http://www.ledtorchshop.com.au/thrunite-tn12.html

Does anyone use a torch as a helmet light? Ride is only about 1 hr.

Would 1000 lumen be enough around that time of day?

Thanks for any help

scblack

Leucocholic
Depends how heavy it will be. Some torches can weigh heaps.

And are you just going to tape it in place? How are you going to anchor it?

Wombatone

Likes Dirt
You can get universal chargers from ebay wich range from 20 to 160 bucks.
Also check out officeworks or simular if you need one in a hurry.
I got one that adjusts to the output required as soon as a battery is plugged in and comes with various plugs and charges all my batteries.
Was a bit expensive but you got one charger that does all and avoids having to cart around multiple chargers.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
1000 Lumen should be OK, are you riding road or really technical trails? You will have to go a bit more slowly I'd guess

speshboy

Likes Bikes
Trail riding, mixture of stuff. Some single track, fire trail, couple of rocky downhills. I know the trail fairly well so hoping that helps.

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
I used my dive torch strapped to my helmet for about a year before investing in a proper bike light. Used two shock cord loops threaded through the helmet vents. Easy to fit and worked well.

1000lm will be plenty. However I'd be more concerned about the weird batteries that thing uses. Could be expensive.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Weighs 82g without battery. Will anchor with cable ties. Is 1000 lumen enough for that time of day?
1000 lm is okay although torches arent great on helmets.

The size and shape of a torch makes it hard to get them positioned to point where you want them to and they have to sit on the top of your helmet where they catch overhead branches, etc.

Better with a proper bike light.

By the time you have also purchased a rechargeable kit you could have bought two cheapo lights discussed here:

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?277115-Latest-El-Cheapo-Lights

Last edited:

speshboy

Likes Bikes
The main reason I'm considering the torch option is that I dont ride with a pack. With a dedicated bike light I would have to strap the battery to the helmet which I don't want. I don't have a jersey pocket either. I have read thru that thread and am looking at a solarstorm x2 for the bars but the quality of the batteries supplied seems to be poor.

Zam

Likes Dirt
Has anyone used a better aftermarket charger on the 1800 lumen things? The 3 I have died pretty quickly, so the lights are relegated to the spares box. If I could get a better charger they'd be sweet!
Mate I use something like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/iMAX-B6-...Radio_Controlled_Vehicles&hash=item48587f7eb5 for my remote Control Lipo batteries, but the setting can be changed to charge anything, you will just have to solder up and charger cradle or have some way of connecting the battery to the charger but works great for charging AA and AAA size batteries so this would be no different and pretty cheap.

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
I'm the opposite, I have an original and a copy Chinese light. The performance is on par but so much cheaper I wouldn't get the original again.

Sent from my phone so I must be bored waiting in a queue somewhere.

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm the opposite, I have an original and a copy Chinese light. The performance is on par but so much cheaper I wouldn't get the original again.

Sent from my phone so I must be bored waiting in a queue somewhere.
What 'copy Chinese light' do you have (and how long have you had it?).. Thanks :smile-new:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
The main reason I'm considering the torch option is that I dont ride with a pack. With a dedicated bike light I would have to strap the battery to the helmet which I don't want. I don't have a jersey pocket either. I have read thru that thread and am looking at a solarstorm x2 for the bars but the quality of the batteries supplied seems to be poor.
I'm with you, and don't ride with a pack and prefer light shirts, not jerseys. I use a bar light, good quality Chinese ones are the go. The real cheap ones have terrible batteries, but around the 70$ and up gets pretty good.

I would recomend these guys

http://www.mtbrevolution.com

Local, test the batteries , good quality head units - has a huge following over on mtbr . I also had magic shines from torpedo 7, then replaced the battery from nitelights - their battery was and is great.

T-Rex

Template denier
They are fine, except you are paying about $60 too much.

I did the Scott 24 hour one year with two HK Cree torches each running off 18650 batteries, one on the helmet, one on the bars.