LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
The Bike Light Wars of 2014.

Shit got real.
Solarstorm arrived on Thursday, switched on, shone over the road and the Great Dane across the road started yelping and running around with his tail between his legs - oops , better turn it down a notch....

Mtbrevolution batteries fit the connector and work fine for those who might want to add a somewhat better quality battery.

Also had a look at a Gemini light last night - programmable settings, but come with an 8.4v Li ion SMART charger!

If to the interwebs to see where I can find a smart charger ( most seem to undercharge these batteries)

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Let us know what you find. I'm still on the look out for a decent battery holder with that low charge cut out mechanism - one that doesn't need to be re-attached to the charger for reset if the batteries jiggle loose.

Hope I'm as lucky as some of the others up the page and that my lights arrive soon. Apparently the trails up the road here were lit up like a Christmas tree last night with people riding them.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Vics, we should organise a night ride, preferably singletrack. People I ride with don't seem so keen on nights, I think it's great fun.
I'm happy to travel if it's a Friday or Saturday night. Mum won't let me stay out late on a school night. ;)

carpetrunner

Likes Dirt
5 year report

5 years ago, a few riders at work approached the tool room to do a run of lights.

At the time we tested a few, including ayups and eventually decided the single optics were too hard to get a reasonable beam pattern without a lot of R&D, a triple was easier to get right with the off the shelf optics. We didn't have time for cost engineering, the connectors, button and feedthrus were all mil-spec with high quality O-rings for water proofing, all turned up and anodised black for stealth. The R5 flux cree, the optics efficiency and the drive current should put them around 930Lm when new. Used a b-flex buck regulator to keep the efficiency up so a triple needs a 4 cell LiPo. The b-flex is programmed for 1A, 0.5A in steady and flash. The voltage alarm is set for 33% capacity.
2014-05-17_13-24-01_322.jpg
We built 22 - I have 2; one wide and one spot. Apart from a cable issue, they have run faultlessly commuting 5 days a week in all weather, bunch rides 3 days a week, a few mont24s and 3-rings. The majority of my commute is through LCNP with no street lighting.

Most of the smart chargers out there are copies of an iMaxB6. The biggest problem with the copies are the buttons - the plastic film ones are a little fragile. http://hobbyking.com.au/hobbyking/store/__25873__IMAX_B6_50W_5A_Charger_Discharger_1_6_Cells_GENUINE_AU_Warehouse_.html

I charge them as slow as I can for an overnight charge - for me that's 600ma.

Bonus: most smart chargers take a 12v input so you can charge your lights without resorting to the charging tent. :)

During the winter it's ~2 hrs in the morning on a bunch ride and 40min on the commute home. I get 2 days from a 2200ma.h LiPo, swapping it out just before it hits 33%.
Most of the night races are around 1hr per lap - a 2200ma.h LiPo gets me a little over 2hrs on full - that's a lap and a safety lap for when someone sleeps through transition :eek:hwell:

Batteries are a consumable - I usually get 2 seasons out of a battery.

There are plenty on ebay selling LiPo cells but the quality varies (a lot). I have one ebay LiPo that has lasted 3 years and still charges/discharges like new. I have had others last less than one season, and the brands are changing all the time.

Lately I have been getting my LiPo cells from http://hobbyking.com.au The price is OK and they are local.

- carpetrunner

wombat

Lives in a hole
Yeah, if you guys are wiring in low-voltage cutouts, why not use rc lipos? Plenty of 2s packs available cheap in loads of sizes and they'll have balance plugs so no need to unpack cells to charge them properly.

speshboy

Likes Bikes
I want to try these solarstorm x2 mounted on the helmet. This one comes with a headband.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SolarSto...e_Accessorries&var&hash=item2a3c4cd228&_uhb=1

Is that plastic piece on the headband the helmet mount? If not where can I get one?

Also how long are the cords to the battery? Will it be long enough to put the battery in a backpack?

If not will these work with the solarstorm?

http://www.mtbrevolution.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=146

Any where else I can get a cable cheap?

One last question. How heavy is the light itself? I don't want a heavy light on my helmet.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I want to try these solarstorm x2 mounted on the helmet. This one comes with a headband.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SolarSto...e_Accessorries&var&hash=item2a3c4cd228&_uhb=1

Is that plastic piece on the headband the helmet mount? If not where can I get one?

Also how long are the cords to the battery? Will it be long enough to put the battery in a backpack?

If not will these work with the solarstorm?

http://www.mtbrevolution.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=146

Any where else I can get a cable cheap?

One last question. How heavy is the light itself? I don't want a heavy light on my helmet.

Any help appreciated. Thanks
That plastic thing is the helmet mount. You cut the elastic off and use a Velcro strip or as has been suggested here which is to stick Velcro on your helmet and the. On the mount and then it comes on and off without much fuss.

The cord is long enough to go from my helmet to a top pocket in my Camelbak or deuter race exp air.

You won't notice it on your head. Maybe 100grams inc the mount.

Sent from my some device using some program

climberman

Likes Dirt
… certainly no where near as good as building a pack from Panasonic NCR18650B cells.
If I were to buy some of these, what would be a good recharger and what would be a good way to treat and charge them?*

I have two sets of cheap Chinese lights. A year ago got a set with charger, batt set and light for ~$60 delivered. Just got a new set with two lights, a small battery set and no charger.

Keen to make up a battery pack that can last a fair whack of an evening, and maybe make one up for the missus as well.

*you could have a very long and fruitful career in electronics based on what I don't know about electronics. Trying to learn a bit through this process.

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
5000lm SolarStorms arrived today. Disappointed. While I wasn't expecting them to be 5 times as bright as my 1000lm nitelights (which are over 4yrs old), I was expecting at least twice as bright. I have emailed them. It will be interesting so hear what they say.

Comparison photos attached. One is a standard beam shot. The other is an indirect bounce shot good for negating the effects of different beam patterns

Comparison-1.jpg

Comparison-3.jpg

bamctaggart

Likes Bikes
Have 2 sets of these now
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111106281341?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

i know the exact ones are on ebay cheaper, but these arrived within a week, where as the others will take a month.
Now these are ludicrously bright, they piss all over the solar storms, and they piss all over my mates lights which he paid hundreds for. The battery pack is extremely small and can either be strapped to the stem if on your bars or slipped into your camelbak.
Getting 3 hours out of them on full blast, or 5-6 hours on half light.

I can recommend these to everyone and anyone.

There build quality is actually surprisingly good, nice solid aluminium but are quiet light.

Last edited:

ChopSticks

Banned
While I wasn't expecting them to be 5 times as bright as my 1000lm nitelights (which are over 4yrs old), I was expecting at least twice as bright.
Disappointing indeed!!!
the lights looks almost identical... Maybe even less bright?

fingers crossed it's only a bad light.... Hopefully mines brighter than that :p

do keep us posted on what the seller says!!

bamctaggart

Likes Bikes
Which seller, what battery pack, whats the exact LED's used, they always say there max rated output in the description and then there actual lumen output, check this also

redbruce

Eats Squid

Title of ad says 5000lm but in the body of the text says up to 2000lm.

Which seller, what battery pack, whats the exact LED's used, they always say there max rated output in the description and then there actual lumen output, check this also
http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-riding/user-review-solarstorm-x2-original-version-888476.html

Seems to confirm Freddofrog's observation.

Last edited:

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I've just made this adapter to try my RC lipos in my solarstorm. That way I can balance charge them and they're cheap. Does anyone forsee any issues with running a lipo for a long time though opposed to the relative time you run a lipo battery in a car or plane? As in heat generation? Also do you think I've used too small a gauge wire too?
20140520_081802.jpg

redbruce

Eats Squid
I've just made this adapter to try my RC lipos in my solarstorm. That way I can balance charge them and they're cheap. Does anyone forsee any issues with running a lipo for a long time though opposed to the relative time you run a lipo battery in a car or plane? As in heat generation? Also do you think I've used too small a gauge wire too?
As the internal wiring of the light is 26awg, that is the minimum that should be used (yours looks like less than that to me on the light adaptor end).