Lights?

Michae1

Likes Dirt
I haven't seen the new gecko mounts yet, but they do look promising.

tell 'em i sent ya!!!
I use the Gecko mounts on my helmet and they're awesome, no more than 8 velcro dots hold them in place, so easy to get on and off.

I also use one of the gecko battery mounts under the stem, makes life alot easier when needing to change them (not that I've needed to often)

Crittski

Likes Dirt
My NiteFlux light that I bought 5 years ago was charging and the charger melted in the mains power socket. It was obviously out of warranty, and I had good use of it, but I was very concerned that it could have caught on fire. I rang the company, and they were not even interested in the fact that it had just about caused a tragedy, their only comment was that "it was out of warranty".

I am looking for a replacement and you can guarantee that I won't be buying any NiteFlux product in the future. I am however looking seriously at the Ayups.

Would the cheapest ayup kit (multisport) be ok for commuting during the winter months?

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Would the cheapest ayup kit (multisport) be ok for commuting during the winter months?

Yep, definitely.
I will run a bar mount only on my roadie during winter.
Love my Ayups and just scored some more 3 hour batteries on the cheap.
I now have enough power to run helmet and bars for 12 hours straight.

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They are the perfect commuting lights,
Ive actually been flashed by cars coming the other way as they are that bright.

You won't have a problem with them melting either, I left a battery on charge at the recent 24hr for 20 hrs, and everything was fine.

gavinotb

Cannon Fodder
Yo Rich

[[B]B]QUOTE=RichJS]You've got a so many unanswered questions to your last post!

Also, lying to people on the Internet suggests that you think you're smarter than the rest of the world, because everyone else is too stupid to figure out the truth.[/QUOTE]

Yo Rich

You buy em online right now direct from NiteFLUX in Australia – if you a look at the site you will clearly see that they sell direct to consumers as well now.
I have had em about 3weeks. They cost $689.00

Comparing to Ayup stupid comparison I agree, as there is no comparison the Photon Max Extreme has way my functions and is way brighter, but hey a lot of people are suggesting Ayup so why not compare – different price point for sure but different performance as well - like comparing a Chinese pocket bike too KTM 200 trail bike.

You might think it sounds too bright but you haven’t use it, John Hardwick editor of Mountain Biking Australia has used it and he has probably tested more lights than anyone in Australia, see the First issue of Mountain Biking Australia for 2009, he thought it was great, he certainly did say it was too bright and if you do happen to eat carrots all day and night and you did happen to think it was too bright you could run it on the 3watt low beam for 10 hours but I would say 10-10 of people would use it on the higher settings from 6watt up. Its nice to have choice power settings and not to be locked into one power setting with a fixed beam pattern choice that is the same all the time.

The NiteFLUX head unit weighs only 115grams, so its light where it counts, battery weighs more but its got features and functions, and I rather see where I am going it more fun that way.

Got say I could not be bothered connecting multiple units all over my bike and helmet sounds like a good waste of time. But if your cool with that go silly.

As for charge control this is what they say on there site word for word, you got a more specific question ask them?

ICC Intelligent Charge Control
All NiteFLUX lights come with premium quality Li-Ion batteries that incorporate a unique proprietary protection circuit module. This module greatly enhances battery life by precisely managing power input, temperature sensing and individual cell monitoring/balancing, ensuring hassle-free AAA Gold standard charge control for every recharge. ICC technology also allows for 'Piggy Back' fast charging, reducing charge time to 2 hours on all models. Using 2 x NF power supplies and our unique 'Y-Cord' you can recharge your battery twice as fast - perfect for Enduro racing!

I don’t hear of many or any other firms having cell balancing on there battery packs, from my RC days that’s remote control cars most battery packs develop problems because the cells inside get imbalanced I have been told.

Thermal management is a critical area by what the LED manufactures say, I haven’t noticed my extreme throttling back because it gets to hot, and I don’t think Mountain Biking Australia had a problem either, its pretty obvious when you look at the Photon Max design they have gone to great effort to build cooling into there design and other designs simply have not, as a result of this other designs don’t run Hi-Watt LED or may have problem if they do.

There is in-built temperature sensing in the NiteFLUX and I don’t know when the LED’s throttle back, but it said to only occurs when they do get to hot for there own good, and to me it sounds like a good safety measure, there are many other designs don’t have temperature sensing and I would imagine that if any light set from manufacturer that didnt have temp sensing turned on accidentally in a confined environment like a sports bag that the LED head could get very hot and possibly melt.

MATE I hope that’s answers your questions, don’t be offended if people like other things to you that’s what makes the world go around.

Once you start comparing them to AyUps you sound a bit silly, so I'll play the role of AyUp fanboy (I own a pair):

AyUps are only 280 lumens a pair, but they also weigh 160grams for light and 3hr battery. Funnily enough, the light you review weighs 500 grams, and lasts only 1.5 hours - unless you turn down the brightness.. by now, you'll have noticed it's light output to weight ratio starts to look a lot like AyUps. (Light output per hour per dollar ratio, at my best guess, too!)

Have you looked at the AyUp site at all? Pretty sure I saw pics there of people running 3 pairs of lights on their bars and 2 on their helmet with a minimum of effort..

Eh, which drag races are they? :p (Sounds like my every day riding home from work in winter!) Did you notice that AyUps come in a choice of 3 beams?

Wow, a charger that stops charging when the battery is full! Lithium Ion batteries that you can charge whenever you want! :rolleyes:

Do they really recommend connecting two chargers together in parallel? This is pretty unusual, as you'd imagine that having something other than just battery connected to a charger would stuff up detection of the battery status. Why don't they just offer a charger with double the current output?

It's pretty cool that an Australian company released such a bright light, AFAIK brighter than all the available HIDs even - but who wants 1300 lumens on their head?

Also, all that thermal management is there for a reason: I imagine 8-watt LEDs would indeed run hot .. So, what ambient temperature (and I guess airspeed) do they start to cut down the brightness at? How much by - are they going to halve in brightness on a 30 degree summer's night when you're riding slowly around twisty singletrack?

I wonder how long until AyUp put out a product using the CREE MC-E LEDs, like this NiteFLUX does.... :cool:[/QUOTE]

RichJS

Likes Dirt
[[B]B]QUOTE=RichJS]
You buy em online right now direct from NiteFLUX in Australia – if you a look at the site you will clearly see that they sell direct to consumers as well now.
I have had em about 3weeks. They cost $689.00

Hey GavinOTB, try not mangling your quotes there. Still, it is only your second ever post here. So, how much did YOU pay for the lights, and where did YOU buy them from? .. Or maybe you got them for free from your employer, Niteflux?

I don’t hear of many or any other firms having cell balancing on there battery packs, from my RC days that’s remote control cars most battery packs develop problems because the cells inside get imbalanced I have been told.
Things are a little different from the NiCads and NiMh batteries of your RC days. Every decent light uses Lithium Ion batteries now, with safety and management built into the battery and charger. This really is nothing special. Your mobile phone, your laptop etc have been using LithIon for years.

other designs don’t run Hi-Watt LED or may have problem if they do.
"Other designs" pre-date CREE MC-E LEDs. :p I'm sure there'll be other lights out soon using MC-E LEDs. Given that they have about the same Lumens/Watt as the XR-E lamps everyone else uses, there's not much need for them though.

There is in-built temperature sensing in the NiteFLUX and I don’t know when the LED’s throttle back, but it said to only occurs when they do get to hot for there own good, and to me it sounds like a good safety measure, there are many other designs don’t have temperature sensing and I would imagine that if any light set from manufacturer that didnt have temp sensing turned on accidentally in a confined environment like a sports bag that the LED head could get very hot and possibly melt.
So, which lights are you referring to that don't have management? Sounds like more FUD from someone related to the manufacture of these lights! AyUps (Mmm, R2 Lux bins now) have no thermal management and won't get too hot if left on it a confined space.. probably because each LED is run at only 500mA. Conveniently enough, this is close to the point where those LEDs are most efficient - 350mA - and high efficiency = low heat output. (Yes I know, the light will become heat too..)

Last edited:

Knopey

Likes Dirt
More dishonesty from gavinotb - where or when are you going to admit that you are commercially involved with them? As opposed to passing yourself off as just another user when that's clearly not the case. Dodgy imo.
Does Farkin have a policy on this sort of thing...

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
Wow I hope this guy is not the Australian distributer.. as a reseller I would be pissed with someone like Gavinotb destroying any credibility the product may actually have on such a wide MTB community like farkin... sheesh !!

"I don’t hear of many or any other firms having cell balancing on there battery packs, from my RC days that’s remote control cars most battery packs develop problems because the cells inside get imbalanced I have been told. " <--- this is actually pretty funny.. claiming knowledge of the problem in RC batteries from your days in RC.. but then say you were told this... huh ? WTF ? From my Sales and marketing days most sales and marketing speak is as transparent as the clingwrap I pack my lunch in.. so I have been told.

http://www.smsfun.com.au/niteflux <--- huh?

Just one other small point, the nitefux use Li-ion batteries, the Ayups use Li-Po... a more refined and robust version of the li-ion battery...

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt
Just one other small point, the nitefux use Li-ion batteries, the Ayups use Li-Po... a more refined and robust version of the li-ion battery...

Li-po actually has slightly poorer energy density than Li-ion however it has the distinct advantage of being able to be packaged in non-standard shapes i.e flat packs rather than cells.

The downside to Li-po is fire risk. The risk is often overhyped imho, however there is certainly a risk of puncturing a cell in an accident and the results are not pretty. Of course Li-ion will produce a similar reaction if you puncture one, however it is much harder to puncture a steel cased 18650.

Li-po isn't inherently better then Li-ion, just different.

RichJS

Likes Dirt
Li-po actually has slightly poorer energy density than Li-ion however it has the distinct advantage of being able to be packaged in non-standard shapes i.e flat packs rather than cells.

The downside to Li-po is [video of one exploding.]
I was under the impression that the energy density of LiPo is higher, and that the Polymer is harder to damage. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_polymer seems to agree, and of course Wikipedia is never wrong. :rolleyes:

jlam

Likes Bikes
Hi All,

I'm not Battery guru, but are in the market for some lights as i want to consider 24hr racing, i use to also race r/c cars like someone that mentioned about, cells need to be balanced in a battery pack, it may sound a little strange.

Lipo batteries have to be taken care of, as they have been known to catch on fire like what someone has posted above. But then it just comes down to taking care of it, just like how we take care of our bikes.

Lipo batteries needed to be maintain at a particular voltage, in order for it to be charded well that's from the r/c background, and i would assume it would apply to bike lights, but then again it would come down to the charger.

After the 24hour race on the weekend, i saw quiet alot of people using teh Ar-up lights and they look bright, i was following someone down the single trail and he had one on his handle bar, and another on his helment, and it was BRIGHT, alot brigher then me NightRider USB helment light!

that is my thoughs, i'm going the for AR-UP lights, batteries look cheap to replace :D

Jlam

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There is a guy in the Rockwheelers club in Townsville that is making lights. His set up includes 1 light @250 lumens (bar or helmet mount), 2 batteries with 2.5 hrs runtime each and charger. Total weight of light and batteries is 150 grams. Excellent system for $130!!
PM me and I will put you in touch with him.

DaveT

Squid
I've been using a Niteflux Photon Max for 12 - 18 months, twice a week during winter at dirt crits, enduro's and social rides and been very happy with it. I've ridden with it in the rain and pestilence, wacked it on the odd branch or three, and not had any problems with it. Quite a few of my riding buddies have the Ay Ups and they seem like a great light, compact, light and versatile. I like the Photon because it's powerful, the head unit is light, it has a variety of output settings and it can be fast charged. I had to do a bit of customizing to get the helmet mount to fit on my Lazer helmet and it does sit quite high - hence the odd branch wack - minor niggles, all in all I'm very happy with it.

Dave

Like most people have probably said, go with Ayups. I got a set last year and have never looked back. So neat, lightweight and great beam shots. I got theset which included both helmet and bar mounts. Better still they are an aussie company. Definately worth spendning the money!!!

rpmjunky

Likes Bikes
I've been using a Niteflux Photon Max for 12 - 18 months, twice a week during winter at dirt crits, enduro's and social rides and been very happy with it. I've ridden with it in the rain and pestilence, wacked it on the odd branch or three, and not had any problems with it. Quite a few of my riding buddies have the Ay Ups and they seem like a great light, compact, light and versatile. I like the Photon because it's powerful, the head unit is light, it has a variety of output settings and it can be fast charged. I had to do a bit of customizing to get the helmet mount to fit on my Lazer helmet and it does sit quite high - hence the odd branch wack - minor niggles, all in all I'm very happy with it.

Dave
SNAP

had mine for about the same and has never missed a beat. for our midweek night ride i use it full power and it out shines all the other lights on the ride. i also did the kona last year in a duo and was a little worried about battery time but i ran it on the medium power setting and got 6hrs out of it and was still brighter than most lights out there.

Haro Xeon

Likes Bikes
That Blackburn light is only 170 Lumens, so for the price it isnt really a bargain. You would be better off getting the ayup (320 Lumens) roadie kit for $220 as it has nearly double the output and the battery doesnt weigh half a kilo.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
*snip cool vid ...
that would make an interesting night ride ... :p can wait to test that on one of the lads

I couldn't see the size of the batt that caused that amount of flame in the vid ??? supposed much much bigger then the 3 hr or mayeb 4 times bigger then the 6hr in the yup packs ??? Any more details ??