Lights?

loc81

Likes Dirt
For those counting pennies..

After stressing over a cheap but reasonable light set-up for the Scott on here a few weeks ago, I should put my 2c in after the race!
I ended up buying Ay-ups for the bars, but trimmed a bit off the cost by getting only what I needed induvidually.
Lights, 6hr battery, charger, bar mount and battery pouch ended up at almost $290 inluding postage. Due to a short stem (insert joke here..) I got some long strips of velcro and strapped the battery to the front of my head tube.
As for helmet lights, I took a punt on a "adventure" light from Kathmandu. Reduced from $120 to $60, I couldn't say no!
It was their own brand, 2.4W, around 6hrs (I think) on high, with a low and flashing option. To seal the deal, the rear battery pack (3xAA) has a red light that can also flash, so that covered evrything for the race.
As for brightness, suprisingly it wasnt too far off the Ay-Ups, just more direct, and I could just click it a few notches higher than the bars.

So for $350 I was night racing and bombing down the skyline like a bat out of hell. I can't wait to get out after dark again soon- very addictive!
Cheers, Loc

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It would be interesting to survey the Scott riders to see what lights were in use.

I took a quick visual survey on the Sat night while waiting for my rider to come into transition. In 5 minutes, I counted 13 riders (in a row) come through with AYUPs on.

Not scientific by any stretch of the imagination, but that's a pretty high mix.

McPete

Likes Dirt
I was using Ay-Ups, for one.

I did see a few more Lupines going around than I'd have really expected though.

Gnarly one

Likes Bikes
At the Scott I used an Ay-up on the helmet and a Light & Motion Seca 900 on the bars.

On max setting, the bar light was so bright I had to turn my head to the side to check that the Ay-Up was still on!

struggles

Likes Dirt
http://www.nitelights.com.au/

Did anybody buy a set of these

They looked pretty good at $130 and 900 lumens

There was a guy walking around on friday with them and a got a flyer under the wiper of the car.

They look to be sold out now

Last edited:

rangie

Likes Dirt
They look to be exactly the same as magicshines, which are available here http://www.bikelights.com.au
There is no way those lights are 900 lumens. Thats just the led manufacturer spec. They would be closer to 500 when first turned on and less as it heats up.

They also claim a team using them won the mens threes. The mens threes were won by the Onya Boys who were not running those :(

Ivan

Eats Squid
Someone mentioned pulling these lights apart and putting some thermal paste in there to improve heat dissipation. Does anyone have a link on a "how to" for this?

I bought AYUPs for the Scott and they are terrific. They arrived 3 days after I ordered online, they're good value, the kit comes with everything you need in a hard case and they throw plenty of light.

Ivan

Eats Squid
So the conesus on these cheap 900 lumen lights is not to bother and pay the extra for some ayups?
I'd say if you don't mind pulling them apart and re-soldering some joints and adding some thermal paste, get the cheapies. I have a set, which I have only used on my commute so far, but the beam is pretty impressive.

If you want quality and carefree riding straight out of the box, go with a reputable brand like Ayup.

struggles

Likes Dirt
I'd say if you don't mind pulling them apart and re-soldering some joints and adding some thermal paste, get the cheapies. I have a set, which I have only used on my commute so far, but the beam is pretty impressive.

If you want quality and carefree riding straight out of the box, go with a reputable brand like Ayup.
I only want them for commuting duties as I have had a viscous power HID since 2005.

JEBBS

Likes Dirt
just for communting

Hey, if you are after lights just for commuting. yeah Ayups are good, but do not discount the HID Technologies Pygmy (600 lumens) from a single source.

great for seeing down the road as you are on thin tyres, looking out for glass, rocks, branches, gravel. $345 delivered.
IF, i went back to road riding this would be my choice over the Ayup, (single set rated at 320 lumens) for $320.

Hope this helps :)

wrk_sux

Squid
I got the Ayups based on not really hearing anything bad, arived very quick love em, great throw of light, weight nothing at all and the look good :p

Robb

Likes Dirt
Me and a mate have bought a magicshine each and very happy with it for riding in stromlo at night. For the money you pay, it seems very good. That said, I dont have experience with any other lights, but given the comparitive price i was willing to take the risk on a magicshine

adaib

Likes Dirt
I have tested a few and for the price you can't beat Ay-ups.
Ay ups are the stuff of legends!! We got some for our HPv team they are dominant. Their light weight, bright, cool looking and don't take to long to recharge.
Would defiantly recommend them.