Listening to music while riding

Sommoner

Likes Dirt
One fine day out riding I was very impressed when some guy ride passing me had MXPX blasting out of his camel pack. Straight away I realized that’s cool.
I was just wondering, out of those who listens to music while riding and what type of setup you have. Speakers, Batteries, Whether it is a usb/mp3 drive mini disk player.

jayboy882003

Likes Dirt
hmm, i dont really listen to music coz its sometimes off putting (say in the busy city)...BUT if i do listen to music i normally have: my Nokia8310 which has a radio connected to normal ear phones or my MP3 player with some cruizy music, if i'm going to windsor or something. i normally just put the player in my backpack or camel back.

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ok, so i'm old.
i can't listen to anything when i ride cause i find it really distracting.
sort of a hold over from my road moto days i guess. i get kinda paranoid if i can't hear whats happening around me. i spent/spend to much time worried about what some retard in his/her steel cage is going to do.
and yes, i do have issues with cars..... oh, so many issues......

Rik

logged out
I love riding in silence (bless you silent clutch hub). There is no way I'd ride with music, as I need to be 100% aware of my surroundings. I wanna know if my chain is making odd noises, if my brakes are scubbing, or if some maniac is about to hit me from behind. With music playing I feel shut off and out of touch, so it gets thumbs down from me.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm with Rik on this one.I have an MP3 player and tried using it riding to work etc. but it was just plain dangerous. Besides dont you go riding to get away from the noise?
Each to their own on this one, but I prefer to hear the screams of hikers and horse riders rather than music. :lol:

Bonnet

Likes Dirt
i listen to Rage Against The Machine on my way to uni, i find it cut off about 5 mins from my trip (usually 28-30mins) as opposed to listining to Jack Johnson.

i just stick a discman in my bag and plug in one earphone in the left ear so i can still hear the traffic etc from my right side in my right ear.

Jared

Yeti Cycles
yeah yeah, good stuff, i get super bored now if i do an xc ride without taking music along, nuthing beats deftones goin flat out at any time of a ride, even for dh its awesome. I just run my discman and sony MDR-G52 earphones, works awesome. makes riding soo much better most of the time, if only ther was a way to fit my earphones into a fullface...hmmmmmmm :!:

bighitter

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah, i hate riding DH or anything besides xc with music.
I find it like lupine says really distracting - and makes me more nervous not being able to here whats coming .

Just me ???????????????

Darkness

Rotting Corpse Films
Yeh it'd be great going out and listening to yuor fav band pumping through berms and jumps but what about the cost of the player if you come off??
$$$$$$$$$$$

Jared

Yeti Cycles
supertpoweredshore said:
Yeh it'd be great going out and listening to yuor fav band pumping through berms and jumps but what about the cost of the player if you come off??
$$$$$$$$$$$
ah well, been doing it for 5 yrs and never done a thing to em, cept a set of earphones that fell outa my ear and went thru the spokes and ripped in half, but players have been sweet

curtisrider

Eats Squid
i listen to it while riding places but not while doing jumps cos u need to concentrate, and knowing someone who broke thier phone jumping i dont want to risk it.

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can only listen to music when hitten up smaller easier stuff that dont require as much concentration, like bmx tracks and small dubs, any DH stuff and i wouldnt stand it i like to hear whats happing to my bike underneith me.

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if i go to the city on my own or the local school i listen to my MD but if on a group ride there's always stuff to talk about so there's not much point.

I pretty much listen to music all the time apart from that and it's done wonders for me in english :lol:

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
I actually find i'm alot more alert when i have my music pumping. Basically cause i can't hear the outside world, i'm forced to keep my head up, and my eyes constantly searching. This has saved my arse many times, as riding on road gets so boring. Surely you've seen someone ride into a car door cause his/her head was down!
i don't recommend this thow for fear of being sued!!!

Adi

It's my birthday!
Some of you guys must have some sort of spidersense or something. Nah, I have not ridden with music blasting into my ears. I think its just to disturbig, I like the sound of my freewheel and I usually go over music in my head. :)

naz

Criminally Inane
music pumping...iriver ifp390 mp3 player got 100 songs or so and i never leave home without it...ridin wit music is good makes those long trips to the station much more amusing and pumps u up for bigger stuff!!!
and u cant hear ppl when they have a winge
my mp3 player bfore this one was nomad 2 i had that for ages then i ran into a pole and it broke.!!! it lastd 2 years of ridin..my new one is smaller lighter and lasts 24hours continous on one AA battery full volume....def worth it..

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
maD, i want an iriver mp3 player - a red one, THEY AER DEAD SEXY
i've never tried riding downhill with music blareing in my earphones, but i'd imagine it either being really distracting or majorly c00l
when i used to ride up and down cootha on saturday mornings i used to take with me a disk man and i'd play progressive trance, it takes your mind off the pain and makes u concentrate - but i agree to the fact that it is very dangerous

Weasel

Likes Dirt
Nomad MP3 player with Koss bud earphones (Crazy bass and quality)

128mb on a flash card and all the music i want