Little Things You Hate

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Pig hunting's not fun?

I must be doing it wrong bro.

I got out of handgun shooting in 2000 when the laws changed....real tempted to take it up again though.
LTIH, people who don't know the joys of boar hunting!
Don't judge it until you've tried it, and they're a pest, so not even your hippy sentiments can justify suffering these animals to live (at least from an environmental standpoint).
Not to mention, they're made of bacon!!
I must be missing something here...you're there with a gun, probably a reasonable distance from the pig, probably in a ute, maybe even with a few large dogs and friends to back you up while you "face off" against a pig? A pig armed with..?

Don't get me wrong, I love bacon. I love wild meat. But there's nothing particularly heroic about hunting them. Unless you're out there bare fisted knuckling down against the beast solo in a pair of rugged? In that case well done for surviving! That would take some big balls.

moorey

call me Mia
LTIH, people who don't know the joys of boar hunting!
Don't judge it until you've tried it, and they're a pest, so not even your hippy sentiments can justify suffering these animals to live (at least from an environmental standpoint).
Not to mention, they're made of bacon!!
They're a pest, but not their fault. Humane reduction I'm all for, red necks and their dogs out being cruel and bloodthirsty chunts.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
They're a pest, but not their fault. Humane reduction I'm all for, red necks and their dogs out being cruel and bloodthirsty chunts.
We have a lot of that sort here, Canberra is an extremely redneck town... They cut the ears off their dogs so the pigs cant grab them, and release pregnant sows into the national parks so they still have something to heroically hunt...

As you say - utter chunts.

Z

Zaf

I must be missing something here...you're there with a gun, probably a reasonable distance from the pig, probably in a ute, maybe even with a few large dogs and friends to back you up while you "face off" against a pig? A pig armed with..?

Don't get me wrong, I love bacon. I love wild meat. But there's nothing particularly heroic about hunting them. Unless you're out there bare fisted knuckling down against the beast solo in a pair of rugged? In that case well done for surviving! That would take some big balls.
I don't hunt with dogs, but with rifles and bows, and usually on foot.
I never said it was heroic, I said it was thrilling, and it is. Some people don't understand the thrill of the hunt, and anecdotally, they're almost always people who have never hunted. Also, it's kind of in the nature of hunting the the application of force is disproportionate. If you want to fight a boar, go for it, but you've done something terribly wrong if you let yourself get into a fair fight.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I never said it was heroic, I said it was thrilling, and it is. Some people don't understand the thrill of the hunt, and anecdotally, they're almost always people who have never hunted. Also, it's kind of in the nature of hunting the the application of force is disproportionate. If you want to fight a boar, go for it, but you've done something terribly wrong if you let yourself get into a fair fight.
No Thanks, a wild boar will mince meat you in a matter of seconds, especially the leader of the pack.

moorey

call me Mia
I fail to comprehend how killing is 'thrilling' to a grown up, capable of understanding/empathizing with another creatures pain and suffering. I really do.

Z

Zaf

I fail to comprehend how killing is 'thrilling' to a grown up, capable of understanding/empathizing with another creatures pain and suffering. I really do.
You can be a hunter and still empathise with the pain and suffering of another creature; these aren't mutually exclusive or even at odds to one another.
I fail to comprehend how anyone with a basic education could elect to be a vegan; I really do. The worlds mysteries are limitless.

moorey

call me Mia
You can be a hunter and still empathise with the pain and suffering of another creature; these aren't mutually exclusive or even at odds to one another.
I fail to comprehend how anyone with a basic education could elect to be a vegan; I really do. The worlds mysteries are limitless.
You don't need education to have a conscience, and the willpower to act on it.

On your first point, I really don't agree. Not unless you're killing for your own survival.

Haakon

Whats wrong with being a vegan...? Aside from healthier that non vegans that is and prone to being better than anyone else (as per Scott Pilgrim vs the World :) )

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
In some ways hunting is probably better than a lot of farming. As long as the animal is taken out swiftly and skillfully, and if its providing food, or helping with a problem such as feral species / overpopulation (I include kangaroo culls here), or even providing income for broader conservation goals (yeah, even trophy hunting can have a positive spin).

Exceptions of course. Hunting pigs with dogs is largely barbaric. The fact that is often undertaken by bogans with blood lust who revel in the pigs pain (just look on youtube for examples) makes it hard to fathom how its allowed. If you have the skills to track down a pig by yourself - by all means. Just do it cleanly and don't torture it.

Oh, and I haven't eaten meat for about 8 years now.

Z

Zaf

You don't need education to have a conscience, and the willpower to act on it.

On your first point, I really don't agree. Not unless you're killing for your own survival.
Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about euthanasia? Are you even open to the concept that we are capable of killing with compassion?
I'm a good hunter, and I take great pride in that and enjoy it. I'm not going to try and explain the thrill, you will literally never understand that side of things unless you go out and participate in the activity, but I'm not going to lie that it exists; certainly not for the sake of public opinion.

Haakon said:
Whats wrong with being a vegan...? Aside from healthier that non vegans that is and prone to being better than anyone else (as per Scott Pilgrim vs the World :) )
Nothing really! I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, nor can I understand the choice from nutritional or medical standpoint. I clearly don't have any qualms with killing for food, so don't understand the ethical arguments beyond the wastage in farming meat (which I actually agree with). But even with their usual stereotypes (the rabid vegans types), they're not bad people; just people I don't really understand or spend much time around.

I'm sure some of them are even alright!

Calvin27

Eats Squid
You can't really be fully vegan in modern society unless you are really really pedantic about it. Even vegetables use blood and bone fertiliser.

Vegans generally fall into certain categories. The recent postulated one is the ethical angle. Well then you'd better strike palm oil products off your list in that case - all those malaysian animals getting their homes hacked away.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about euthanasia? Are you even open to the concept that we are capable of killing with compassion?
I'm a good hunter, and I take great pride in that and enjoy it. I'm not going to try and explain the thrill, you will literally never understand that side of things unless you go out and participate in the activity, but I'm not going to lie that it exists; certainly not for the sake of public opinion.

Nothing really! I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, nor can I understand the choice from nutritional or medical standpoint. I clearly don't have any qualms with killing for food, so don't understand the ethical arguments beyond the wastage in farming meat (which I actually agree with). But even with their usual stereotypes (the rabid vegans types), they're not bad people; just people I don't really understand or spend much time around.

I'm sure some of them are even alright!
You're comparing euthanasia with hunting? Really? You seek the permission of the animals you shout from afar? Interesting.

Oh, and I grew up on a farm, spent 18 years hunting, fishing, killing and shooting on a very regular basis. I owned 7 guns myself, and worked for 3 years in a fishing/hunting store. It did seem fun at the time. I was brought up to enjoy it. I learned for myself that it wasn't ok. I hate that I used to do it and enjoy it, but I can't change the past.

moorey

call me Mia
You can't really be fully vegan in modern society unless you are really really pedantic about it. Even vegetables use blood and bone fertiliser.

Vegans generally fall into certain categories. The recent postulated one is the ethical angle. Well then you'd better strike palm oil products off your list in that case - all those malaysian animals getting their homes hacked away.
I love this argument. I personally never claim to be perfect. Every step I take, I kill countless living things. It's a conscious effort to pragmatically do what I can.

Z

Zaf

I used it to demonstrate a concept, namely, that you can kill humanely, not for comparative purposes.
Just because you developed a new way of thinking doesn't mean everyone has to agree with you, and it certainly doesn't give you a moral high ground on the subject. This is the exact stereotypical behaviour I was talking about that makes vegans so insufferable.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Oh, and I grew up on a farm, spent 18 years hunting, fishing, killing and shooting on a very regular basis. I owned 7 guns myself, and worked for 3 years in a fishing/hunting store. It did seem fun at the time. I was brought up to enjoy it. I learned for myself that it wasn't ok. I hate that I used to do it and enjoy it, but I can't change the past.
Morality is subjective. That is a fact of life. You didn't 'learn' it wasn't ok, you decided.

moorey

call me Mia
I used it to demonstrate a concept, namely, that you can kill humanely, not for comparative purposes.
Just because you developed a new way of thinking doesn't mean everyone has to agree with you, and it certainly doesn't give you a moral high ground on the subject. This is the exact stereotypical behaviour I was talking about that makes vegans so insufferable.
Oh, man. You couldn't have possibly misread that worse :noidea:

Z

Zaf

Oh, man. You couldn't have possibly misread that worse :noidea:
And yet somewhere in your reasoning you went "point out that he was wrong but don't offer any clarification on it".
If you don't want people to misread the things you say, you could start by being clearer with how you present them.

Haakon

LTIH - rationalising away the nastiness of taking enjoyment in causing a fellow sentient creature pain and suffering.

Its just gross.