Little Things You Hate

stirk

Burner
Riding bikes is not a really good way of getting fit or losing weight either, have a look at how many hours pro riders spend in the Gym a day.
Agree with last sentence. How many roadies do you see who ride alot more than us MTB riders with fat guts? I see heaps regularly (in tight lycra!!!!) and they don't get slimmer.

I've been riding a while, average only 30km a week on weekends and it does a little to keep weight down, maybe 1kg or 2.

Diet change and muscle mass gain from other weight based exercise has made me go from 80kg to maintaining 71-73kg in 6 months and that's while still enjoying beers and BBQ.

That video and the people behind it need scientific evidence before making stupid claims.

My neck hurts from typing that last sentence, anyone got a spare brace I can borrow?......

Flow-Rider

Burner
Agree with last sentence. How many roadies do you see who ride alot more than us MTB riders with fat guts? I see heaps regularly (in tight lycra!!!!) and they don't get slimmer.

I've been riding a while, average only 30km a week on weekends and it does a little to keep weight down, maybe 1kg or 2.

Diet change and muscle mass gain from other weight based exercise has made me go from 80kg to maintaining 71-73kg in 6 months and that's while still enjoying beers and BBQ.

That video and the people behind it need scientific evidence before making stupid claims.

My neck hurts from typing that last sentence, anyone got a spare brace I can borrow?......
It takes a lot of riding for most people to consume calories from a meal with drink from maccas (about 2:14hrs or riding for a 88kg male), best way to reduce calories is not put it into your mouth in the first place.

Your body isn't meant to be hunched over for long periods of time on a MTB and then your spinal cord impacted. My back is already screwed from my occupations. Cycling is an unnatural movement also and repetitious of the same muscle groups. Don't really want to think about the crashes where I've broke bones and sprained muscles but a bigger guy that's unfit is going to roly poly a lot harder than me.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
They already do. Remember that cunt that plowed into cyclists in bondi i think it was?

Mrs. Ultras dad died when a car pulled onto a freeway near helensburgh and plowed into a group of riders on the shoulder.

Fuck I’ve been hit 3 times. Twice on purpose. People just swerving into me and knocking me off. Cops don’t do shit. Third time was somebody pulling out of a congested driveway with poor visibility for all parties, shit happens there.

I’ve also had a longneck launched at me from a ute, he was heading up hill and I was bombing down. It shattered when it skimmed my helmet. I knew the guy, cops still didn’t do shit. So I unscrewed the valves on his tyres and filled em with superglue. Cunt.

Fuck road riding, it’s not worth it. Much nicer in the bush.
True, but sometimes it's just easier when you only have a little time. Plus I live rural so normally cars aren't an issue. It's wildlife..... Good on you for the glue though. What a fuckwit

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Being fit does not always equal healthy body weight. Diet is your best friend if you want to lose weight. Riding burns calories, but if you eat more than you burn in a day then you'll be storing fat. You can lose fat and maintain body weight during training but the gut is the last place us guys are going to lose it. Also, riding on a road bike puts you in a position that pushes out your gut when breathing, so if you've got a bit of a beer belly then it's exaggerated on a road bike and skin tight lycra.

Pro road bikers spend bugger all time in the gym. And excess upper body mass just slows them down. Us mountain bikers are a different story. Look at Nino Schuter in the gym, super buff and he's as XC as it gets. Enduro and DH guys really need that upper body mass. But even these buff DH guys at 6ft tall are still only pushing 70-80kg. Roadies at that height are low 60s and thin as a rake.

Riding around that endurance zone is not building your fitness. The more you train in higher zones, then the more watts or higher power your endurance zone becomes. At the start of the year 200w was my lactate threshold. After 6 months of pretty hard training that's now 267w and guess what, I can now push 200w with my mouth closed.

I think the take away from this is, e-bikes suck and you'd be better off on a normal bike and working to get fit rather than making excuses. Have some self respect e-bikers!