Little Things You Hate

Mr Crudley

Eats Squid
LTIH, getting dicked around all morning so when I thought I wouldn't have time to go for a pedal, i actually had more than enough time. These rideless weeks are becoming all too frequent.
It happens but if you want to ride then it will balance out in the end. Sometimes too frequently life gets in the way.

Keep your pack ready to go and tyres pumped :)

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Elbo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dealing with real estate agents. A place we are looking at buying has an illegal garage on it, we've discovered. The agent tried to mislead me on many occassions about the legality of the garage, which makes me think he was privy to it all along and was trying to pull one over on us. As soon as we got council involved to confirm our suspicions, he got nasty. When he tried to convince my lawyer there was no problem, he ended up hanging up on my lawyer when confronted with the facts.

So now we are just waiting to see if the vendor is going to be too stubborn to let the sale continue now that they've been caught out.

pink poodle

Clinically Inane
Dealing with real estate agents. A place we are looking at buying has an illegal garage on it, we've discovered. The agent tried to mislead me on many occassions about the legality of the garage, which makes me think he was privy to it all along and was trying to pull one over on us. As soon as we got council involved to confirm our suspicions, he got nasty. When he tried to convince my lawyer there was no problem, he ended up hanging up on my lawyer when confronted with the facts.

So now we are just waiting to see if the vendor is going to be too stubborn to let the sale continue now that they've been caught out.
So you intend to buy despite the unauthorised construction?

Flow-Rider

Wheel size expert

Did it happen to fail a building inspection with this garage, most sale contracts have a clause about building and pest inspections.

Flow-Rider

Wheel size expert
If they drop the price enough for us to take on the problem, yes. If not, we'll walk.
Depending on how it's been built you might need to demolish it now that you've got council involved, if it's someone's odd and strange design you'll need to get an engineer involved and they're far from cheap.

creaky

The obviative
Depending on how it's been built you might need to demolish it now that you've got council involved, if it's someone's odd and strange design you'll need to get an engineer involved and they're far from cheap.
+1
Is the garage obviously inconsistent with the planning outcomes for the street (e.g. built to front boundary when no others are in the street)?

Heaps of properties around without everything above board but with no dramas.

If the garage is not subject to any action from Council/neighbours at present, and has been there for a number of years, I would be worried that contacting Council about it may have created a problem for you if you do decide to purchase at a lower price i.e. using it as a negotiating tool.