Little Things You Hate

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Also, if you know you have the blind spots, drive assuming there is something hiding in it, don’t put onus on others to deal with the shortcomings on your vehicle.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
FFS... Thats around the corner from where I used to live, I've ridden along there hundreds of times and there are zero visibility or space issues... Grrrr.

My kids go to the school up the road. I have to drive them occasionally (luckily there's a bike track close by for when they ride) and there's at least 5 'near misses' every time I do between bikes and traffic. The road is a shit fight in the morning and despite their being a well marked bike lane, nobody looks.
I'm not laying blame anywhere; as noted above there's a good chance that the truck may have had right of way. I turn left off Mt Alexander to get to the school and it's always an interesting guessin game as to whether the cyclist will stop. There seems to be a large misunderstanding/gap in knowledge about bike lanes and turning left on both sides, and I must admit that I had to look up the rules several years back to make sure I understood them.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Also, if you know you have the blind spots, drive assuming there is something hiding in it, don’t put onus on others to deal with the shortcomings on your vehicle.
If you're in traffic with trucks, don't put the onus on the truck driver to be mindful of your sense of entitlement.

Flow-Rider

Burner
But the onus is on the truck driver...that's the law. But it shouldn't facilitate the relinquishment of common sense of other road users.
You can legally turn from an unmarked outside lane at an intersection with a truck but you're meant to block traffic behind you by getting in the middle of both lanes, knobs decide to squeeze up the inside of you while you're turning the corner.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
To anticipate illegal onside overtaking? No, it isn't. It's not the fault of the truckie if they suicide.
Do you know they were over taking the truck illegally? I am just observing the motor vehicle operators are all responsible for the operation of their vehicle and being away of the surroundings. Cyclists are as well. So are pedestrians. But fault by one doesn't absolve the other of their obligations. Only skateboarders have no rules...they are outside the laws of everything except laws of radness.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
The stats will back up Haakon's claim, but for a significant proportion won't take into account the real-world realities of driving (as poods alludes too), only who's technically at fault.

Regarding the garbage truck comment, I wouldn't worry about a JJ Richards vehicle (there are other operators I try to get as far away from as possible when spotted in traffic though!). They are pretty fastidious with their maintenance and have a very current fleet of vehicles. Still doesn't automatically absolve the driver, but a maintenance-related fault would be an unusual anomaly IMO.

FigBo0T

Do you know they were over taking the truck illegally? I am just observing the motor vehicle operators are all responsible for the operation of their vehicle and being away of the surroundings. Cyclists are as well. So are pedestrians. But fault by one doesn't absolve the other of their obligations. Only skateboarders have no rules...they are outside the laws of everything except laws of radness.
No, I don't know any more than you do. I'm assuming based on the Google street view and satellite images. If traffic is turning left, the onus is on the bike in the bike lane to give way.
Did the truck fail to indicate? No idea.
Did the truck ignore traffic lights? No idea.

FigBo0T

The stats will back up Haakon's claim, but for a significant proportion won't take into account the real-world realities of driving (as poods alludes too), only who's technically at fault.

Regarding the garbage truck comment, I wouldn't worry about a JJ Richards vehicle (there are other operators I try to get as far away from as possible when spotted in traffic though!). They are pretty fastidious with their maintenance and have a very current fleet of vehicles. Still doesn't automatically absolve the driver, but a maintenance-related fault would be an unusual anomaly IMO.
Yeah, agreed. It wasn't maintenance that I was alluding to though. More that bin truck drivers are known to employ a similar sense of entitlement to that of road cyclists.

Would love to see these stats. I can't find a reliable source for them.