Little Things You Hate

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I clearly remember it being used in a pub in Broken Hill in the 90's, in a derogatory fashion towards Kooris when I was there as a teenager with the family on holiday.
Same a few hours south in Mildura. I was born in 1980 and grew up here with it being used very often in a very negative context by nearly every one, including my Father and Uncles. Then went to Nana's house to find a block of Coon cheese in her fridge. Confusing times.

Its getting better, but the generation before me are still very very negatively biased towards them.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Same a few hours south in Mildura. I was born in 1980 and grew up here with it being used very often in a very negative context by nearly every one, including my Father and Uncles. Then went to Nana's house to find a block of Coon cheese in her fridge. Confusing times.

Its getting better, but the generation before me are still very very negatively biased towards them.
#fakenews.
Coon ain’t offensive at all cause I don’t know many black people round here and I’ve never heard it used so therefore it never happened. Dem commy snowflakes are ruinin cheese.
First they came for my bickies, and I did not speak out.........

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I think the point about Coon is it was recognized as a very racist slur long before old mate cheesemaker came along so I've always thought it was an anomaly. Not withstanding the rather disputed history of Edward Coon, accepting that the company and processes was patented around the turn of century in the US, you could make a fair case that Coon cheese wasn't considered an issue given the racial insensitivities of the time.

I clearly remember it being used in a pub in Broken Hill in the 90's, in a derogatory fashion towards Kooris when I was there as a teenager with the family on holiday.
^^^This. Maybe it’s just us older folks that see the offence?

droenn

Fat Man's XC President

how did we not see the xenophobia creeping in with that celebrated boomer Peter Russell Clarke? BETTER THAN THE IMPORTED STUFF.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Fuck me! Why an afternoon of poodle vs technology.

But finally super gran is live with apple, only paying a $12/m phone bill vs $40/m, has had face time with her feat grand kids, and I've once again shown up the useless members of the family for the lazy turds they are.

A special fuck you 7-11, Steve Jobs, and Optus.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Aus post has been pretty good to me for my covid purchases. It shouldn’t be too bad.
Me three...

The same can't always be said of the suppliers...I've had a couple now that either are incompetent or couldn't be arsed.

One mob sent me some fruit trees for our new orchard and when I asked for the tracking number so they didn't sit in town for a week...I got excuses. After a bit, I finally got a number...that eventually proved to be for someone else's delivery. And my trees showed up on a day I just happened to be in town.

Another mob sat on my order for three days before sending it despite registering the parcel immediately with OzPost...

moorey

call me Mia
I think the point about Coon is it was recognized as a very racist slur long before old mate cheesemaker came along so I've always thought it was an anomaly. Not withstanding the rather disputed history of Edward Coon, accepting that the company and processes was patented around the turn of century in the US, you could make a fair case that Coon cheese wasn't considered an issue given the racial insensitivities of the time.

Yep. In 70’s/80’s Horsham Victoria, ‘we’ regularly referred to indigenous folk or any dark skinned people as Coons. Anyone saying they personally aren’t offended by the term and oppose the change is missing the point and needs to check their privilege.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
No idea about current, I left when I was 19 - I'd like to think the young kids across Aus are generally better than our gens were.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Not 2020 tassie? :oops:
I think ‘Victorian’ is your biggest slur ATM, to be honest.
Nah, apparently we are reserving interstate opprobrium this morning for Queenslanders, as according to the radio they are arseholes because the deputy QLD PM did a Dan Andrews (I haven't fact checked this as I don't care) and said why would you wanna go to Tassie for holiday when the borders open back up on August 7 or words to that effect.

I'd say Victorians are being treated with extreme sympathy at the moment for either being locked up or potentially in harms way, whilst we enjoy a pint at the pub and unfettered trail access. Of course when the next case from Vic gets here then the torches and pitchforks will come out.