Little Things You Hate

moorey

call me Mia
I really fail to see why everyone gets all ancy about speed cameras. Try this next time you're diving, occasionally you'll see a sign to your left or numbers on the road, take note of that and keep your speed below that. Car manufacturers are usually kind enough to install some sort of device in your vehicle that will tell you your speed, look at it from time to time. If it says 60 then go 60, it's not that difficult FFS.

And before people start harping on about good and bad drivers, it has nothing to do with that. Your ability to control your vehicle means squat when there are other road users about, animals running around, debris on the road, blah, blah.

It won't make a huge difference if you are an average driver or Sebastien Vettel when a child decides to chase a ball onto the road.

Rant over.

Edit: Realised it may sound like I'm having a go at you Moorey. I'm not, just having a rant :)
At ME? Never considered it , but cheers anyway.

Spotty

Likes Dirt
Presta valves. Why bother on anything other than weak, narrow roadie rims. (I get that smaller hole = stronger rims, btw)
They were on the mavic 317's on my XC when I bought it, which are already sized for schrader, so why fucking bother.
Fuck you presta.
Rant over.
Agreed, I've had to mmiss out on a whole day of runs because I snapped those shitty french valves. :mmph:

I also hate having me missed work for nearly 5 weeks now, my mates paycheck was greater then my current balance.

moorey

call me Mia
Being nervous isn't a bad thing mate. I've done many an interview in my time and given two candidates with similar experience and skills I'll usually pick the nervous guy over the cool one. To me it just means that they actually give a damn and want the job where as the cool guy probably doesn't care as much.
What he said. I interview many people in my old role. Cool/cocky/confident doesn't bode well. People who assume they can do the job and deserve the position are generally fucktards. That's not to say you shouldn't be comfortable in selling yourself and your abilities as best you can.
Anyone who really wants the job, and is nervous, but can still communicate their ability/suitability is generally a better candidate.
You'll be fine, H. And if you don't get it, it wasn't the right job for you.

Plow King

Little bit.
End of the day. Why alert people about booze buses?

It's stupid. Speed cameras. I never brought that up. But if you happen to slip 5kph over the speed limit I'm happy for someone to notify me. Ive also noticed most of the responses are from non VIC bound people. In which case Stfu you have it easy. Vic has fought me to stick at the speed limit anywhere due to the collosal clusterfuck of cameras. And mattydv yes that is one particular point particular that is dangerous. But if that's kind of irrelevant to what I'm trying to say.

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
I hate people who walk heir dogs and don't carry a bag with which to pick up the dog's crap. Seeing it on my front nature strip is bad enough, yes I have made people come back and pick it up, but last week I was taking my kid out for an evening ride and there to greet me on the footpath were about 5 human sized cigars obviously dumped by a dog not feeling too well and the owner had fled quick smart. Must have been a big bloody dog!

So had to put off my kid's ride and got the shovel and hose to clean it up, all the while apologizing to neighbours on their evening walk as they made a B line around my cleaning. I made sure I told them why I was cleaning up as well as informing them the next person who does not pick up their dog's cigar off my lawn will be eating that chocolate as I will pick it up sans gloves and smack it into their mush.

Probably more than the little thing I hate, it is a massive thing I hate, but feels good to vent it. It's not the dog's fault, just irresponsible owners.

S.

ex offender
It won't make a huge difference if you are an average driver or Sebastien Vettel when a child decides to chase a ball onto the road.
Uh huh. If the discrepancy in driver skill, as well as vehicle performance/condition is to be ignored, why should the discrepancy in entirely theoretical and arbitrary stopping distances be blown so massively out of proportion? What makes that single factor MORE IMPORTANT than any of the others? I'll tell you what:

It's the easiest factor to police and fine people for.

That is the number one reason speed limits are enforced far more heavy-handedly than any other road rules. Set up a radar/camera and watch the money roll in, all the while claiming the moral high ground by claiming you're saving everyone from everyone else. Maybe one day when you're driving in Vic and you get fined for 103 in a 100 zone because you were paying attention to the road rather than the speedo, you'll understand why people get upset about it. Nobody is asking for speed limits or enforcement to be removed entirely, simply for a REASONABLE approach to it. To the best of my knowledge, Victoria has THE tightest tolerances on speeding in the world, which combined with very low average speed limits (the entire way from the tollway on the Monash freeway to the West Gate is now 80km/h! This is a TEN LANE dual carriageway road built to freeway specs!) makes it extremely frustrating simply trying to go about your everyday life.

taitt

Likes Dirt
Being nervous isn't a bad thing mate. I've done many an interview in my time and given two candidates with similar experience and skills I'll usually pick the nervous guy over the cool one. To me it just means that they actually give a damn and want the job where as the cool guy probably doesn't care as much.
Really? So if i'm confident in myself and know my shit well enough not to freak out you'll choose the other guy? World works in strange ways.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Uh huh. If the discrepancy in driver skill, as well as vehicle performance/condition is to be ignored, why should the discrepancy in entirely theoretical and arbitrary stopping distances be blown so massively out of proportion? What makes that single factor MORE IMPORTANT than any of the others? I'll tell you what:

It's the easiest factor to police and fine people for.

That is the number one reason speed limits are enforced far more heavy-handedly than any other road rules. Set up a radar/camera and watch the money roll in, all the while claiming the moral high ground by claiming you're saving everyone from everyone else. Maybe one day when you're driving in Vic and you get fined for 103 in a 100 zone because you were paying attention to the road rather than the speedo, you'll understand why people get upset about it. Nobody is asking for speed limits or enforcement to be removed entirely, simply for a REASONABLE approach to it. To the best of my knowledge, Victoria has THE tightest tolerances on speeding in the world, which combined with very low average speed limits (the entire way from the tollway on the Monash freeway to the West Gate is now 80km/h! This is a TEN LANE dual carriageway road built to freeway specs!) makes it extremely frustrating simply trying to go about your everyday life.
The heavy policing of minor speeding is another bandaid on a bullet wound approach to fixing road safety.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I hate people who walk heir dogs and don't carry a bag with which to pick up the dog's crap. Seeing it on my front nature strip is bad enough, yes I have made people come back and pick it up, but last week I was taking my kid out for an evening ride and there to greet me on the footpath were about 5 human sized cigars obviously dumped by a dog not feeling too well and the owner had fled quick smart. Must have been a big bloody dog!

So had to put off my kid's ride and got the shovel and hose to clean it up, all the while apologizing to neighbours on their evening walk as they made a B line around my cleaning. I made sure I told them why I was cleaning up as well as informing them the next person who does not pick up their dog's cigar off my lawn will be eating that chocolate as I will pick it up sans gloves and smack it into their mush.

Probably more than the little thing I hate, it is a massive thing I hate, but feels good to vent it. It's not the dog's fault, just irresponsible owners.
Sounds like you need to invest in a spotlight, a megaphone and a video camera.

I'm pretty sure footage of someone caught like a rabbit in headlights as you berate them at a deafening volume, would go viral. It's both comedy gold AND a deterrent!

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can you support this with legislative evidence? Or perhaps point me to somewhere I can read about these sorts of requirements/loopholes, presuming they exist, which have official recognition?
I cant find the link on the commonlaw website to show that you dont need to tell them anything but your name. however you need to supply your name age and place of residence, at no time do you require you to prove it with ID.

Here is what the QLD government says:

http://www.police.qld.gov.au/rti/published/policies/qpsPolicyProc/pwrReqNameAdres.htm

http://www.primelaw.com.au/Publicat...rom_questioning-2c_to_arrest_to_charging.aspx

http://www.legalaid.qld.gov.au/lega...ithpolice/Pages/DoIhavetotalktothepolice.aspx

Another worth while link

http://www.criminallawsurvivalkit.com.au/Crime.html

I really fail to see why everyone gets all ancy about speed cameras. Try this next time you're diving, occasionally you'll see a sign to your left or numbers on the road, take note of that and keep your speed below that. Car manufacturers are usually kind enough to install some sort of device in your vehicle that will tell you your speed, look at it from time to time. If it says 60 then go 60, it's not that difficult FFS.
You do relise that untill I think it was 2005 (maybe 95 cbf looking it up) the ADR(australian driving regulations) stated that a car spedo could be +/- 10%..... remember that next time you get a speeding ticket(also the speed camera has a margin for error that you can add ontop of that)

Last edited:

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can you support this with legislative evidence? Or perhaps point me to somewhere I can read about these sorts of requirements/loopholes, presuming they exist, which have official recognition?
I was told once if you don't produce Id or something they could hit you for vagrancy? (could be a bullshit lie parents tell their kids)

Thats what I said - did I write in fluent Swahili?

The fines are part of general revenue.
No, but can you? That would be awesome :D

That is the number one reason speed <b>limits</b> are enforced far more heavy-handedly than any other road rules. Set up a radar/camera and watch the money roll in, all the while claiming the moral high ground by claiming you're saving everyone from everyone else. Maybe one day when you're driving in Vic and you get fined for 103 in a 100 zone because you were paying attention to the road rather than the speedo, you'll understand why people get upset about it. Nobody is asking for speed <b>limits</b> or enforcement to be removed entirely, simply for a REASONABLE approach to it. To the best of my knowledge, Victoria has THE tightest tolerances on speeding in the world, which combined with very low average speed <b>limits</b> (the entire way from the tollway on the Monash freeway to the West Gate is now 80km/h! This is a TEN LANE dual carriageway road built to freeway specs!) makes it extremely frustrating simply trying to go about your everyday life.
Simple end of the argument is that it's called a SPEED LIMIT, not a suggestion. No we don't get to decide and shit harden up? We don't question WHY murdering is wrong (granted not quite the same level) but law is law.

moto_guy

Banned
I was told once if you don't produce Id or something they could hit you for vagrancy?
The police have the right to ask for your name and address if they believe ‘on reasonable grounds’ you are about to break or have broken the law. Therefore you should provide your name and address if asked. I know in some states as a P plater its an offense to not have your license with you when your driving.

Simple end of the argument is that it's called a SPEED LIMIT, not a suggestion. No we don't get to decide and shit harden up? We don't question WHY murdering is wrong (granted not quite the same level) but law is law.
There really is no simple end to the argument. The speed limits are supposed to be made by road/traffic engineers that can say how fast it is safe to travel on a certain stretch of road. In Victoria this is not the case most of the time. As S. said there is a zone that should be 100 but is still/now 80 whattheduck.

Victoria is a massive nanny state because most drivers down here are incompetent and the roads are terrible. That's why the government hide fixed speed cameras behind overhead signs and in bushes along the hume you can't trust people to be able to drive any faster. Don't quote me on this but I read that Vic has the most revenue raised from speed cameras out of all the states in Australia but it still has one of the biggest road tolls whattheduck

It's bullshit, it doesn't work so you can't justify it.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's bullshit, it doesn't work so you can't justify it.
Road deaths/injuries/etc from incidents involving speed. It's so preventable compared to say, fatigue, if we didn't have speed controls I'm sure there'd be MORE outcry.
Really, it's the law no ifs or buts. Yeah limits should higher, does anyone know that process? A stretch from mullim to the existing 110 zone on the pac highway just jumped from 100...

moto_guy

Banned
Road deaths/injuries/etc from incidents involving speed. It's so preventable compared to say, fatigue, if we didn't have speed controls I'm sure there'd be MORE outcry.
Really, it's the law no ifs or buts. Yeah limits should higher, does anyone know that process? A stretch from mullim to the existing 110 zone on the pac highway just jumped from 100...
The road toll numbers that have speed as a cause may also be subject to the cops wanting to get to the doughnut shop before it closes and saying "ahh yeaaa he was speeding" I don't trust it. I do not believe that just speeding can be the cause of any accident there are always more contributing factors. What if government just want to make more money so they will produce all this data where speeding has been the cause of an accident so they can justify to the public that the speed cameras are there for your safety.

If we didn't have speed controls I think people would be forced to be more attentive and alert drivers.