Little Things You Hate

moorey

call me Mia
The fuckwit who thought he'd do some burning off, on a windy 30o day, in dry thick bush land, 500m from my place. Thanks for the scare and the sleepless night ahead as the firies continue to monitor and mop up. Fuckwit.

wombat

Lives in a hole
The fuckwit who thought he'd do some burning off, on a windy 30o day, in dry thick bush land, 500m from my place. Thanks for the scare and the sleepless night ahead as the firies continue to monitor and mop up. Fuckwit.
Did you report him? Definately worth a call to the cops. They usually take this seriously, especially if you're in a fire risk area, and fuckwits like this generally need a kick up the arse to not do it again.

Little things I hate: customs. Can anyone tell me why brand new car wheels from the US would need a stay in quarantine?

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Did you report him? Definately worth a call to the cops. They usually take this seriously, especially if you're in a fire risk area, and fuckwits like this generally need a kick up the arse to not do it again.

Little things I hate: customs. Can anyone tell me why brand new car wheels from the US would need a stay in quarantine?
The hamsters inside them that make them spin might be carrying diseases?

stoo

Likes Dirt
This is the second day of fire restrictions here, I drove past and saw loads of smoke coming from a bush block and only made the assumption that it was a burnoff when I a pile of sticks.
Did the fire get far from his place? We could see white smoke like a grass fire from here.
He'll get a fine from the firies no doubt.

moorey

call me Mia
This is the second day of fire restrictions here, I drove past and saw loads of smoke coming from a bush block and only made the assumption that it was a burnoff when I a pile of sticks.
Did the fire get far from his place? We could see white smoke like a grass fire from here.
He'll get a fine from the firies no doubt.
8 trucks came, I tried to get a bit closer to see how it was looking, but was sectioned off. They were onto it pretty quick, luckily, and wind was in our favour. Was only 500m away from our joint.
Guy must me a townie burning off on a day like today.

moorey

call me Mia

I'm guessing cfa will handle passing it onto the cops.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Maybe they were in a container that contained something that wasn't allowed? (Drugs/bugs/disease or something like that?)
Or some tax thing?

wombat

Lives in a hole
Or some tax thing?
There was GST and duty on them, which I was expecting (over $1k), along with the customs processing charge, but the quarantine fee I don't get. They should get here tomorrow so I'll see if there's something with the boxes they're in, but in the past I've seen shipments from the same mob just come in fresh, white cardboard boxes, dunno why they'd need quarantine.

As for insurance, I've heard lines like that thrown around as well, but never anything substantial to back it up, especially given that there's plenty of grey import tyres available in Aus as well, which are essentially the same thing. At the end of the day, the tyres on there at the moment are bloody dangerous in the wet, even though they're apparently perfectly road legal, and an Aus. retail item. What's going on should be oodles safer.

scblack

Leucocholic
Wombat, some items can be picked out completely randomly for customs/quarantine inspections. Maybe just pot luck got you.

As for insurance issues. Its so funny hearing from people - "I got told" blah blah etc. READ THE POLICY TERMS if you have any doubts about something. I know its LOTS of pages of reading to get through but it could potentially cost you many thousands if a claim is knocked back. I used to work for a medical insurance company and its so funny hearing the stories from customers about an issue that is written in black and white on the policy - verges on sad also. If they had made the effort to read the policy they would know for themselves.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Wombat, some items can be picked out completely randomly for customs/quarantine inspections. Maybe just pot luck got you.
I don't think that's it as none of the parcels had been opened, they were still in their original packaging, with no sign of any quarantine/customs sealing tape or anything.
It could be because customs had to hold the order for a few days whilst fedex chased me up for the commercial invoice, which apparently wasn't with the shipment.

What really shits me is that the invoice was on the package, just where it should have been, and they'd even opened up the pocket it was in, so they'd obviously seen it!
Fucking muppets had the shipment sitting there for two days though before they even contacted me, after which I emailed them a copy of the invoice (which they already had) and then they passed it through to customs. I'd be pissed if that was the reason that I got the quarantine charge.