Little Things You Hate

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
People who talk bullshit. Not like the occasional exaggeration to enhance a story, but all-out, ridiculous, completely unbelievable lies, straight to your face. How do people get to that state, with that kind of notoriety and still think people believe what they say?

I have a friend who is that person all over. If he didn't tell lies and totally over do EVERYTHING he'd be a great guy but he needs to put on this act to be accepted. It doesn't wash with me and I now avoid the kid when possible.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Sure. Gravity is also a theory, yet unlike the ark story it makes the prediction that when I drop things they accelerate towards the earth at a rate (notwithstanding air resistance) of 9.8 ms-1. We can stand here an test it all day if you want. Totally equivalent.
Does it accelerate, or does time progressively slow down for the object, as it approaches the surface?

I'm not sure relativity ever completely sunk in for me...

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does it accelerate, or does time progressively slow down for the object, as it approaches the surface?

I'm not sure relativity ever completely sunk in for me...
Both could be correct or false. The falling object has potential energy, but does it actually exist at all? I know a guy who re-wrote Einstein's equation as E=Mt(2) where t = local time (rather than light speed which cannot be considered a constant in all places - eg like on the event horizon of a black hole). The premise is that energy doesn't care where it is observed and only local time is relevent to the energy being "observed". Observation turns energy into something tangible, but only within that local time "zone". Like when you "observe" an object that just fell on your head, when someone in the same place, but not in the same time does not observe it. It's all clearer now - yes?

Frazzle

Likes Dirt
Runny noses.. I've had one for the past few days and sitting in uni lectures, constantly sniffling and wanting to blow my nose is horrible.

moorey

call me Mia
Both could be correct or false. The falling object has potential energy, but does it actually exist at all? I know a guy who re-wrote Einstein's equation as E=Mt(2) where t = local time (rather than light speed which cannot be considered a constant in all places - eg like on the event horizon of a black hole). The premise is that energy doesn't care where it is observed and only local time is relevent to the energy being "observed". Observation turns energy into something tangible, but only within that local time "zone". Like when you "observe" an object that just fell on your head, when someone in the same place, but not in the same time does not observe it. It's all clearer now - yes?
My cats breath smells like cat food.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Ticketmaster, what a bunch of incompetent tools!

Took an early lunch and got on their website to try and buy some Radiohead tickets today, waited 15 minutes while it searched for tickets for me, was allocated 3 tickets with a 5 minute reservation time ("Yes!", I think to myself.) Filled out their web form and clicked submit… "There is an error with your form, you must accept the Terms and Conditions before purchasing". Clock is counting down. I double check that I accepted the T&C, yep, definitely did, submit again, no luck. Tick, tick, tick. Having tried everything I could think of, I begin to get frantic. Clock says 10 seconds left. Clock says 0 seconds left… no tickets, reservation ran out, back to the end of the online queue, wait another 10 minutes of processing to be met with a message saying there are no pre-sale tickets left.

I can't believe I had tickets and watched them disappear because I couldn't check them out due to Ticketmaster's stupid programming error. Check your shit before you go live! Dickheads, the lot of them :mad:

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
People who talk bullshit. Not like the occasional exaggeration to enhance a story, but all-out, ridiculous, completely unbelievable lies, straight to your face. How do people get to that state, with that kind of notoriety and still think people believe what they say?
I met somebody just like that last week at a dinner party at Stephen Fry's house.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Dealing with the anti evolution crowd on a regular basis. Today I was doing a museum tour for an elementary school group and had a a mother/teacher/minder take me aside and chastise me for "filling the kids heads with nonsense...
I dare you to go to her church this Sunday and say the same thing.

Mr Kurt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When you say goodbye to someone, and then walk off in the same direction as them. ............... I hate that awkward walk.

stringbean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Runny noses.. I've had one for the past few days and sitting in uni lectures, constantly sniffling and wanting to blow my nose is horrible.
this!!!! i have no spleen so whenever i get the slightest runny nose i have to start smashing cold and flu tablets. sucks ass