Little Things You Hate

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
fixed it for you.

she cannot buy my vote. she's not woman enough, nor (IMO) can she run the country, no different from the other clowns with testicles we have put up with in the past.
Uhhmmm......dare I ask, what would make her 'woman enough'?

Norco Maniac

Is back!
Uhhmmm......dare I ask, what would make her 'woman enough'?
if i'd have said "man enough" would that make it better?

seriously tho, JG has been more against women's rights (in the health sector alone) in her short term than most of the male pollie puppets we've had foisted upon us.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
......O.k. There is another 'Elephant in the room' isn't there Norco Maniac.

Last edited:

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
A Commodore ute? What about a VL? What about a VN with a Clubsport kit on it!

I reckon you're doing all right Plow. You have an honest job and spend some cash on looking after a nice car. I also reckon it is a good reaction to be pissed off knowing there are many people out there getting your tax money that haven't got any intention of working but on the upside you can feel a bit better knowing some of it is helping people out who can't work. The difference between "can't work" and "Don't want to work" is large. In that scenario I'm all for beating the people up who don't want to work. ;)
Over-emotional half-baked rants piss me off at the best of times but when it's in a forum where there are plenty of threads with mature, sensible discussion from both sides of the argument, it just riles me up further.

I personally couldn't give a sh** if shazza and bazza are pocketing a bit extra on the side from Centrelink. As long as they're not taking their 7 kids with them and spending it in any pub I'm drinking in, it doesn't bother me. It certainly pales into insignificance compared to unpaid corporate tax, revenue leaving australia and the financial maneuvering of some of our more well-heeled members of society.

More to the point, this whole "Waaaah, dole bludgers are steeling all my taxis" whinging is straight out of ACA,Today Tonight and the letters page of the Herald Sun. For every 'housos' cast extra there are probably half a dozen families doing it tough because Australia's manufacturing sector has gone straight down the sh***er forcing thousands of Toyota, Alcoa, Qantas, Fairfax etc. workers onto the dole. Are these people all bludgers too? The way things are going in this country, NOBODY is secure from redundancy at the moment! The economy is a bit of a glass house right now so I'd be very careful about throwing stones around.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey POSM, I actually think that the thread was kind of balanced between objective and rant. Salient point about recent unemployment in certain sectors. Do you, or anyone else, think there is a growing group of workers who are under employed? By that I mean people who want to work full-time but can only secure part-time or casual employment.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Hey POSM, I actually think that the thread was kind of balanced between objective and rant. Salient point about recent unemployment in certain sectors. Do you, or anyone else, think there is a growing group of workers who are under employed? By that I mean people who want to work full-time but can only secure part-time or casual employment.
I wasn't discussing the recent posts in the thread, I was justifying my initial arc-up at Plow and Registered Nutcase's sweary rants from this morning.
Certainly manufacturing and retail have been taking a hammering in recent years and there are no doubt many out there whose redundancy packages are going to have to cover not only loss of earnings but also mortgage payments, interest rate changes, retraining and possible relocation.

Secondly, divorce is more and more common these days and whilst many fathers are still paying fortunes in child support, they still have the added expense of having to pay for their own needs (food, housing etc) on top of providing for their kids. The Mum's are no better off either. If they're lucky they may have come away with the house but they no longer have the luxury of a partner to share the burden of parenthood.

And before anybody fires up with any bulls**t stripper-mum, bogan welfare-grabbing mum-of-the-year stereotypes might I remind you that almost 1 in 3 marriages end in divorce. That's a slice of the population that's waaaay bigger than the number of people living in commission housing.

Plow King

Little bit.
Alright this is my last post on the matter unless otherwise questioned. For those who say im generalising im not just going off stereotypical profiles. Its because i have worked in a housing estate and worked with centrelink payment recievers.

Are all people dole bludgers? No.

Are most to slack to get a job? Probably.

You may know freakin 5 people or fanilys who collect welfare and are doing it tough looking for work... I have met and probably been yelled at by about 3000 who couldnt be stuffed even attempting to get work.

We reported that guy with the c63 3 times and centrelink didnt do jack crap about it.

Im suggesting that centrelink actually investigate who needs money as apposed to "lets just give everyone under x beenefit more cash" Or put it towards something useful like creating more jobs.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm with Plow, I hate seeing people take the money 'because they can' instead of 'because they have to'. I know people that need the money to survive (like Hach bee here?) but I also know alot of kids taking the money because it's a free $250 (or whatever it is) a week. That's more then working at the usual casual jobs. There mentality is, why work for less money when I can do SFA and get paid? I hate that...

However, If, one day down the track I move out of home and lose my job for some reason and can't find work quickly.... It's nice to think the system will help me out if I needed it.

It's practically free money and people will always extort it. I couldn't stand being a poor bastard all my life. Fark that.

taitt

Likes Dirt
You CANNOT reasonably live on payments alone. I'm not and don't know another student who'd intentionally not work and live on youth allowance etc, because you simply can't do it.
Who's got two thumbs and does exactly this?

This guy.
:humble:

Mind you, worked full-time during my first 2 degrees until I qualified for youth allowance by age. Take that free money while I can.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
......O.k. There is another 'Elephant in the room' isn't there Norco Maniac.
always, Hamsta. as PoSM has so lucidly put it, for every career dole bludger there's probably 10 or more working poor families doing it tough as the manufacturing sectors in Aus are slowly being moved offshore.

in the early 80's for me it was the knock-on effects of the Wollongong steelworks (the city's largest employer) shedding a third of their workers twice in five years that drove me out of there with no work for a qualified receptionist (unless you had graduated from a private Catholic school) and the demise of the banana industry plus three companies alone going bust in Coffs in a single year, last year that helped me decide to make the move here to SA. in the last month, the factory where my OH works - Clipsal - has shut down a major portion of it's plant and moved it to Korea (i think) leaving 300+ workers out of a job.

IMO it's a flawed system when my hardworking neighbour earns less by doing 5 1/2 days per week at the fibreglass plant than he can pull in on the dole with three kids and a wife as dependents.

Matt H

Eats Squid
Yeah, my youth allowance + rent assistance is well under $500 a fortnight. I wouldn't want to live on that much alone .
Oh and as a university student that isn't studying an entirely useless degree, I am doing this country a favour. So, nyaaaah.

(RN, I'll take some time to tell you why you're wrong when I'm done with exams)

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Come on now Plow… :rolleyes:

575738_10150845826902132_356093376_n.jpg

There are rorters/freeriders in any system.

I understand Dozer's complaint, but I think that argument doesn't take everything into account. Education is a key factor to increasing the standard of living and the general understanding people have for each other. So although some degrees are pretty pointless in terms of creating future economic gain for the nation, they tend to at least make people aware of their place in the world. Its far easier for the government to promote and help people get an education than deal with the social implications of denying the majority of people that opportunity down the track.

I'm studying at uni, living in Sydney and working casually 3 days a week. I know the value of centrelink to me; working 3 days just covers my rent, bills and transport and leaves nothing for food or savings, without centrelink, let alone HECS, I couldn't afford the education I want.

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Okay I'm gunna say something here- yes going to uni is expensive. But you know what, yeah I'm doing the country a favour by getting educated- so I don't sit on the dole for the rest of my life. Qualifications take time and tertiary is no longer a free education. Saying it like you did sounds extremely arrogant. I paid my way through my last two years of high school when I was booted out of home and received no financial support from my parents. You CANNOT reasonably live on payments alone. I'm not and don't know another student who'd intentionally not work and live on youth allowance etc, because you simply can't do it.
Hach if you wanted to really do something to help Australia, get a trade. We as a country are desperately in need of them. Uni is not as important as most uni students seem to think.

People can run a business without formal training (I run a trust structure SMSF without any formal accounting training), but I would like to see you rebuild an engine or work on hydraulics, wire up a house etc without proper training. This is the reason that awful woman Gina Rinehart has to import workers from other countries. We are going down the same road as America, It will be soon everyone has to go to uni otherwise they are considered stupid and will not even get a job as receptionist (no offence to them).

Don't get me wrong, there is defiantly a role for uni's. Such things like Doctors, Lawyers, Science and perhaps engineers should be in uni as they require a higher level, but things like Accountants, Nurses and Business could be run as an apprenticeship without much problem. Accounting principles never really change and it is not THAT complex. Nurses used to be a trade and it is a job where you use your hands exactly like a tradesman. Business already has certificates you can get from Tafe. Why do we need both?

You can actually earn more money these days as a tradesman I know several sparkies earning over 100K a year. My friends that are Licenced Aircraft Maintenance Engineers are on 120K a year with 7 days on 7 days off.

I am not knocking anyone who is going to uni or has gone, just saying that It is not as important as people seem to make it out.

For the record I am currently Studying a Bbus But I have done trade roles previously, If you ate meet from woolworths back in 2007-2008 ods are my knives touched it and the reason I chose to Uni was becuase I don't want to be treated like a second class citizen becuase of my "blue collar" by someone who things they knows better becuase they went to uni.

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Would free tertiary education benefit or hinder the economic (and overall) growth of Australia? Keen to hear some views.