Little Things You Hate

MasterOfReality

After forever
Recruitment agents (or *cough* consultants).

1. Spotted ad on Seek which listed salary and location.
2. Emailed recruiter requesting more details on role.
3. General chat on phone about my background and what type of role and money I am after. Was told they would contact me within a few days.
4. After chat I realised they never actually answered my question about the role.
5. Haven't heard back and its been a week. In my industry, job offers are made over coffee or beer.

I had a feeling that the ad was full of shit but I wanted to see if maybe they were being genuine, and not just trawling for CV's so then they can hassle you every month.

I remember getting a phone call from a recruiter 2 weeks after I started the role I am in now:

Him - "Hi mate, we have a really good role available at the moment, a sweet 8/6 roster, underground copper, flying in company time and competitive salary plus benefits"

Me - "Err, I remember calling your mob months ago when I was looking last time and didn't even get a call back. Sorry but you missed your cut, I have just started a new job"

Him - "But this could be your ticket to the superintendents position. Think of the possibilities. After a few years here you could write your own pay cheque!!"

Me - "Are you serious? I have been here for only two weeks, not even fully inducted yet. Good way to burn my bridges"

Gah, gtfo you idiots.

Don't even get me started on the one that blew up at me when I turned down a job offer in Mt Isa. He thought the commission was in the bag, but his mistake was bloating the base salary by $40k to get applicants and then hoping the successful applicant would fold under pressure and take what was offered. So i strung the fucker along as long as I could.

Far out he lost it on the phone when I told him thanks but no thanks hehe.

Best bit was a year later I was at a pub in Brissie and my cousin brought some mates along who were recruitment agents who worked at the same company as the fuckwit. They knew this guy and told me he had been fired for verbally abusing almost all the job candidates. When I told them about my case they remembered it by how big a tantrum he threw. They all thought he was a fuckwit as well hahah.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My last exam is at 5:45pm today.
All my friends are finished and are either at least finished packing, or completely drunk by now.
I have neither luxury until approx 8pm.

Also having to sit for an hr in exam conditions whilst they reprinted 800 new exam papers because they found a fault with the ones we had as we walked in.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My last exam is at 5:45pm today.
All my friends are finished and are either at least finished packing, or completely drunk by now.
I have neither luxury until approx 8pm.

Also having to sit for an hr in exam conditions whilst they reprinted 800 new exam papers because they found a fault with the ones we had as we walked in.
Special considerations; That does sound rather stressful and performance impeding!

Plow King

Little bit.
The vic roads motorbike crash add. Rider x was going 68 in a 60 zone if he was going 60 he would be fine...

How about if the driver of the car looked before he pulled out it wouldnt have been an issue.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In trying to make a good impression at my first week of work with a new company, I manage to split my jaw open with a glass (if it wasn't tempered I would have glassed myself literally) and then drop an entire tray of about 40 rocks glasses when the rail I was putting them on gave way.

LTIH looking like an idiot- especially when I'm never like this at work. :sad:

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
The vic roads motorbike crash add. Rider x was going 68 in a 60 zone if he was going 60 he would be fine...

How about if the driver of the car looked before he pulled out it wouldnt have been an issue.
And if the rider had been going 80, he would've been well past the car before it pulled out.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^^^^^^^^^^^Insomnia.....I am neither stressed nor depressed, but I can feel a bout coming on. I have not had any red cordial nor excessive caffeine today, but I cannot nor will not most likely sleep for the next 48 hours, and this quacks me off.

Last edited:

MasterOfReality

After forever
Insomnia pisses me right off.

I haven't slept for about three days now. Last night was just lying there awake. This has been going on for at least 9 months now.

My sleep pattern is typically go to bed at 10pm, wake up between 1am - 2am and then spend the rest of the morning waiting for my alarm to go off at 5:15am. When I wake up early, its like I'm ready to go to work and not a gradual wake up.

So at best I get 4 hours light sleep.

But when I'm travelling between mine sites and sleeping in dongas, I pass out until my alarm goes off? wtf.

Went to the doctor last week and he prescribed me Temazepan and said something about having to reset my sleep clock. So I went home and that night I popped a sleeping tablet and zonked out....until 2am when I woke up suddenly. So strike that one out. I also have some Imovane which another doctor gave me to take on international flights and that stuff works, but leaves a horrible bitter taste the next morning. Hmmm, might pop one of those beauties tonight.

Also changed my pillow from a latex dunlopillo to a memory foam contoured dunlopillo, which seems to be doing sfa.

Also tried the nightcaps, which seem to work :p

Any other suggestions?

MasterOfReality

After forever
Back to a site job MOR,

Or work harder between latte's when you're in the city.

:):):):):):):):):):):):)
Don't laugh, I'm giving serious consideration to it! Wifey wouldn't be impressed though but she realises it comes with the territory and understands that at any time we can pack up and move state for work.

Time for another coffee I think.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Interrupted sleep LTIH. How do the kids know when I'm most tired or need to get up early to wake in the middle of the night? I don't tell them, and yet... If I 'want' to get up early, ie for a ride etc, sleep through no problem it seems to be only when I really want my sleep.

TonyG

Likes Dirt
Don't laugh, I'm giving serious consideration to it! Wifey wouldn't be impressed though but she realises it comes with the territory and understands that at any time we can pack up and move state for work.

Time for another coffee I think.
I've suffered insomnia all my life (and I'm nearing 40). I have found that all the pills in the world can't help in the long term.
The issue is usually to do with your "mind" (for lack of a better word) getting over-stimulated during your sleeping hours. Then frustration sets in, which sets off more stimulation. I learnt to develop my sleep patterns off training my kids!! It's all about starting a routine, this will work differently for all people but here's mine.

1 - Finish watching tv/surfing the net around 9.30ish. The later I watch the more likely it is I'll have a bad sleep that night.
2 - No eating or drinking of anything after 9pm either, this also can have a delayed reaction.
3 - Hot shower
4 - Read a novel (fiction) for around 30 - 45 mins. I say fiction as you want to distance your thoughts from your daily issues.
5 - Book down, turn off the light and hopefully straight to sleep.

moorey

call me Mia
I sleep with earbuds in all night. Distracts my mind from racing 100mph. Generally podcasts. Doesnt need to be rivetting, just interesting enough to distract me.
Been through everything you are going through. Tried everything else. Works for me.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
I had sleeping problems as a child, one thing that always always always got me to have a good night sleep was a whale songs tape. I wish i still had it...

Be careful with listening to things though, disruptions right at the start of REM will cause the body to wake up partially. Saw a great doco on sbs called Dead Tired, it's worth checking out. IIRC they talk about methods to help get to sleep and stay asleep.