Little Things You Hate

moorey

call me Mia
I used to enjoy this when I had time. Another personal favourite is say “hang on I’ll get my mum/dad” and then hand the phone to the kids to continue the negotiation.
Until the kids download the app they want or hand over passwords and CC numbers :oops:
My daughter, particularly is bloody credulous about being sucked into stuff. I’m on the Commitee at her school having input into the curriculum. I’m lobbying for critical thinking component for all kids. Being a catholic school, they probably don’t want that.
Who are you?

And what have you done with Craig?

And, yes they do. Critical of Homosexuals, abortion, free choice, anyone who isn't in their cult, sexual abuse laws....

it's a nice bridge...
Well…I’m not sending them to Mt Clear SC…..or paying $20k+ for the private schools. I’d rather they pretend to worship Jebus a few hours a week.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Until the kids download the app they want or hand over passwords and CC numbers :oops:
My daughter, particularly is bloody credulous about being sucked into stuff. I’m on the Commitee at her school having input into the curriculum. I’m lobbying for critical thinking component for all kids. Being a catholic school, they probably don’t want that.

Well…I’m not sending them to Mt Clear SC…..or paying $20k+ for the private schools. I’d rather they pretend to worship Jebus a few hours a week.
Mt Clear will harden them up.

Quinn might even start pedaling....and think if all the free hubcaps they'll bring home at 3am on a Wednesday after a 3 day binge drinking bender that the school organised as extra curricular activity.

it's a nice bridge...

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I'm grateful we have decent state run schools with good investment. I couldn't stomach wasting my child's time worshiping a sky fairy when they could be doing sports or learning a new language.

moorey

call me Mia
I'm grateful we have decent state run schools with good investment. I couldn't stomach wasting my child's time worshiping a sky fairy when they could be doing sports or learning a new language.
You haven’t met the principal at Mt Clear. The options are to go where you are zoned or pay up. The catholic option is actually pretty good if you can tolerate the god bothering bit. From my work perspective, I have to deal with all the schools in the region. I can assure you that paying $20,000 or more doesn’t guarantee I panacea for good education.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I can assure you that paying $20,000 or more doesn’t guarantee I panacea for good education.
Agree !

In a ~6-7km radius of my place, we have about 8 of the most expensive schools in the state, all 15k+ a year for year 8.
My 2 go to Blackwood, reckon it's $1000 a year. They got a new principal a couple of years before my boys started and was the most impressive by fair gap over 90% of the private schools. $25 million STEM centre, loads of cash spent on extensions, got VET courses for year 10 and over... and most of their mates went there.

#1 Son is doing work experience at my workplace which allows him to start Lv1 in Electrotechnology next year (sparky qual) in place of Japanese.

moorey

call me Mia
Not all private schools are religious focused, you know? Also, Not all religious schools force you to play along.
They still do sport and language, you know? They have to follow curriculum standards.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Not all private schools are religious focused, you know? Also, Not all religious schools force you to play along.
They still do sport and language, you know? They have to follow curriculum standards.
Yeah, but they do spend time on sky fairy too obviously. Hambo wants no sport or language time to be wasted on sky fairy.

Who cares really. You make the best decisions for your own kids.

EDIT: My eldest goes to the local catholic school cause it's cheap and a nice little school. I don't care whether the talk about religious stuff occasionally or not.

moorey

call me Mia
Yeah, but they do spend time on sky fairy too obviously. Hambo wants no sport or language time to be wasted on sky fairy.

Who cares really. You make the best decisions for your own kids.

EDIT: My eldest goes to the local catholic school cause it's cheap and a nice little school. I don't care whether the talk about religious stuff occasionally or not.
For sure. I’ve been atheist for 35 years. I’m pragmatic though. While Aus is a secular country, Christianity is still the default setting.
I don’t really care what people believe, as long as they don’t expect that their belief should inform what I do and how society works.

Jpez

Down on the left!
There’s a first for everything. I basically agree with Hambones sentiment.
I don’t want my kid going to a catholic school or other wise because religion is pure fantasy. If I want my kid reading, talking, discussing fantasy I’ll give her a Tolkien book.
Religion has so so much to answer for. The last thing I want is for her to be in that setting. Even if they only talk about it once a week the backbone of the school philosophy is based on Hambones sky fairy. Nah thanks.
It would suck to be in a position where that is the only option but we made sure that wasn’t the case.
kinda sux as there is a nice little school in our street. But it’s catholic. Not a chance in the world that was even considered.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I don't have kids, so I'm basically @Haakon in this, but I did have some exposure to religious (Presbyterian) schooling for a couple of years as a kid.

The one thing I would say is that like all things school-related, it's what happens at home that seems to make the biggest difference. My old man grew up in the Salvation Army (and my Grandma/Auntie are still heavily involved) and wholly rejected it as a teenager. My mum is from a family of doctors and scientists etc. Religion was just never a thing that was given credence in our home when I was growing up. So for the couple of years I spent at a religious school when I was 11/12 I, like ~90% of my classmates, sat in weekly "chapel" and R.E. lessons mostly baiting the teacher with blasphemy and talking about rugby. Other than that, it was a great school.

I can see that for young kids who don't have the tendency to scepticism of teenagers there's probably a different dynamic at play and I'd be more cautious in that context.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I was brought up with pretty religious parents (of the paganism variety), but it was never forced on us. It was simply just something the parents did and they were happy to answer questions if my brother and I had any.

But otherwise it was considered that whether it was something we should be involved in was something we should figure out on our own.

I learnt to appreciate that as an adult. I never did find any interest in religion, especially the more pushy Christian and Muslim flavours. But whatever floats your boat, so long as you don’t expect me to be interested in whatever particular sky fairy you enjoy.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I was brought up with pretty religious parents (of the paganism variety), but it was never forced on us. It was simply just something the parents did and they were happy to answer questions if my brother and I had any.

But otherwise it was considered that whether it was something we should be involved in was something we should figure out on our own.

I learnt to appreciate that as an adult. I never did find any interest in religion, especially the more pushy Christian and Muslim flavours. But whatever floats your boat, so long as you don’t expect me to be interested in whatever particular sky fairy you enjoy.
I'm less concerned about the effect on my children as we're not religious at all, but instead on a country wide influence. If they restricted religion like they do alcohol and cigarettes to over 18s, it would die out pretty quickly.

Also, I refuse to support a product that hasn't updated its user manual for 2,000 years.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I'm less concerned about the effect on my children as we're not religious at all, but instead on a country wide influence. If they restricted religion like they do alcohol and cigarettes to over 18s, it would die out pretty quickly.

Also, I refuse to support a product that hasn't updated its user manual for 2,000 years.
Agreed. It’s borderline child abuse indoctrinating children who don’t know better.

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
My kids go to Catholic school - good luck getting them to believe in a higher power in any way shape or form, but that's my kids. Wife is Catholic and I'm franklins no name branded. We decided on the Catholic school because it was a better school and that's it. I encourage all discussions on all topics, one being religion. I believe it has it's place, it's just not for me but am happy to discuss with the kids on the pros and cons whilst actually looking at both sides. If they had a desire to be more religious focused I'd encourage them in every way. I find if you talk to your kids and actually explain stuff, both of you can learn stuff. Weird right?