Little Things You Hate

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
My kids go to Catholic school - good luck getting them to believe in a higher power in any way shape or form, but that's my kids. Wife is Catholic and I'm franklins no name branded. We decided on the Catholic school because it was a better school and that's it. I encourage all discussions on all topics, one being religion. I believe it has it's place, it's just not for me but am happy to discuss with the kids on the pros and cons whilst actually looking at both sides. If they had a desire to be more religious focused I'd encourage them in every way. I find if you talk to your kids and actually explain stuff, both of you can learn stuff. Weird right?
Do you discuss the merits of flat earth or homoeopathy too?

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
I discuss both - my point is backed with the scientific evidence that I know of and then I try to also explain, where possible, why other people have differing opinions. I see similarities in the above examples where both might be explained by a lack of knowledge, or a misinterpretation scientific principles and / or observations and use it as a tool to further their education.

HamboCairns

I discuss both - my point is backed with the scientific evidence that I know of and then I try to also explain, where possible, why other people have differing opinions. I see similarities in the above examples where both might be explained by a lack of knowledge, or a misinterpretation scientific principles and / or observations and use it as a tool to further their education.
But that's not how religious studies are taught is it. It goes back to Moorey wanting to introduce critical thinking studies and how that would conflict with a religious school's agenda.

I think schools should teach religion but from an historical and cultural perspective. It helps everyone to understand people's beliefs and perspectives.

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
But that's not how religious studies are taught is it.
It's a surprisingly small part of their curriculum and they do actually go into a fair bit of the historical and cultural aspects - of course they are still pushing their flavour, it's a catholic school. But for less than an hour a week in primary and elective only studies in high school I'm not that worried that they'll be insta converted. I know I'm sounding like a Catholic fan boi I'm actually indifferent, I'm just trying to point out that it ain't a brainwashing machine that people assume. You mileage may vary with what's local to you - we picked this school as it was the better one. Anyway that's it for me on schools, just trying to offer a different point of view from an experienced standpoint - fruitless exercise I know on the interwebs, but I'm killing time "at work" before I crack a beer

Minlak

custom titis
Agreed. It’s borderline child abuse indoctrinating children who don’t know better.
Huh? - many families are religious and have their beliefs - it is not unreasonable to expect them to raise their children the same way - when the child is old enough to make their own decision so be it.
What we need to do is teach tolerance so people don’t automatically assume different to them is wrong.

HamboCairns

Are scripture lessons in public schools not a thing anymore?
All my detentions in school came from those weekly half hour classes.
They are and I choose for my child not to have to sit through that rubbish. I've called for general religious study, not religion as fact.

HamboCairns

FWIW, I can almost guarantee you subscribe to numerous pseudo sciences, quackery false beliefs….you just haven’t realised or are in denial.
Maybe and I'm happy to be corrected. But if those pseudo sciences were taught as fact in schools today then that's a problem.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Huh? - many families are religious and have their beliefs - it is not unreasonable to expect them to raise their children the same way - when the child is old enough to make their own decision so be it.
What we need to do is teach tolerance so people don’t automatically assume different to them is wrong.
That’s why I used the word borderline… Many kids survive the treatment ok, many are very very fucked up by it.

Jpez

Down on the left!
“Insert deleted long reply”
Decided not worth it - religion is too polarising
And deadly. Is there a bigger reason for mass pogroms, extermination’s, cultural genocide, war after wars and take overs because ‘my god is better than your god’ or ‘you must now believe in my god’ ?
Fuck that shit. The sooner mankind matures and realises we don’t need religion and fuck it right off the better.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Why wouldn't you discuss religion with your kids?

Any smart parent would want their children to be fully armed with an understanding of different beliefs, cultures, politics, sexualities, etc, and the tools to make their own informed decisions.

Would you disown you kids if the decided they believe in god, budda, the great spaghetti Monster? Of if they told you they were gay, trans, liberal, a roadie, veganor a flat earther?

You're opinions are yours, and they make sense to you, but if you expect your kids to adopt them without the opertunity to make their own decisions, right or wrong, dumb or smart, you're no better than the god bothers you think you're protecting them from.

Edit: okay, the roadie and vegan things are genuine reasons to disown your kids, but I stand by the rest.

it's a nice bridge...