Little Things You Hate

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
LTIH... the bullshit pricing on mtb specific tooling.
Picked up some 36s and want to change the air shaft. The price for a Fox top cap tool is $56 and the removal tools are around $80-120 each (and you'd need both due to sizing). $100 for a piece a metal with the sole purpose of being smacked with a hammer!
I know you can get around these with alternatives, but that's just insane pricing
That would be 4 sockets out of a nice set with rusty ground off lips - 26, 28, 30 and 32mm :confused:
Just cut a cheap ring spanner in half and grind the chamfer off. Then you can swap out tokens on the trail.

IMG_20230428_164743.jpg

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Go crazy and put a Luftkappe in there. Noticeable improvement imo.
Hmmm... got some nightshift researching to do. You never know how long the wait for the Onyx might be ;)

$125 is a good price.

@kten the installation looks pretty straight forward but what is the 12mm Crow's Foot for, cant find it on the Fox disassembly or Vorsprung fit up.

Anything I should know about the install ?

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Just keep going with working alternatives, then when they suddenly change the foot nut size, you wont feel like a tool.

I'm still even taking the air caps off with a regular chamfered socket, its never slipped. Press down nice and firm with the palm of your hand and know what direction to turn it. My new 38 came with 3 volume spacers in there, its been off twice in the last few weeks. Only 1 spacer in there now... might even give it a run with none.

View attachment 399180
Similar approach on my manitou’s. Thin wall 8mm socket? Take a file to one of the normal ones I already have. Special half cut manitou fork tool? Hello angle grinder and $10 cassette tool.
Not the tidiest of solutions but it works and I don’t have to buy their super specific overpriced stuff:

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
The newer 'smaller' Shimano BB's also use this tool. So it does both BB and direct mount chainring.

If you buy a set of XT/XTR cranks, one comes in the box. Not sure about SLX and below.
So glad they made another thing to justify their standard. These were XT cranks, nothing in the box for me ☹.
I’m sure there’s some other reasons for going this way, but it just seems to be an ever diverging mess of new standard fittings at the moment.
I prefer the Banshee / Santa Cruz / Hope approach of old, if there’s no significant benefit, then stick with the old way and let the customer choose. Threaded BB’s instead of just jumping on the latest standard, pick your wheel size based on dropouts in case you still want 26”, pick your hub spacing in case you don’t want to be forced into boost. That was clever engineering.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Just cut a cheap ring spanner in half and grind the chamfer off. Then you can swap out tokens on the trail.

View attachment 399183
MRP Ramp Control can give you the bling option of spending more money without having to touch a spanner.

They come up cheap from time to time when someone does a fork upgrade. I have been lucky to snag one for the 5010 and Nickel. Only comes into play when you are reaching the end of the fork travel anyhow.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Drive for over an hour in sunny sunshine to go for a ride, get here and just as I put my helmet on it starts chucking it down. Wait for a gap and try for a pedal, slippery slow going and first run I get approx. 1kg of shit in my eyes because of course I didn't bring my fucking goggles.

0-1mm rain today my arse fuck you BOM you carry less predictive weight than a fucking astrologist.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

These were XT cranks, nothing in the box for me ☹.
Strange, after a bit of Hamboing it looks like if you buy the crankset, so crank arms and chainring as a package, you get the FC41 tool.

Looks like crank arms alone do not come with the tool... though Pushys have advised someone on the crank arm listing 'questions' that the arms do come with a tool, which might be a mistake.

Faaak knows, very inconsistent if it is like this as its a lotto if you have to buy a $25 FC41 tool after the fact, waiting another *week before riding.

SCA_221212_hi-res.jpg

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mice - little fuckers got into the garage and found their way into my riding bag, which just happened to have a few energy gels stashed in a pocket. The interior of the bag is now a lovely sticky mess.
They somehow managed to have a little nibble on my water bladder as well, which now leaks. :mad:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Strange, after a bit of Hamboing it looks like if you buy the crankset, so crank arms and chainring as a package, you get the FC41 tool.

Looks like crank arms alone do not come with the tool... though Pushys have advised someone on the crank arm listing 'questions' that the arms do come with a tool, which might be a mistake.

Faaak knows, very inconsistent if it is like this as its a lotto if you have to buy a $25 FC41 tool after the fact, waiting another *week before riding.

View attachment 399208
I picked up one of these when I got my XT direct mount crankset. It is a PITA that these sort of things are rarely included anymore.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOLgJAc

ozzybmx

I picked up one of these when I got my XT direct mount crankset. It is a PITA that these sort of things are rarely included anymore.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOLgJAc

It is but at least if you know its not included you can make arrangements to have the crank and tool arrive around about the same time.

I reckon the Pushys employee has made a mistake on the crank arm only option having a tool.

Also for people working out that buying the complete crankset might be marginally more expensive than buying the arms and ring separate... not factoring in a $15-$25 tool with a 1-3 week wait.

A quick panicked visit to a LBS when you realise there is no FC41 could be a $40 experience.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
It is but at least if you know its not included you can make arrangements to have the crank and tool arrive around about the same time.

I reckon the Pushys employee has made a mistake on the crank arm only option having a tool.

Also for people working out that buying the complete crankset might be marginally more expensive than buying the arms and ring separate... not factoring in a $15-$25 tool with a 1-3 week wait.

A quick panicked visit to a LBS when you realise there is no FC41 could be a $40 experience.
The AliExpress crankset sure didn't have one, as you would expect. I totally missed it at the time.

Waiting for the chainring tool to arrive was good enough for me to fix a first world problem :)

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I've bought a couple of cranksets (without chainring) in the past and received the tool, but just bought another set a few weeks back and didn't get the tool with them (to the point that I just did an 'unboxing' to check as I hadn't even opened the postal bag to check the cranks until just now...). Bit shit that they've started leaving it out.

ausdb

Being who he is
I've bought a couple of cranksets (without chainring) in the past and received the tool, but just bought another set a few weeks back and didn't get the tool with them (to the point that I just did an 'unboxing' to check as I hadn't even opened the postal bag to check the cranks until just now...). Bit shit that they've started leaving it out.
I think this is more a $himano thing trying to maintain profit margins as much as anything. I bought an XT bottom bracket recently and saw a lot of references to it being supplied with an adapter to use the larger BB tool on the net. I purchased from 99 bikes in retail packaging and their website made it expliciitly clear the adapter was not supplied. It wasn't an issue for me as my BB spanner does multiple sizes but would make you less inclined to buy if you knew you had to add the cost of the adapter or another BB tool..