Little Things You Hate

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
Sounds like an "asking for a friend" scenario...... :p

Depends on how delicate/fragile the box thing is, but logic would suggest restraining it in some way to reduce the personal effort of tightening the bolt - you're working twice as hard to torque if holding by hand to resist the torque from the wrench.
if AFaF, this would be in CotFW for cuts and bruises :D

Literally sent a photo of my mini TW collection (2-210Nm) to demonstrate that they come in different lengths and torque ranges... (ie, if a 20cm long TW at the top of it's range is too hard to use... mayyyybe use a size or so up in the middle or lower end of its range?)

~4" sized steel box thing.... 10mm thick steel with sharp edges.. a bunch of them in a trebuchet could really do some damage :D
with say 50Nm, 2" lever = 100kg force on the corners? (i forget my statics... 2" or 4" lever if neither corner restrained?)

SOP = put in vice, because... common sense no?

1706694418762.png

*aaaand.. breathe.....

Last edited:

zac

Likes Dirt
The price of a rear shock … fk me dead - what happened ?
$600 for a shock and that’s the ‘ low end ‘

I’m looking at the DNM from cycling deal I figure I can buy 4- 6 of them … I mean one has to be okay ?
seriously tho this is madness .

even a service kit is $80
What size are you looking at? I've just got a Bomber cr and will probably offload the DNM RL (the gold one) cheaply in the near future...

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
if AFaF, this would be in CotFW for cuts and bruises :D

Literally sent a photo of my mini TW collection (2-210Nm) to demonstrate that they come in different lengths and torque ranges... (ie, if a 20cm long TW at the top of it's range is too hard to use... mayyyybe use a size or so up in the middle or lower end of its range?)

~4" sized steel box thing.... 10mm thick steel with sharp edges.. a bunch of them in a trebuchet could really do some damage :D
with say 50Nm, 2" lever = 100kg force on the corners? (i forget my statics... 2" or 4" lever if neither corner restrained?)

SOP = put in vice, because... common sense no?

View attachment 406595
*aaaand.. breathe.....
Saw this sucker at the calibration blokes shop the other day!

IMG_4987.jpeg

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
people that don't understand torque wrenches...... or things....

*rant... say you're trying to put a decent amount of torque on a bolt, going into a box type thing that is a lot shorter than the torque wrench.....
would you try and restrain the small box thing? or just hold that by hand and assume it will be easy?????? :D

View attachment 406594
My eternal struggle with apprentices trying to undo bolts on round things that are not bolted down.

Last edited:

Ultra Lord

Saw this sucker at the calibration blokes shop the other day!

View attachment 406599
I have similar at work.

Been used twice in the 11yrs I’ve been here, once was for funsies on a M16 bolt.
Reduced 3/4” drive down to 3/8”,and timed it perfectly for the bossman to see after he was ranting about productivity and people fucking around earlier that morning.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub

*rant... say you're trying to put a decent amount of torque on a bolt, going into a box type thing that is a lot shorter than the torque wrench.....
would you try and restrain the small box thing? or just hold that by hand and assume it will be easy?????? :D

View attachment 406594
This is what you need. ;)
1706738150697.png

dazz

Downhill Dazz

View attachment 406594
The normal thing to do is have someone else hold the box thing. Then get pissy with them for not holding it still while your swinging off the TW.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm having an awful run with FB buy/sell at the moment, have offered to buy items if the seller will post (at my expense) but they refuse.
Fully aware Auspost is useless but surely money in your pocket is better than having something sit on your shelf out of principal

Ultra Lord

Renovating bathrooms.
Waterproofing went and i figured in for a penny may aswell redo it because it’s fucken green and gross and the layout makes zero sense with the worlds shittest tiny vanity in the largest space.
Can’o’wormies have been opened and I’m over it.